Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
GustavoB
Enthusiast
GustavoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How can I make my PDF reader software store the page I'm reading on Calibre database?

I use Calibre and I read books on 2 computers - via network. Is there a way to:

1 - Make my PDF reader store the page I'm reading on Calibre database?
2 - Make Calibre force the PDF reader to open at this page?

I'm using Adobe Acrobat as PDF reader, but If it can be done with another PDF reader then I'm gonna switch.
GustavoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You add code to Calibre and the ereader software to communicate and store the current page. Or you pay someone to do that. Or you explain why this is desirable and that way make others want to make these changes for free.

It is already possible to store the current reading position between several devices, using an ereader that send and store the position to some file on the internet/the cloud. This might be enough? If you wish to publish or post this information, it might be easiest to do so directly from the modified ereader, without involving Calibre. Or Calibre could read the reading position from the cloud when needed. That way Calibre doesn't have to be running while you're reading.

If you can figure out exactly how some existing ereader store the reading position in the cloud, then you should be able to write a plugin to Calibre that can read this reading position.

Calibre is open sourced, so the code is available for updates by you or anyone else. If you choose an ereader that also is open sourced, then that code also is available. However it might be best if you can get the code included in the official code, that way you can keep updating Calibre and the ereader.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
as a starter - the free program pdf-xchange-viewer remembers current page of each pdf opened. I don't know where it stores that info but it should not be too hard to find. synching between 2 computers will be harder though
http://www.tracker-software.com/prod...xchange-viewer
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
database