Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
keeping original epub indents

Dear Forumites,

When converting from epub to rtf, every single paragraph in the output file appears indented with a tab. I was wondering if someone could show me how to avoid this and keep the indentation schemes present in the original epub file, i.e., some paragraphs are indented while some others (usually the first paragraph in a section or scene) are not. Since I am not familiar with html or css, please be as specific as possible. As usual, thank you for your insights!
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
Dear Forumites,

When converting from epub to rtf, every single paragraph in the output file appears indented with a tab. I was wondering if someone could show me how to avoid this and keep the indentation schemes present in the original epub file, i.e., some paragraphs are indented while some others (usually the first paragraph in a section or scene) are not. Since I am not familiar with html or css, please be as specific as possible. As usual, thank you for your insights!
Since RTF does not use a CSS, how would that happen?

Which als begs, Why RTF? Just about anything that could do RTF can do HTML
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, it makes all the sense in the world to work with a format that I can edit in a straightforward way with a few mouse clicks - essentially, work on an rtf document using a word processor. If "[j]ust about anything that could do RTF can do HTML", can anybody suggest a free portable WYSIWYG HTML editor?
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
Well, it makes all the sense in the world to work with a format that I can edit in a straightforward way with a few mouse clicks - essentially, work on an rtf document using a word processor. If "[j]ust about anything that could do RTF can do HTML", can anybody suggest a free portable WYSIWYG HTML editor?
A bit of digging turned up a portable version of Amaya at winPenPack.

If you can live without WYSIWYG, PortableApps.com has Notepad++.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
...If you can live without WYSIWYG, PortableApps.com has Notepad++.
Agreed, and...

... you can get a semi-WYSIWYG enviornment (read: quick preview) by opening the HTML file in both Notepad++ and a browser. You then make some edits, save, and click the refersh button in the browser to view the changes.

I also find the WebEdit plugin for Notepad++ a very handy addtions. I've customized mine with a number of tags that I commonly use in eBook HTML.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can also use Sigil to edit your ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote