Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
jimhen
jimhen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS505
Sony eBookstore Renewal

What is the latest on the new eBookstore? I thought the announcement of the new PRS-700 was accompanied by news of a new and better store? I thought that was going to happen in October but it still looks the same to me.
jimhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhen View Post
What is the latest on the new eBookstore? I thought the announcement of the new PRS-700 was accompanied by news of a new and better store? I thought that was going to happen in October but it still looks the same to me.
good question. Also, how close are they to their 100,000 books by end of year. Have they drastically increased the number of ebooks available recently?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhen View Post
I thought that was going to happen in October ....
I haven't heard anything else on it, unfortunately. I have "end of October" down in my notes from the conference call, but I seem to remember it was supposed to be about the same time as the release of the 700, so "end of October" may be Marketingese for "middle of November."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
My guess is that they're busy converting books to EPUB and preparing the new site (which will hopefully allow buying and downloading in browser). I expect to hear some news on or around release of PRS-700 (mid November).
BTW, have anyone checked what is the format of the sample books on demo units in the shops?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sony has not made any noticeable efforts as yet to reach their stated goal of 100,000 ebooks by the end of the year. To reach that goal, they would have to make available more than 770 new titles each day until the end of the year beginning today. To date, they have averaged 91 new ebooks per day. Unless there is some very substantial effort going on that we can't see, I think this will be an empty promise.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16810

Last edited by vivaldirules; 10-31-2008 at 04:46 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
My guess is that they're busy converting books to EPUB and preparing the new site (which will hopefully allow buying and downloading in browser).
Did they say there were moving to ePub? Does that mean they are dropping LRX?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did they say there were moving to ePub? Does that mean they are dropping LRX?

BOb
Let's hope not. Leaving PRS-500 owners in the lurch wouldn't be a very good PR move.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Hmm - both the website and access from the eBook Library software seems to be down at the moment (at least for me).
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
Hmm - both the website and access from the eBook Library software seems to be down at the moment (at least for me).
For me too.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
All servers crash. There is no such thing as 100% uptime. They should be online soon though.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
They're back up again. But there are still no books there. Just a Nora Roberts or two and a dog-eared copy of See Dick Run. Man, we need a new bookmobile.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I asked the salesman at the Sony Store today about the new on-line store and he said he'd heard it'd be around the 20th of November which was also the date he thinks the 700 will be available.

I asked him about ePub formatted books and he professed to have no knowledge but also flinched when I said it so maybe........
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote