Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Xabache
Carbon Reserve
Xabache began at the beginning.

Device: PC
creating a pdf from an html

i would like to create a pdf file from an html and have no idea if this is possible. ideally the pdf should appear as a specific size5 x 8" with specific settings to its viewability but most importantly it should feature all of the source html files hyper links and photos built into the pdf once converted fromt he html. this would be for me a much easier method for producing numerous pdf files. can any part of this be done. convert html directly to pdf with one magical program or process. please explain if it can. thanks =)
Xabache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Download Bullzip PDF printer. It's free of cost.

In preferences, you can adjust the page size.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nearly any modern Word Processor can convert html to PDF. Setting page sizes would just be like setting the page sizes for printing. For higher quality, you could use PrinceXML or ConTeXt, though there may be a learning curve to those (especially the latter).
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Download Bullzip PDF printer. It's free of cost.

In preferences, you can adjust the page size.
It's only free for ten users. That's not free. It's also not open source, so it's not free in the other sense either. Given that's it's built on Ghostscript, and you can do this with ghostscript without any additional software if you know what you're doing, it's kinda silly.

For a virtual PDF printer for Windows that's actually free--no nagging, or obnoxiousness, and open source, use PDF Creator instead. (And yes, you can set the page sizes and do everything else.)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
It's only free for ten users. That's not free. It's also not open source, so it's not free in the other sense either. Given that's it's built on Ghostscript, and you can do this with ghostscript without any additional software if you know what you're doing, it's kinda silly.

For a virtual PDF printer for Windows that's actually free--no nagging, or obnoxiousness, and open source, use PDF Creator instead. (And yes, you can set the page sizes and do everything else.)
"It's only free for ten users."
I don't understand this --- is "users" a typo? Should it be "uses" instead? I've used Bullzip for months now in my work, converting hundreds of Word documents to pdf, and I've never had a problem with it. It works perfectly, with no nags, no obnoxiousness, etc.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard

I don't use it, or Windows for that matter. I'm just going by what it says on its website. But suppose you were the IT person for a small office. Could you install it on all your office's computers? No. Suppose you wanted to create a website that allowed any users of your website to create and download PDFs, using its printer as a back-end for PDF creation. Can you do this? Again, no.

Perhaps I'm a little overly fanatical about open source, truly free license software -- and maybe for an individual user who doesn't do these things, it has no practical difference -- but I think what irked me most was that it's using ghostscript as a back-end. And ghostscript is truly open source and free, for any number of users. And you can create a virtual PDF printer with ghostcript without much effort. See, e.g., here. So whoever created BullZip is trying to profit off of a product that was almost entirely created through the work of someone else; someone who is giving it away for free. That annoys me. It reminds me of the people out there trying to sell public domain ebooks.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
"It's only free for ten users."
I don't understand this --- is "users" a typo? Should it be "uses" instead? I've used Bullzip for months now in my work, converting hundreds of Word documents to pdf, and I've never had a problem with it. It works perfectly, with no nags, no obnoxiousness, etc.
Maybe it's for 10 users and he is talking for use in office. I am still using it for more than 100 uses!

Last edited by Nexutix; 11-06-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: frabjous is male! she --> he
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote