Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Silk by Alessandro Baricco

This is the MR Literary Club selection for April 2015. Whether you've already read it or would like to, feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time! Guests are also always welcome.

GoodreadsAuthor WikipediaAmazon AUAmazon CAAmazon UKAmazon USKoboGoogle Play

So, what are your thoughts on it?

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-07-2015 at 10:35 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I am still reading The Master by Colm Toíbín, but I'm leaving it to read Silk now. It looks to be a great book.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I shall be getting my copy from the library tomorrow. We are great believers in public holidays in Australia, and Easter Monday is a holiday, so the library is shut!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just finished it and really enjoyed it. It's a very quick and easy read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I am still reading The Master by Colm Toíbín, but I'm leaving it to read Silk now. It looks to be a great book.
And I am still reading West with the Night. I am falling behind. Too many books and too little time. Such problems I have. I'll be requesting this one from my library soon.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And I am still reading West with the Night. I am falling behind. Too many books and too little time. Such problems I have. I'll be requesting this one from my library soon.
I am also still with the Master, trying to catch up!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I finished it and really enjoyed it. Very interesting writing style. The repetitive words made it somewhat poetical at times. I was surprised at how light the writing seemed at times (like silk) yet there was so much packed into a novella.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #8
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I agree. I wrote on Goodreads:
Quote:
Light and delicate as a piece of silk. Beautiful and ultimately heartbreaking.
So we both used that metaphor, as I'm sure the author was intending. The repetitions reminded me a bit of a fairy tale, and served I think to emphasise what an immense journey was being undertaken.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was wondering how they turned a novella into a full-length movie. However, after finishing it I could visualize it.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think my favourite aspects were the repetition of the voyage and the whisper of communication through actions and pauses, rather than in dialogue.

I mentioned this to Bookpossum on Goodreads, but I started the story thinking the narrative was clunky, but was completely won over. By the end, I thought it was well-crafted and beautiful.

I didn't find it heart-breaking as such, but it was certainly plucking those strings. Part of me wished it was longer, but the other considers the length perfect. A great choice.

I will probably purchase this at some stage - I'd like to read it again.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I like the style of writing, but somehow I get the idea there is more to this story. Therefor I will read a bit about Japan itself and its international relations in the 19 th century. This book reminds me of a beautifully wrapped present, a thing the Japanese are very good in, still.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I also liked the repetition of the voyage. I'm not sure I would have appreciated it nearly as much had I not interspersed my reading of Silk with a couple of chapters from The Iliad. When I returned to Silk, the cadence and repetitions felt like an echo. Had I been reading The Odyssey I wonder if the sense of déjà vu would have been even stronger.

There is a lot to think about in this short novel beyond pondering any relationship to Homer, and I'm early in the process. Hervé Joncour's obsessive attachment to a woman he doesn't even know, and who is therefore not herself in his mind, but his own fantasy, is tragic and only too human. His great passion was hopeless on so many levels. It led him to an imaginary life lived somewhere other than where Hervé Joncour's body actually resided.

Hélène appears to be a minor character until the end. But enough said about that until everyone has a chance to read Silk. Lots of good material for discussion here.

I liked this book a lot because it is clearly a parable in which the meaning, or lesson, can only be grasped by implication, through the story itself. It is likely to stay in my head until I get it all sorted. What about the poor hung boy who took Hervé Joncour to find the mistress of Hari Kai? Then there is the powerful symbolism of silkworms which I haven't got worked out yet, but surely has to do with metamorphosis.

We got it right in choosing this book for the literary book club.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I once more seem to have a differing assessment of this book . . .

This is a quote that was included in the start of the copy I checked out from my local library:

“Baricco's fairy tale of East and West weaves a fine, tight fabric of recurrent phrases and motifs, a novel as delicate and strong as its subject.”

I agree completely with labeling in as a fairy tale. Judging its content and writing style I'd say one appropriate for someone in the 8-12 years old range*. More specifically females of that age.

So not something to impress me, but for what it is I'd say its good.

*Excepting I'll grant for the sexually explicit passage in the letter. Then again I see that this was written in 1996 and I know that girls in the 10-12 age range were not at that time what they were when I was of that age.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
This book reminds me of a beautifully wrapped present, a thing the Japanese are very good in, still.
This sums it up for me - but maybe I started unwrapping too early
Not as radical as Hamlet, but I also found the book so-so. I was sucked in at the beginning, but the the repetitions started wearing thin for me. I read the Italian version obviously, but I saw the first three chapters on the Amazon's preview, and it looked to me a very faithful translation, so I do not think I got something in Italian that was lost in translation.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Paola, have you read any other books by this author that you would recommend? Thanks!