Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-23-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
daught
Enthusiast
daught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it is

Help with HandStory & Mac OSX!

Greetings. I found some great eBooks for use with HandStory (.hsb file format). I have HandStory Basic on my Palm m500. I have a 128MB SD card. My desktop is a Mac with OS X (10.2.5).

I confess I don't know how to install the HandStory eBooks onto my Palm. HotSync Manager won't allow me to install them into Palm RAM. HotSync only allows me to install them onto my SD card. But then can HandStory read the files from the card? If not, how do I transfer the files from card to RAM? Should I create a specific directory for HandStory on the card? Etc.

Thanks for any help.

Gary
daught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
I honestly don't know how HandStory syncs on the Mac, but on the PC if you choose to install an ebook to expansion memory, it installs in the /Launcher folder on the memory card. Then when you launch HandStory and choose "update list," HandStory moves the file into /palm/programs/handstory from where it loads and displays the file. If you install to memory card, it does not move it to ram to read, but instead uses it directly from the card.

Hopefully, another user who works with Macs will chime in here!
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2003, 11:29 PM   #3
daught
Enthusiast
daught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it is

PARTIAL SUCCESS! I went to the HandStory site and used the instructions for downloading web clippings when using the Netscape browser. I'm using Camino 0.7 on my Mac, so I figured the Mozilla based browser would work much like Netscape.

1. Ctrl-Click (right-click) on the eBook download link and select the "Download Target Link..." option.

2. Save the .hsb file to the desktop

3. Double-click on the file, which (yes) opens the HandStory desktop coverter. (And yes, the file then mysteriously vanishes from the desktop!)

4. Click "Install" then HotSync. SUCCESS! E-book is on my Palm!

What I HAVEN'T yet been able to figure out is how to get HandStory on the Palm to read files on my SD-card. I did an install from the converter to my card (I checked, it's there). But how do I get the app to read the eBook that's on the card? Thanks.

Gary
Old 04-24-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally posted by daught
What I HAVEN'T yet been able to figure out is how to get HandStory on the Palm to read files on my SD-card. I did an install from the converter to my card (I checked, it's there). But how do I get the app to read the eBook that's on the card? Thanks.
Sounds like you aren't updating the lists in HS, either manually or automatically...or you don't have the right type/category set in HS to see the file.

The process HS goes through is to first look in the palm/launcher/ folder for a readable file (that's where hotsync sends it if you choose to hotsync to card). It will then move the file to palm/programs/HandStory/ folder when the program opens and you have "update lists" set to automatic or do so manually. You can also move files directly into the palm/programs/HandStory/ folder by other methods, and HS will read the files as well...but HS does not "see" any new file until the "update lists" command is invoked.

Is this the process that's happening, and you're still not seeing the file? Have you tried changing the two dropdowns at the top of the HandStory screen to "All" and "All"? Sometimes the files are there but categorized in an odd way and remain hidden until the right type/category settings are used.

Let me know if that fixes it!

Cheers,
Gary
Old 04-24-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
daught
Enthusiast

No luck. I tried "All" and "All". I have "auto update list" selected in preferences, and I also did a manual "update list". I have a Palm/Programs/HandStory directory on my card, but I can still only read HandStory files that are resident in Palm RAM.

I arrived at a satisfactory work-around when I located the freeware file management program Filez for moving files between RAM and card. But again, I was under the impression that even the hobbled version, HandStory Basic (the version compatible with the Mac) could read off external cards. Sigh!

Gary
Advert
Old 04-24-2003, 01:37 PM   #6
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by daught
But again, I was under the impression that even the hobbled version, HandStory Basic (the version compatible with the Mac) could read off external cards.
Aha! I totally missed the fact that you were running the Basic version. Re-read the thread, and damn...there it is!

I can't confirm that it's the same for the Mac version, but the Basic PalmOS version cannot read expansion cards:

http://www.handstory.com/product/upgrade_suite.html

I would suspect that the Mac version has the same limitation. I notice that they do not have a Suite version for the Mac yet...so Mac users are a bit out of luck at the moment. You might try dropping HS support a note about this and see when that will be released. Support does respond, although it sometimes takes a few days.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 04-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
daught
Enthusiast

Yes, I just got a reply from HandStory Tech Support. They indicated that the "Read Me" is INCORRECT when stating that HS Basic also supports expansion cards. I guess until they make a Mac version of the Suite I'll just use my file manager to move HS eBooks between card and RAM. At least I discovered how to successfully download these from the website and install. Thanks for your help!

Gary
Old 01-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Question Handstory and OSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by daught
Yes, I just got a reply from HandStory Tech Support. They indicated that the "Read Me" is INCORRECT when stating that HS Basic also supports expansion cards. I guess until they make a Mac version of the Suite I'll just use my file manager to move HS eBooks between card and RAM. At least I discovered how to successfully download these from the website and install. Thanks for your help!

Gary
Youve answedred one of my quetsions, next question is , have you found a way to take webclippings on Handstory OSx ?

Cheers CJB