Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #136
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags75 View Post
anyone having problems with the inverted comma award... no matter how many passages i seem to highlight and save i can't seem to get it
Since it didn't work when highlighting in the book I was reading (epub) I tried the same in a Kobo epub and immediately got the award (Kobo Touch).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #137
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTots View Post
How did you get the ereading rainbow & the quoth the maven awards?
As said by others, eReading Rainbow is Vox only (It's one of the few awards I don't yet have)

Quoth The Maven - Post Five Quotes / Notes to Facebook.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #138
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo by fnac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Since it didn't work when highlighting in the book I was reading (epub) I tried the same in a Kobo epub and immediately got the award (Kobo Touch).
Wish I had thought of that earlier. I got it now.
biscuitbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #139
conquerfool
conquerfool began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
When I first got kobo for my iPad I deleted the five free classics, now in order to get the classic award I need to read the books. What books do I need to download and will I still be able to get the award cause I had org deleted them?

Also how do I get the Off the Wall award and Facebook? I am logged into Facebook and I'm 50% of the way to the Papillon award, do I need that in order to unlock the other 2?

Last edited by conquerfool; 01-12-2012 at 05:06 PM.
conquerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #140
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
one of the 5 free books is color cookbook "sweet dreams" by Jean Pare. should be easy to find in kobo shop.
another one was a travel book, they're in the "Free" section of the kobo shop for sure... I deleted the others, sorry. wish i could help more!

Off the wall: you have to open a book, then press the middle icon at the bottom (with 4 lines) to share what you're reading on FB, i think for each book reading shared you get 10 or 20%.
Papillon: you need to share reading 10 times on FB.

NORMALLY you'd get them both OTW and Papillon at the same time, but I am picky about what I "announce" to the world I'm reading hehe. I'd rather my friends see me as a geek for reading a textbook than reading some stupid beach novel by Janet Evanovich LOL that's why I just now completed the Off the wall award.
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #141
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

Quote:
I too cannot seem to get the inverted coma award

WOW, that's a LOT of reading in a short amount of time!
How did you get the ereading rainbow & the quoth the maven awards?

Quoth the maven: quote a sentence or paragraph from a book and share it to Facebook.
Don't recall how many quotes I sent to get it, might have been 5 or 10.

Ereading (only on Kobo Vox it seems), you get by reading a color book. There's 3 or 5 that come free with the Kobo Vox. When you start the KV, once your local network connection is setup they're added automatically to the Kobo library when you sync the first time. It helps to start reading

As for your comment on my "lots of reading in a short time", I knew I was going to get a KV for Christmas so I stocked up on reading material in epub format several weeks before my purchase.
Also, I love awards and I was discovering my KV the first few days and loving it, so awards were adding up very fast in my collection. (Still do love my KV! I carry it with me at all times. I read, even watch movies and tv series on it.)
So far I have 29/30 awards and I'm wondering if there are any "hidden" awards on the KV... I'm always looking forward to collecting more. Any clues on what else is available on the Kobo Vox?
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #142
conquerfool
conquerfool began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
thanks heleneArch for the help, I was able to get off the wall and papillon by going through and sharing a bunch of quotes and stuff I had done.

As for Quoth the Maven, I shared a few quotes in order to get the other two awards, but it still remained at 40%, which is where it was prior to getting the other two awards.

Also are they any other secret awards for reading certain books, like the TrueBlood series that I am in the middle of reading right now. Like the award Time Lord looks like you have to read H.G. Wells.

And finally how do you get the Milk and Cookies award?
conquerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #143
Wendy
Neverland resident
Wendy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerfool View Post
They are awarded for reading on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - even though I did that (both days) and did NOT get any award. But maybe they're two of those awards that don't work on the actual Kobo but only in iOS or Android.

Same goes for the 2011 award...
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #144
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Those awards were discontinued. In my opinion, they should have made new awards for Christmas 2011 and New Years 2012, but they didn't, so...
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #145
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
WOW, that's a LOT of reading in a short amount of time!
Not necessarily.

You can cheat your way to 'reading' during the various award time periods by waking up your KT, opening a book, and putting it back to sleep. After 5 days, Bazinga!
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #146
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Also are they any other secret awards for reading certain books, like the TrueBlood series that I am in the middle of reading right now. Like the award Time Lord looks like you have to read H.G. Wells.

If by True Blood you mean Sookie Stackhouse books then yes, there are secret awards for the series. I'd need to consult the oracle to find out what they are and how to obtain them as I cannot recall off the top of my head.

Time Lord is, like others, dependant of books from specific publishers, again, I'd need to check which (have a feeling I might have published that info in this thread already though)

Milk and Cookies, as mentioned by others, they were for the 2010 - 2011 Holiday Season and were not re-activated for the 2011 - 2012 season.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #147
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
When I first got kobo for my iPad I deleted the five free classics, now in order to get the classic award I need to read the books. What books do I need to download and will I still be able to get the award cause I had org deleted them?
Here are the books you'll need for the Classic Attack award:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Alice...b_g/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-A...U-A/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dracu...7Ug/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Grimm...WUQ/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Pride...Zlg/page1.html

Cheers,
Charles
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #148
PiersS
Enthusiast
PiersS began at the beginning.

Hey everyone, been lurking since I got my Vox for Christmas (which replaces my broken-screened Nook v1).

Wanted to chime in with thanks for those that have posted tips for getting reading awards (and shake my fist comically at those that post awards but not how to get them lol). My Vox didn't come with those 5 freebies, I've downloaded the 5 posted just above me and hopefully will get the Classic Attack. Have also downloaded Sense & Sensibility + Pride & Prejudice for Lost in Austen, and HG Wells Time Machine to see if that gets me Time Lord

My Reading Life awards are at 30/32 right now, with Juggernaut being 63% complete and Off the Wall being 60% (even after posting each book I've started on FB, but whatever)

A couple of things I've wondered though:

I've skim re-read the Franklin color book that came with the Vox several times, as well as another couple of books (Franklin is the shortest) but can't get the Total Recall award

I've got 30 awards, but have only received the Scout Leader award, no sign of Highly Decorated

I can't seem to get Word Up or Pressed for Details despite looking up at least 10 words in each book I've read and despite doing the long press on quite a number of books on my shelf.

I also noticed Twisted in the list on kobo's website, which says "The Pretty Little Liars crew are back from Jamaica with even more secrets…" which indicated the Pretty Little Liars book #9, so I downloaded the preview to that, and when I was done, nothing. Is the award still valid, and if so, do we have to read the whole book.. if so, that's an award I won't be getting lol

Sorry for so many questions, I've been saving them up lol
PiersS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #149
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just soo funny how the thread I had started for just the KT has morphed into one that everyone interested in achieving the reader awards is posting in regardless of device. (^_^)
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #150
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I'm with a Kobo touch till not quite 2 months and don't know exactly the english names of the bages that I have, so I give them in French :
  • Amoureux des livres (book lover) to create an account to kobobooks (though I created one, I didn't got this one)
  • J'<3 ma bibliothèque (I love my librairary) to load a book on my reader
  • Il était une fois (once upon a time) : begining a new book
  • Livre refermé (book closed) : finish at least one book
  • soif de détails (thirsty for details) : to press on a book cover to obtain it : I did it, but I'm still 0% finished for this one
  • Chef scout 10 (scout chief 10) : 10 badges obtained
  • Hautement décoré 20 (Highly ornated ? ) 20 bages obtained (I'm only 90% through)
  • Lecteur nocturne (nighty reader ?) to read all night long
  • Mot vedette (star world ?) search 10 definitions in the dictionnary
  • Titan : it seems to need to have read a heavy book (they recommand War and Peace or some Proust's books) I'm 52% through
  • Livre captivant (page turner book ?) read two hours at a time
  • Heures de pointe de l'après-midi (I don't know how to translate it) : read 5 times between 4PM and 6 PM
  • Happy Hour : read 5 times between 6PM and 8 PM
  • Heures de grande écoute (I don't know how to translate it) : read 5 times between 8PM and 10 PM
  • Bien mieux au lit : (better in bed) : read 5 times between 10 PM and midnight
  • Heure fatidique (I'm 0% through) : read during frightening hours
  • Petit déjeuner (breakfast) read 5 times between 5AM and 7AM
  • Zéro déplacement (zero move) : read 5 times between 7AM and 9AM
  • Somnolence (drowsiness) : read 5 times between 9AM and 12AM
  • J'ai dévoré des livres au déjeuner (I ate books for lunch) : You read during lunch 12AM to 2PM
  • Ecole buissonnière (Truancy) : read 5 times between 2PM and 4PM
  • Buffet à volonté (I don't know how to translate it) : read a lot to obtain this (I'm 90% through)
  • Facebook (I'm 0% through) : to connect to facebook (I don't have a Facebook account and don't want one )
  • Guillemets (Quotes) : highlighting words in a book (I'm 0% through).
  • Papillon (Butterfly) : 10 Kobo shares on Facebook (I'm 0% trhough)

If there are other badges, those are cryptic ones
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awards, reading life, touch