Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
holyshilidin
holyshilidin began at the beginning.

Device: pdf
I need help with this DRM thing

I bought this ebook and im totally for the protection of digital copy but sometimes a hard copy to go out is good to i wanted to print just so i can go out while i grab a bite to eat and read some "its a tech book". Its obviously not to resell i just want to be able to print pages a t a time and read im broke so i cant buy the hardcopy book if there even is one. I have looked all over the internet can seem to find a way to print a copy right ebook. can anyone help?
holyshilidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
holyshilidin

Guess not, this sucks just tired of having to take my laptop out to read.
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
This forum is not so fast moving that just because an answer hasn't been posted after an hour means that no one will.

Welcome to the horrible world of DRM, where all online content is heading fast. It's ridiculous, and I think the best response is not to buy products infected with DRM.

Some kinds of DRM can be removed. You didn't mention what kind of DRM this is, but googling around would probably answer that for you. You could also print screenshots of each page. (This can be automated if you know what you're doing.) But these are probably violations of the End-User-Licensing-Agreement you agreed to when you "bought" (--I use that term very loosely--) this book. You'd have to look.

I'd complain to the bookseller. "Return" the product if you can. (You probably can't.) And then resolve not to buy products with DRM on them. DRM is software cancer and the only way to make it go away is not to let people who use it make money.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
holyshilidin

ty for reply sorry used to in other forums replys almost instant sorry again in advanced im just annoyed. I understand for no resell value but drm is not helping with that no i cant print it out and no i can not return it :/ would there be a way to convert into another kind of file? trying to think out side the box. like pdf to something else so that i am able to print or is drm protecting against that as well
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You'd have to remove the DRM in order to be able to convert it to another format, so that's doesn't really get you anywhere, no.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are several DRM schemes for PDFs. Passworded PDFs are trivial to liberate and there are lots of tools that do the "password recovery". Adobe DRM PDFs can only be read by Adobe Digital Editions, and this DRM is easily stripped. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for lots of info about ebook DRM. Once a PDF is DRM-free it is the perfect format for printing.

There are lots of other specialized DRM schemes for PDFs, and most are obscure enough to still be locked down. Note that some PDFs allow printing of a limited number of pages in a fixed time period. I have seen reports of playing with the clock on a PC to allow printing, but I am not familiar with the details.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote