Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Sony Reader Connectivity Question

I am on the very cusp of hitting the "BUY" button on a Sony Reader. One remaining question, though:

What kind of software interface does the Sony have with the computer? I would prefer an arrangement where the Reader appeared to the computer as a mass storage device, and just let me use Windows File Exporer to drag and drop. I suspect, however, that there is some manner of interface software required? Is it huge? Is it unwieldly? Is it real pushy like some other types of interface software that get under the hood of your operating system and take over everything?

Thanks to a current owner who take the time to answer this middling question.
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
I am on the very cusp of hitting the "BUY" button on a Sony Reader. One remaining question, though:

What kind of software interface does the Sony have with the computer? I would prefer an arrangement where the Reader appeared to the computer as a mass storage device, and just let me use Windows File Exporer to drag and drop. I suspect, however, that there is some manner of interface software required? Is it huge? Is it unwieldly? Is it real pushy like some other types of interface software that get under the hood of your operating system and take over everything?

Thanks to a current owner who take the time to answer this middling question.
It comes with software called "Connect" which looks a little bit like Windows Explorer, but also lets you use the Connect online bookstore. You can drag and drop files from Windows Explorer directly onto Connect. The other nifty thing about Connect is that it lets you read Sony Reader books on your PC.

Connect isn't the most sophisticated software in the world, but it gets the job done and (for me at least) is totally stable.

If you're not interested in buying books from the Connect store you don't have to use Connect. You can simply copy files onto an SD or Memory Stick memory card on your PC (using a card reader) and then put the card in the Reader.

Connect is OK, IMHO. It could be slicker, but it gets the job done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And there's LibPRS500 available on this forum (a quick search will bring it up), it does most of the same stuff that the ConnSoft does, excepting talking to the ConnStore, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Hey Melby. If you havent bought your reader yet you should go get one for 99 bucks!!! (Thats no typo or ripoff) from here...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5214&CatId=228

The connect software doesnt take over or anything. its a bit slow but maybe thats just my elderly computer. (2 and a half years old now)
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
And there's LibPRS500 available on this forum (a quick search will bring it up), it does most of the same stuff that the ConnSoft does, excepting talking to the ConnStore, of course.
But Libprs500 does not handle collections. So if you want to organize by collection, you'll need to use Connect.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Hey Melby. If you havent bought your reader yet you should go get one for 99 bucks!!! (Thats no typo or ripoff) from here...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5214&CatId=228

The connect software doesnt take over or anything. its a bit slow but maybe thats just my elderly computer. (2 and a half years old now)
The Connect software is doing more then copying the books to the reader. It's sorting out things like font sizes and book titles. It's faster then having the reader do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote