Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #16
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Fetch annotations & Import Kindle collection

Hi All
Finally had the time to test more.
A bit difficult to give precise info, since library backup status can't be checked with K3 connected. BUT...
1. Connect K3, fetch annotations, stop calibre,disconnect, restart calibre, and approx 128 books needed backup
2. Connect K3, import Kindle collections into custom column,stop calibre, disconnect, restart calibre, and 1699 books need backup

Custom column K Collection definition attached:

I have a user category called possibles, containing all books having data in K collection column.

Will have to test again, without the user category, unless some of you gurus get an AHA! thought before then.

Will have to wait until opf backup is finished.

Brgds Per

P.S. Why is this an issue ?
It does not render my laptop unusable due to performance issues, I'm just so paranoid that I will not close Calibre until opf backup is done. And that does take quite a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K Collection-def.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	75455  

Last edited by pchrist7; 08-14-2011 at 02:04 AM.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
There doesn't seem to be any mystery here. I believe if you essentially write new data to any custom column then the metadata.opf file for each of the books with new data will have to be backed up again.

The metadata.opf files get updated whenever new library data for the book is written.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #18
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Question Could this be the cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, only if a value is set for the new field for all books.
I don't quite understand this, but .. if contents of one or more columns change for all books, ie. comments (annotations), user defined column (K Collection), would this trigger a full opf backup ?

@Kovid: is it possible to send opf backup info to the debug output ?
Being paranoid, I always user calibre-debug -g from cmd to keep track of what's going on.
Also is it possible to up the priority of opf backup ? Very slow, and I have LOT's of free resources ?

Brgds Per
Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #19
pchrist7
Addict

Ooops - missed your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There doesn't seem to be any mystery here. I believe if you essentially write new data to any custom column then the metadata.opf file for each of the books with new data will have to be backed up again.

The metadata.opf files get updated whenever new library data for the book is written.
Hi dwanthny
I missed your post, before posting , and I simply was not aware of this mechanism (?)
Just was confused, and paranoid; If you're right, I'll just accept it, and let Calibre do it's backup. (sigh).
At least I now understand why !

Thank you !

Brgds Per
Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont have to wait for the backup to finish. If you quit calibre, the backup will simply resume the next time you start calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You dont have to wait for the backup to finish. If you quit calibre, the backup will simply resume the next time you start calibre.
You might have hit on his concern. I was wondering why he was even concerned since the backup is quiet and run in the background.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You might have hit on his concern. I was wondering why he was even concerned since the backup is quiet and run in the background.
With rampant Malware (Russian Rodent's ) infestations, prudent people watch unexpected processes.
99.a bunch of 9's% , the process is (researches out as) benign.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote