Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
milan
milan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bettery duration

How long does a single charge last for you guys? If I read for half an hour every day I still need to recharge it one a week. This seems awful lot, since I believe I read somewhere that a single charge should last 8000 page turns.

I have a Wi-fi only nook, but I always have it in airplane mode.
milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
You're getting good mileage. I charge up my Nook every three or four days.

For me the battery life isn't a major shortcoming because I don't take my Nook out of the house. Still I'd like to see an improvement in the battery life.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
That's about what I usually get too. I have to charge once a week. I always have it in airplane mode and read about half to one hour a day.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
nearer 1000 page turns than 8000
or 8 hours continuous use, although some claim 12 hours.

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-17-2010 at 08:57 PM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
I read about a half hour to one hour a day as well and generally have to charge it about every two weeks... maybe a little longer, but not much more. I keep it in airplane mode and wait until it notifies me (generally) that I need to charge it. Last night I noticed that it was at 17% and decided it was worth my time to charge it this morning so it didn't interrupt my reading tonight.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
once a week, if that and that's wth a good couple of hours readign every night
In airplane mode 100% of the time
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
comma
comma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
i am having to charge it every 3-4 days and i am in airplane mode , slightly irksome, not pleased with that
comma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I read about 2 hours a day & I have to charge about every 3 days even with y Nook in airport mode. My Nook will drain more than 2% a day even without use & in sleep mode.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Hmmm I guess my thought of softroot draining the battery is dead? I Just charged to 98% and read for about maybe two or two and a half hours and am down to 85%. That still seems extreme to me, I guess it would be around 250 page swipes I made if that matters(which I heard it does)

So this is normal? I kinda softrooted right away....

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-18-2010 at 01:54 AM.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I did an observational test once and I got a battery charge loss of 6-7% per hour while reading, 0.3-0.4%/hour while in sleep mode; both observations made in airplane mode. Which gives me something like 13 hours of reading until the 14% charge where it tells me to recharge.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
isn't suppose to use the battery only on turning pages?

maybe the lcd screen drain battery even turned off?? (with that feature of turn pages with the touchscreen).

aww, that hurt, I just ordered a nook... it's a bummer considering the "month" battery of the new kindle 3 (I know a month will never be but I'm sure it will be a whole lot than nook, right?)
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
I haven't sat down and measured how often I charge my nook, but it's around every week or so. If I read for 8 hours straight, then I obviously have to charge it more frequently. I charge my BlackBerry every night, so a once-a-week charge seems pretty reasonable to me. Really, if the battery life ends up being a significant issue for you, you can always send it back and order a K3. Either way, you're readin'.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Well I only use the touchscreen, I never used the buttons...so idk...
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Don't understand this obsession and whining about charging an e-reader. If it needs charged, then charge it. Plug it in when you go to sleep and unplug it when you wake up or charge it when you charge your phone or something.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Nokia179
Nokia179 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Don't understand this obsession and whining about charging an e-reader. If it needs charged, then charge it. Plug it in when you go to sleep and unplug it when you wake up or charge it when you charge your phone or something.
got to agree with you there or if they ever release an extended battery for it that would be an option.
Nokia179 is offline   Reply With Quote