Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
johnpdoe
johnpdoe began at the beginning.

Device: none
A couple of doubts.

Hello,

I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I've been reading it for some time now though.

I just decided to buy the new Kindle DX Graphite International. In fact, I was five minutes ago 1 click away of buying it. I then calmed down for a second, and did some foum search to see if I could clarify a couple of doubts before buying it.

I am going to buy it and use it in UK. During the buying process, there's a warning in the amazon site stating "Blogs are not available for your country". Can someone from the UK confirm that this refers to the "blog suscription" service, and not to the browsing capabilities of the 3G connection?. I mean, I have seen that UK has 3G coverage, and I'd like to know if I will be able to use google, gmail, rss feeds, or any other connection apart from wikipedia and amazon.

Another doubt I have is about the official kindle DX leather case. Is it really the best for the kindle???
I was at first thinking of buying a sleeve case like this one because I think I want to hold the bare kindle without anything attached while reading. However I need a cover to carry it (on my backpack for example) as well.

Would the official leather cover suit for this use?? Is it easy/fast to stick/remove the dx from the leather case, or am I better with a sleve case for this purpose? Is this sleeve ok, btw?

Thanks a lot in advance, and congratulations for the best ereaders forum ever!!!
johnpdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
For me the Kindle, even the D, is almost too thin to hold with out the cover on so I use the "official" kindle cover from Amazon
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I think they are referring to the ability to subscribe to blogs, and nothing more.

I wouldn't use any case that uses the hinge system. I think there are lots more protective cases to check out rather than the Amazon case.
The M-Edge Executive and Platform cases are very protective and do not endanger the Kindle by the use of hinges.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The M-Edge Executive and Platform cases are very protective and do not endanger the Kindle by the use of hinges.
How does a cover utilizing the hinge system endanger the Kindle? I've had some mild, "oopsie" drops and never noticed any potential extra dangers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The Amazon leather case (or other) "hinge" type is just fine and does not present a problem as some may indicate. I have had three different Amazon cases along with several others from various other vendors and I have never had a problem with any of them. (all hinge-type)

As far as a sleeve is concerned - that will suffice if you plan on always using your Kindle "naked." (without a cover)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I have the Timbuk2 sleeve and love it because I like holding the DX barenaked when I read. I just needed something that protected the Kindle while it was in my backpack, and the Timbuk2 fit the bill. Great price and pretty well padded, too.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
I too have been looking for a case for my DX but I want something nice, those tend to be expensive, so I'm holding off for now... In the meantime...I bought a portable dvd player for my wife and a sleeve that she never used, I appropriated the sleeve and it fits my DX perfectly and much cheaper than the "e-reader" branded. http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Neo...593374&sr=1-17 I got a black one.
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, John. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
johnpdoe

Hi. Thanks a lot for all the answers.

I was convinced to take a sleeve case like the Tumbuk2. However I've seen pretty good comments from you guys about the M-Edge cases.

I see that m-edge has a case, which can act as a sleeve (it's easy to take the dx out to read without case) and as a cover case because it has straps, the M-Edge Latitude here. I think this is perfect as which allow me to read outside with the case on, and it is fast to remove it when at home. I'll probably buy it, in yellow though cause you guys must have bought all the black ones

About the browsing restrictions in the UK, I have found this site that has a list of confirmed countries with uncapped browsing and UK is among them. It is about the kindle, but I think it would be no difference with the DXG.

And that's all. Now that I do not have any doubts, I am forced to buy the DXG.

EDIT: Not only are most of the M-edge latitude sold out on amazon, but they won't send to the UK the one available (yelow).
I can find only a UK reseller, mobilefun.co.uk, and they're out of stock and with no expected date.
I'll have to buy it on the M-Edge official store, a bit more expensive though because of the S&H.

PD: When my girlfried sees the credit card statement, I will blame this guy and his review. You're the culprit!!!

Last edited by johnpdoe; 07-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
JustDennis
JustDennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Kindle Fire
I just started using the Kindle DX and I really like the Amazon Leather cover. I thought I would get something esle but it works great for me.
JustDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

M-Edge case is nice but does add a lot of extra weight/bulk to the DX. It now seems to be much larger than my iPad.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
M-Edge case is nice but does add a lot of extra weight/bulk to the DX. It now seems to be much larger than my iPad.
I use the M-Edge Tour case, and I love it, but you have to use the Kindle naked. I used the Amazon cover with my old DX, and there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't try to force the back cover open. That's how people crack the case. The reason I got rid of it is that the 3 ounces it adds to the weight is just enough to make one hand use uncomfortable. The naked DX is very comfortable in one hand.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm a hinged guy (although I have been accused of being unhinged, from time to time).

Also, I would not buy a Kindle DX on the basis of 3G browsing. The DX is great as a b&w e-reader, with a larger screen which nicely accommodates many pdfs, and has all the bonuses of Amazon's amazing customer care and bookstore. If what you are looking for is a netbook substitute (emails, web browsing, online chatting), really, go with a netbook or double your investment and consider an iPad.

Kindle is optimised for e-book reading. If that fits your bill, you'll be very pleased with your purchase. For protection, the leather hinged cases are optimal. For he majority of your reading holding the Kindle solo, any of the slip cases are preferable.

Do let us know how things work out once you've enjoyed your Kindle for a week or so.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The browser works best on sites optimized for mobile devices. Very simple sites work best. RSS feeds would require some other software. I think Calibre might have an interface for those.

Don't get it expecting browsing to be anything other than slow and clunky. It is nothing like browsing via a pc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
johnpdoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm a hinged guy (although I have been accused of being unhinged, from time to time).

Also, I would not buy a Kindle DX on the basis of 3G browsing. The DX is great as a b&w e-reader, with a larger screen which nicely accommodates many pdfs, and has all the bonuses of Amazon's amazing customer care and bookstore. If what you are looking for is a netbook substitute (emails, web browsing, online chatting), really, go with a netbook or double your investment and consider an iPad.

Kindle is optimised for e-book reading. If that fits your bill, you'll be very pleased with your purchase. For protection, the leather hinged cases are optimal. For he majority of your reading holding the Kindle solo, any of the slip cases are preferable.

Do let us know how things work out once you've enjoyed your Kindle for a week or so.

Yes, I m totally aware of that. I want the kindle for reading purposes exclusively. But, wouldn't be nice being able to read some rss feed every now and then, or check the email if I do not have my 3G phone at hand?

About the case I can tell you that I wanted a sleeve because I do not like at all device's covers. Not in my phones, or computers, or everything, so I will most probably use the Kindle naked. However, when I am on the run I prefer to have the device covered for protection. I do not like to exhibit the device around neither, so a case is a must have for me.

That said, I am really happy with both amazon and m-edge services. I placed both orders, DXG and the m-edge case on July 20th.

Tree days later I had the m-edge case at home, and amazon sent me an email confirming that the DX was already shipped and will arrive to my home by July 28th. So hopefully in a few days I will have the reader here. That's fast!!!

In the meantime I am organizing my book library with calibre. I have as well requested to join the KindleSDK program, but I doubt they concede the first releases of the SDK to individual devs. I guess it will be more oriented to companies.