Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Dictionary for Sony Reader

The Sony Reader doesn't have any built-in support for dictionaries, so I thought about just having a regular dictionary in the form of an ebook on the device.

Here are some ones on Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/673
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/247
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/248

All we should need to do is make an "Index" with links so that you can jump to A or B or C etc. etc. without having to manually flip through pages.

I don't have a Reader yet, but I will probably make a PDF-based ebook dictionary once I do, unless someone else does!

Sam Krupa
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Dizionario Italiano > Inglese

Hi Sammy!

It happens that I just "made" a dictionary Italian-English from a "lit"-file that I got from a friend.
First I converted it with "clit" (MAC version) to an htm / picture-file(s), worked on sizes/colours, then imported it into Acrobat 7 to get a PDF.

The original lit was about 0.7 MB, the resulting pdf is 2.2 MB.
Links in a pdf only jump to pages (on my eReader 500) although the htm-links addressed anchors (href "#xyz" > name "xyz").

The dictionary seems to contain about 17,000 Italian words.

If any friend here is interested in testing it I might send it via (private) email.

Have a nice evening, Clemens
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If this dictionary is in the public domain (as I hope it is - otherwise your friend obviously should not have given it to you!) please post it in the "Book Uploads" section here for everyone to benefit from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa View Post
All we should need to do is make an "Index" with links so that you can jump to A or B or C etc. etc. without having to manually flip through pages.
I guess this won't be enough... given the slow refresh time between page turns, looking for a word not near the beginning or end of a jump link could be a pain.
Possibly some volunteer could write for such a dict a tree-like structure, so that e.g. linking to "P" you would wind the sublinks
P
|-Pa
|-Pe

and so on in a nested structure

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
wind
wind->find
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just click the "Edit" button in the lower right corner of your post to edit it, alexxxm
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Much as I'd like a good dictionary on my 500, I don't see how it is practical without a Search feature.

Both the old Rocket eBook and the Kindle have this feature, so a dictionary or an encyclopedia would be great. Pity Sony didn't think of this.

The Rocked eBook also had a built-in dictionary, so highlighting a word resulted in seeing the definition. Unfortunately, whenever I came across an arcane word that I did not know, their dictionary did not know it either, alas.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
The Rocked eBook also had a built-in dictionary, so highlighting a word resulted in seeing the definition. Unfortunately, whenever I came across an arcane word that I did not know, their dictionary did not know it either, alas.
One of the nicest features of the CyBook Gen3 is its dictionary lookup, which works superbly. 200+ different dictionaries to choose from at MobiPocket, and you can have multiple dictionaries installed if you wish.

I think Sony rather "dropped the ball" in not implementing dictionary lookup. It's a feature it lacks which all its main rivals have. Let's hope they implement it in a future firmware upgrade.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Dizionario Italiano > Inglese

Hi !

To HarryT:

You really got me with this Public domain thing.

It took me some 2 hours to find a freeware dictionary (but: only text list), that I worked on for 3 consecutive days and nights to get it going for my SONY PRS500.

Now it's ready. Contains some 10,000plus Italian words. Just uploaded it. Tired. bed ...

(Well. I still can type this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ewpost&t=16929

glad for any remarks. thanx, Clemenseken
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
Kpatrick
Kpatrick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch 600
Hi,

I am having the Sony touch 600. This one has a build in dictionary, which works nice by tabbing on a word. However, I am missing an italian dictionary. I need to translate from italian to english or german. Is it possible to somehow get a dictionary on it like the build ins?

This would be so nice to use to learn italian (reading books)

Best Regards,

Patrick
Kpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
There are people who have tried to implement other than english dictionaries on the 600. Unfortunately, this didn't get too far. I've looked into it, too, but it's really confusing. So I personally would tend to the "get a dictionary" on the reader as a book. The 600 has the advantage that you can search for words within a book (I didn't think of that in combination with a dictionary before). It's still a hassle though to read a book, find a word you want to look up, open the dictionary and search for the word. But at least it's a workaround
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote