Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #121
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
All I have to say is that if people want to pay more taxes, they are welcome to some of mine.

But I got a problem when they want me to pay more taxes than I have to.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #122
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Is it? It should act in its own best interest, then the shareholders (normally) will be happy too. And the interests of a company and its shareholders may even be contradicting and that's totally legal too.
Under UK company law (and I believe US law, too) the directors of a company do indeed have a legal obligation to act in the best interests of the shareholders, and can be sued if they fail to do so.
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #123
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I feel that rich companies, like rich individuals, essentially get to choose how much tax they feel like paying, and I hope some of them are shamed into abandoning their avoidance schemes, but really I want a change to the law to level the playing field. It isn't fair to smaller businesses that can't afford to operate a tax haven HQ, or whatever the latest wheeze is. It's anti-competitive.

No representation without taxation.

That said, the reason I use amazon is because they are the best at what they do. I find it very difficult to abandon that, and I guess I'm not willing to do so. As a non-coffee-drinker, I found it a lot easier to boycott Starbucks.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #124
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Whatever Amazon has to pay in the way of expenses, including taxes, will necessarily be passed on to the consumer.

I salute anyone who legally avoids paying taxes. Taxes are becoming too onerous.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #125
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Is very difficult to avoid buying from Amazon if they offer you the best price for whatever you are wishing to buy.

Why pay £1000 outside, when they price the exact same thing at £500 (for example). By seeking to save, I am doing what the company also does - both legal under current laws.

They may not have been upfront with all their taxes, but I doubt they dodge VAT and deduct taxes on their employees wages. As someone else has already pointed out their Board has a legal responsibility to their shareholders to minimise costs etc.
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #126
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I feel that rich companies, like rich individuals, essentially get to choose how much tax they feel like paying, and I hope some of them are shamed into abandoning their avoidance schemes, but really I want a change to the law to level the playing field. It isn't fair to smaller businesses that can't afford to operate a tax haven HQ, or whatever the latest wheeze is. It's anti-competitive.
Exactly. And at least here in Germany, our government only knew one way of compensating the decreasing sum of taxes paid by the big companies - by increasing the sales taxes ("Mehrwertsteuer") for everyone.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #127
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The more taxes are cut, the more people complain about how high they are. If you want to see high tax rates to back to the 1950's. If Amazon could raise their prices and get people to pay the higher price, they would have done so already. Competition limits the ability of companies to raise prices - if one company raises prices, the competitor stands to gain by not raising prices.

Of course, this whole conversation really has nothing to do with Amazon and certainly has nothing to do with e-books. I'm surprised it has remained in the e-book section this long. Perhaps the OP should take all this energy to lobby to change the law.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
This thread has now strayed into those areas reserved for the "Politics and Religion" forum, and hence is being closed. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the P&R forum.

Thanks.

Closed Thread