Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
New Kindle DX coming anytime soon?

Hey all, I'm considering getting a Kindle DX in the next few months (for its nice big screen to read pdf's on), but am wondering if there's perhaps a new version in the offing, in which case I'd wait for that. Are there any rumours to that effect?
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
This is just my two cents so take it for what it's worth: I think with the advent of the new Amazon tablet coming, I highly doubt Amazon will continue to develop the DX platform.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
Hey all, I'm considering getting a Kindle DX in the next few months (for its nice big screen to read pdf's on), but am wondering if there's perhaps a new version in the offing, in which case I'd wait for that. Are there any rumours to that effect?
Do they even offer the old ones, DX and/or DX Graphite, anymore?
I haven't seen them around for quite some time.
I think they've cancelled it some months ago due to lack of demand ($ 100 to $ 150 seems to be the price range needed).
BTW: I love mine, though.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX is still for sale. It is listed on the website and everything.

I would hope that they would continue to offer a large screen e-reader because I don't want to read on a LCD screen and I love my DXG.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
The UK store doesn't seem to offer the DX. Lots of accessories, however.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know if the DX was ever sold outside of the US. For some reason I thought it was a US only offer but I could be totally wrong about that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
New Kindle DX ...
It seems that Amazon abandoned KDX long time ago.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think the original plan for the DX line was to push school books for secondary and especially college classes and have a large screen on which to read them. However that plan was pretty much dead at birth. The big experiments Amazon was conducting at select colleges don't seem to have panned out. As a matter of fact I don't recall ever hearing a word as to how those trial runs even turned out. And with the current price of a Kindle DXG at $380 USD, and with their firmware at least half a generation behind the Kindle 3, I doubt they sell many of them. I suspect they might keep the current model for a while but I would be really surprised if they released an updated version.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't know if the DX was ever sold outside of the US. For some reason I thought it was a US only offer but I could be totally wrong about that.
It's only sold at amazon.com, but anyone (including people in the UK) can buy it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think the original plan for the DX line was to push school books for secondary and especially college classes and have a large screen on which to read them. However that plan was pretty much dead at birth.
The introductory price was very high and PDF support nowhere good enough for school textbook use.
Quote:
And with the current price of a Kindle DXG at $380 USD, and with their firmware at least half a generation behind the Kindle 3, I doubt they sell many of them.
It is currently #21 in electronics and, surprisingly, climbing.

The one day sale this past spring for $300 sent it to #3 in electronics.
Quote:
I suspect they might keep the current model for a while but I would be really surprised if they released an updated version.
Well, if they are waiting for increased sales before lowering the price and/or improving the software and/or hardware, we have a Catch 22 situation.

Maybe Havlon, Onyx, or Pocketbook will get their act together and there will be a decent large screen e-ink reader for PDF.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool maybe it exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
...Maybe Havlon, Onyx, or Pocketbook will get their act together and there will be a decent large screen e-ink reader for PDF.
Pocketbook
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Maybe they'll release a touch version of the DX. I wouldn't mind that size in an eink device. As long as it's relatively light. I'm sure many like the keyboard and wouldn't be interested.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Pocketbook screens are not Pearl.

Everyone's comfort level is different, but the Pocketbook forum on mobileread has many threads regarding hardware and firmware problems and PDF reader deficiencies (said deficiencies not as bad as Kindle, though).

In any case, I am in the USA and PB 903 not available to me.

If PB gets its act together and makes 902 like model with Pearl screen, I will strongly consider it.

If Onyx M92 rumor is true, and the buttons are reliable, and it does not inherit M9x dieing while suspended problem, I will strongly consider Onyx M92.

It will take quite a long and strong track record of curing IR and capacitive sensor problems before I consider Onyx M9[0-1].

The 1200x1600 screen of the Hanlon is very tempting, but who knows if the processor can handle it or how reliable Hanlons will be.

It would be trivial for Amazon to update DX PDF s/w to match K3 then split DX line into present model for current customers and cheaper no wireless model for academics and others that want to view A4 and letter size PDFs.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool info...

Quote:
Pocketbook screens are not Pearl.

Everyone's comfort level is different, but the Pocketbook forum on mobileread has many threads regarding hardware and firmware problems and PDF reader deficiencies (said deficiencies not as bad as Kindle, though).

In any case, I am in the USA and PB 903 not available to me.

If PB gets its act together and makes 902 like model with Pearl screen, I will strongly consider it.

If Onyx M92 rumor is true, and the buttons are reliable, and it does not inherit M9x dieing while suspended problem, I will strongly consider Onyx M92.

It will take quite a long and strong track record of curing IR and capacitive sensor problems before I consider Onyx M9[0-1].

The 1200x1600 screen of the Hanlon is very tempting, but who knows if the processor can handle it or how reliable Hanlons will be.

It would be trivial for Amazon to update DX PDF s/w to match K3 then split DX line into present model for current customers and cheaper no wireless model for academics and others that want to view A4 and letter size PDFs.
i know nothing of pocketbook or any of the other brands you listed. i was simply passing on info to someone who appeared to be interested.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #15
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
The introductory price was very high and PDF support nowhere good enough for school textbook use.
Why not? What's wrong with it? (Seeing as pdf reading for study purposes is the only reason I'd want the thing in the first place, I'd like to know ahead of time if there's issues with it.)
amo is offline   Reply With Quote