Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
My local library is a MESS

I can never find what I want.Seriously,they only have it via a leter,so you have to go through hundreds of books to shelves ridiculously close to the ground,so that your kidneys get cold siting on the floor,going through two sides of a bookcase either to miss the book youre looking for and look like an idiot when the librarian finds it in a minute,or find out its not there,but in the back OR in their storage in my old school-from where I couldn't take any books,even when I went to school there.Course,they also lack dozens of the books I'd wanna find.

anyone have this kinda problem?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
NO, not been to the library in many years. Buy all my books from Amazon
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
I can never find what I want.Seriously,they only have it via a leter,so you have to go through hundreds of books to shelves ridiculously close to the ground,so that your kidneys get cold siting on the floor,going through two sides of a bookcase either to miss the book youre looking for and look like an idiot when the librarian finds it in a minute,or find out its not there,but in the back OR in their storage in my old school-from where I couldn't take any books,even when I went to school there.Course,they also lack dozens of the books I'd wanna find.

anyone have this kinda problem?
You might suggest they use index cards and build an index system like every other modern library on the planet. 3x5 cards can do wonders for searching for a book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I think you should just go up to the librarians and tell them what you want and let them find it. That will solve that. Is there an online catalog so you can browse from home and go in prepared?

You could also bring in a blanket for floor sitting shelf browsing.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You might suggest they use index cards and build an index system like every other modern library on the planet. 3x5 cards can do wonders for searching for a book.

Dale
I haven't seen a card index for over a decade. All the libraries I visit use a computerised cataloguing system.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I haven't seen a card index for over a decade. All the libraries I visit use a computerised cataloguing system.
Yea, I was getting a bit over the top here wasn't I. But if there is nothing a card beats nothing. It's what my church library uses but they may be going to computer soon.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yea, I was getting a bit over the top here wasn't I. But if there is nothing a card beats nothing. It's what my church library uses but they may be going to computer soon.

Dale
I have never used a library. It is an anathema to my book-shopping, text-hoarding, buy-stuff-because-I'm-feeling-depressed, must-own-what-I-read self.

However, I must say that those "cards" in their Dewey or Universal Decimalised cabinets are some of the most attractive items of itemisation I have ever grokked. There is something so extraordinarily "tidy" and practically archaic about them, with their badly-varnished-and-flaking drawers, the pitted and unpolished brass handles, and the yellowing and stiff bits of sometimes handwritten cards inside that smell like a mix of the requisite mothballs and an aging, particulate dissembly that just makes my head sizzle and my spine fizzle.

Okay, possibly, I should seek help. Likely, I won't.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

cmbs-I ask,but they always tell me to find it myself.also,their the only library in the area,and one of the many departments of a library chain that is around the entiere city,so that may be a problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
cmbs-I ask,but they always tell me to find it myself.also,their the only library in the area,and one of the many departments of a library chain that is around the entiere city,so that may be a problem.
What do you do when you go to a place of business and you are treated rudely? Go spend your money somewhere else. Unfortunately this is different. You could try a different branch. You could try writing to the library board - public libraries are paid for by taxpayers and belong to the public! The librarians really should be more willing to help, particularly if their filing system is a mess only they understand. If this is systemic, it's time for new leaders.

You could move!

Our librarians, all I've ever met in the parish, are very nice and helpful.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-21-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Lobolover
Gorosei

ehm-ive an old debt from a certain villiage library thats a part of the chain,so I can't realy go screaming bloody murder.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer

Pay the debt.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Lobolover
Gorosei

do I look like Rotchild ?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree. Paying your library fine is a good idea if you want to continue to use your local library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Lobolover
Gorosei

it's not MY library fine,and it was froma library that BECAME A PART of our local library organisation.And considering THAT library used to be open ONE DAY for two hours,and that it's in a cul-de-sac villiage not easy to get to-
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #15
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I still visit the library regularly. But I must admit I find less and less of what I'm looking for there. Just this previous weekend they had a booksale, and cleaned off some shelves, one topic in particular was one I frequent. It went from three bookcases down to two shelves.

They have increased certain other collections. Ones I noted were a large supply of graphic novels (comics) and DVD's. Every year it seems they increase they're 'digital' resources. What fun it was for me to be scanning through titles with some guy streaming rap music while doing whatever 'research' he was supposedly involved in.

I get most of my books at fleamarkets, truth be told. Paying a quarter to a dollar for a book that's been out of print for fifty to one hundred and fifty years is nice.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote