Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Remember that when you add books inside calibre it copies them to it's folder. So any change you did inside calibre will not be reflected on your previous folder where you put all of your books. Calibre never touched on the books that were in the folder that ADE used. So if you did some changes with calibre on some books those are still in the calibre folder.

If the files are not in the right format calibre will convert them when sending them to your Kobo. Remember that with calibre and your Kobo plugged in you need to use the send to device button so it can convert the files that are not in a supported format (you might need to set your preferred file format in the preferences->behavior). Also since you added books multiple times check if your don't have multiples books per entry in calibre (Edit metadata look at the top right) and also don't have duplicate entries.

And Forget ADE completely unless you have DRM books. Don't be afraid that your books will get deleted or you won't find them inside calibre. Just backup your entire calibre directory.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #17
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
Remember that when you add books inside calibre it copies them to it's folder. So any change you did inside calibre will not be reflected on your previous folder where you put all of your books. Calibre never touched on the books that were in the folder that ADE used. So if you did some changes with calibre on some books those are still in the calibre folder.

If the files are not in the right format calibre will convert them when sending them to your Kobo. Remember that with calibre and your Kobo plugged in you need to use the send to device button so it can convert the files that are not in a supported format (you might need to set your preferred file format in the preferences->behavior). Also since you added books multiple times check if your don't have multiples books per entry in calibre (Edit metadata look at the top right) and also don't have duplicate entries.

And Forget ADE completely unless you have DRM books. Don't be afraid that your books will get deleted or you won't find them inside calibre. Just backup your entire calibre directory.

So is it basically the same principle between Calibre and ADE as Windows Media player and ITunes then? I only add what I want to ITunes and it is not the same as WMP?

Also if I backup the Calibre folder and also My Digital Editions folder, what happens if I have to reinstall ADE or Calibre after maybe a reformat of my pc?

Do I just re add the folders then?

Do I not need the folder I created with Epubs in?
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Also if I backup the Calibre folder and also My Digital Editions folder, what happens if I have to reinstall ADE or Calibre after maybe a reformat of my pc?

Do I just re add the folders then?

Do I not need the folder I created with Epubs in?
After restoring Calibre folder, you will have all books back which you handled with Calibre. Your own epubs folder you created is not needed because calibre creates always a copy of books when it is imported to Calibre.

For ADE, I think you need to somehow reauthorize your books after restore, but I have never done that so I don't really know.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
After restoring Calibre folder, you will have all books back which you handled with Calibre. Your own epubs folder you created is not needed because calibre creates always a copy of books when it is imported to Calibre.

For ADE, I think you need to somehow reauthorize your books after restore, but I have never done that so I don't really know.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #20
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post

Not sure about Calibre, but for ADE instead of the DRMed book files it would be best to keep the .acsm files which allow you to download the books into ADE. Another option would be to find a way to remove the DRM from those files. The reason for this is that the ebook files get registered to your ADE instance, if your ADE instance gets reinstalled, all those ebook files will have the wrong 'key' to allow your new instance of ADE to read them.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
As long as you have the same Kobo account and the same ADE account all the way through installs, re-authorizations, etc, you will not have a problem with your ADE DRM books. In the course of events, I have had to go to Adobe three times to ask them to reset my authorizations. It has NOT caused locked books, never, nope.

I have also downloaded the books from Kobo in ePUB format several times on different computers, and again, as long as I used the same Kobo account and the same ADE account I had no problems and no locked books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #22
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
As long as you have the same Kobo account and the same ADE account all the way through installs, re-authorizations, etc, you will not have a problem with your ADE DRM books. In the course of events, I have had to go to Adobe three times to ask them to reset my authorizations. It has NOT caused locked books, never, nope.

I have also downloaded the books from Kobo in ePUB format several times on different computers, and again, as long as I used the same Kobo account and the same ADE account I had no problems and no locked books.
Ah I stand corrected.. :P I checked back with my ADE and realized it was true only when I was using ADE with mobipocket when borrowing books from the library.. Overdrive for the Hawaii libraries don't support mobipocket books anymore so I guess it's moot now...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hawaii, hummmmm. I guess it's not -14C where you are right now.

There is one more thing to keep in mind, when I say Adobe ADE, i am actually talking about the Adept version of ADE that Kobo and Sony and a whole lot of other places use. Nook books use a different form of Adobe DRM with a different algorithm. They will not play nicely together on your Kobo.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #24
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Hawaii, hummmmm. I guess it's not -14C where you are right now.

There is one more thing to keep in mind, when I say Adobe ADE, i am actually talking about the Adept version of ADE that Kobo and Sony and a whole lot of other places use. Nook books use a different form of Adobe DRM with a different algorithm. They will not play nicely together on your Kobo.
Nope, More like 28C right now..

I wasn't aware there were different versions of the ADE..

btw.. What is the Karma number that shows up with all that other stuff on the left?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Karma is a way to show your approval for something someone says or does on the forum. The more posts you have written, the more Karma you have to give away. There are people that hang out a lot on the forums for off topic activity, share jokes, etc who get a whole lot of their Karma that way. It has also become little bit of a game to make the karma in someone's total come out to be a noteworthy number. My Karma got some really big increases when one of the Kobo forum guys (Hi Terminator) sorta made me his Karma project, hehehe.

I love giving Karma. I spread it around when all I could give was single digit rewards, and I love it even more when I can give waaaay more than that.

BTW: I notice when my numbers change. I then click on my CP (profile) and thank the people who have given it to me. It (both giving and acknowledging) can be a good way to build some very nice relationships here.

Last edited by taming; 11-16-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #26
polli
Zealot

Quote:

Old 11-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite

BTW: I keep a back-up of my ADE books (and I keep a back-up of magically non DRM books as well) and I really try not to redownload the ADE books. My understanding is that Kobo has to pay something in the area of 20 cents each time a book is requested/downloaded through the Adobe servers. I try not to increase Kobo's costs, figuring that it increases prices down the road.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #28
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Karma is a way to show your approval for something someone says or does on the forum.
- Very useful explanation on karma snipped -
Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea what was going one except that suddenly my karma went from a few hundred to a few tens of thousands. I should see which of my postings made me so popular. And I've started giving out karma too.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote