Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
quichi
quichi began at the beginning.

Device: wish I had one
Unhappy Sad Latin American Reader

Hi,
I'm a gadget enthusiast and I want to buy an ereader, but here's the catch.
I live in Colombia, most of my books are technical/engineering books (lots of graphs). I also have 2 column articles in PDF(with more graphs). The price is a very important issue.
I just want to read the PDFs, but any extra option (dictionary, MP3, etc) is welcome.

Thanks for any advice.
quichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, quichi!

We have many knowledgeable people here, and I"m you'll get much friendly advice.

In the meantime, enjoy the forums and take adavantage of the free books offered here......no device except your computer needed to read!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by quichi View Post
Hi,
I'm a gadget enthusiast and I want to buy an ereader, but here's the catch.
I live in Colombia, most of my books are technical/engineering books (lots of graphs). I also have 2 column articles in PDF(with more graphs). The price is a very important issue.
I just want to read the PDFs, but any extra option (dictionary, MP3, etc) is welcome.

Thanks for any advice.
To read PDFs not specifically formatted for your device, you need a device with at least an 8" screen (though it might still be too small for some documents) or, preferably, a 10" screen. I believe this leaves you (presently) with the iRex Digital Reader as your best choice... but it seems like a few 10" screen devices are due out before the end of the year. Maybe worth to wait and see?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Somebody is selling an iRex Digital Reader here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48155

You can check out the specs here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/IRex_Digital_Reader

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Hola quichi, como estas?

The small 6 inch ebook readers are not good for displaying A4 PDFs especially with 2 columns and graphs.

Have a look at the Irex Iliad and the Kindle DX forums , im sure if you have a pdf with no copyright someone would be more than happy to test it out on their reader.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
quichi
quichi began at the beginning.

Device: wish I had one
Thanks for the advice .....I'm thinking in the ASTAK 9'. It will come out latter this year (I hope so), and looks pretty good. If it at least comes with the specs of the EZ Reader PRO 5', I'm happy.
quichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf reader