Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: paola Vote • April 2015, Multiple Choice
Silk (Seta) by Alessandro Baricco 8 72.73%
Three Horses (Tre cavalli) by Erri De Luca 7 63.64%
My Brilliant Friend (L'amica geniale) by Elena Ferrante 4 36.36%
Pereira Mantains (Sostiene Pereira) by Antonio Tabucchi 5 45.45%
Zeno’s Conscience (La coscienza di Zeno) by Italo Svevo 1 9.09%
Reeds in the Wind (Canne al vento) by Grazia Deledda 4 36.36%
The Tartar Steppe (Il deserto dei tartari) by Dino Buzzati 4 36.36%
The Conformist (Il Confromista) by Alberto Moravia 5 45.45%
Family Chronicle (Cronaca familiare) by Vasco Pratolini 1 9.09%
The Day of the Owl (Il giorno della Civetta) by Leonardo Sciascia 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
paola Vote • April 2015

Help choose the April 2015 selection to read for the MR Literary Club! The poll will be open for three days and a discussion thread will begin shortly after a winner is chosen.

The vote is multiple choice. You may vote for as many or as few as you like. If you vote for the winner it is hoped that you will read the selection with the club and/or join in the discussion.

The rotating nominator (this month - paola) may not vote in the poll. In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day non-multiple-choice run-off poll where the rotating nominator again may not vote. If the run-off also ends in a tie then the tie will be resolved by the rotating nominator.

Select from the following Italian works:

The contemporaries (in alphabetical order):
- Silk (Seta), Alessandro Baricco
- Three Horses (Tre cavalli), Erri De Luca
- My Brilliant Friend (L'amica geniale), Elena Ferrante
- Pereira Maintains (Sostiene Pereira), Antonio Tabucchi

And the modern classics (in chronological order based on the author's birthdate):
- Zeno’s Conscience (La coscienza di Zeno), Italo Svevo
- Reeds in the Wind (Canne al vento), Grazia Deledda
- The Tartar Steppe (Il deserto dei tartari), Dino Buzzati
- The Conformist (Il Confromista), Alberto Moravia
- Family Chronicle (Cronaca familiare), Vasco Pratolini
- The Day of the Owl (Il giorno della Civetta), Leonardo Sciascia

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-01-2015 at 12:17 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What to vote for, what to vote for...

So many interesting titles in this list. Availability at my library has only three titles, but they aren't the ones drawing me in and my library is pretty good at getting books from other libraries when I request something they don't have. So I'm going to throw caution to the wind and may end up having to spend some of my limited budget on books this year.

I think there is a typo and it should be Pereira Maintains.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking at the list closer, I realise that I know Silk - I've seen the film adaptation. I never would've guessed it was written by an Italian (since it's about a French man travelling to Japan) so it was a jolt to connect a book on this list to that film. If I remember correctly the film didn't get the best reviews but that says nothing about the quality of the book and anyway I really enjoyed the film.

ETA -
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think there is a typo and it should be Pereira Maintains.
I corrected it in the post but it's too late for the poll.

ETA Again - I realise I also know The Conformist, from the really fantastic 1970 Bertolucci film. This one I might've guessed was written by an Italian, heh.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-01-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I remember that film sun surfer - it was terrific.

I voted for the first three books, but I'll be happy to read any of them as long as I can get my hands on a copy at a reasonable price!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm conflicted. I'm probably not going to find any of these titles in the library and most of them are full price as ebooks. There are a couple that are quite cheap but they are the ones I'm least interested in. I'll have to read the synopses again and make up my mind.

At first run through I was most interested in Pereira Maintains (aka Pereira Declares), but it's pretty pricey.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Very interesting nominations! Thank you, paola. I've downloaded samples to my Kindle to help me narrow my choices.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Very nice selection, Paola!
There are several I want to read, but I made a choice. I do hope Silk will win, as I have become interested in Japan.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
so sorry I did not think of library availability, only whether or not they existed as ebooks - there is a Kobo 90% promotion going on, whereby if I (or anyone else) refers somebody they get 90% off couponable books - and with a little travel they should all be couponable, at least I hope so. I'll double check, but if anyone needs a coupon, please do PM me. Terribly sorry
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I voted for Silk .

There are many fine books here but this is the one I can get most easily and it really sounds like a fascinating read.
Mind you, I wish to thank you for going to,the trouble of checking the eBook availability.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-02-2015 at 06:24 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Silk is one of the ones I can get from my library, so I'm cheering it on too!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK - finally got around to looking at eLibrary availability and was quite happy to find a bunch I was interested in available, so I've been able to vote.

paola, I don't think you should be over-apologising about availability. The thing about trying to bring interesting works like this to the attention of others is that you could quite possibly find availability issues in other countries. Doesn't make the effort less worthwhile.

I have little exposure to Italian authors. When you wrote Italy, I was expecting to see Calvino represented or Umberto Eco - or even a trip to the classics (eg. Cicero). I like what this club has been doing with the rotating nominations as it's resulted in some great opportunities to broaden our horizons.

In any case, I'm interested to see what wins and if I can get my hands on it, great! If not, I might pick one of the books I can get access to and read it anyway.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Silk it is. I'm happy as my local library has both the [paper] book and the DVD of the film.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
In the US, the price at Google Play is $7.99. It is $9.99 at Amazon, Kobo, and B&N. This is the second time this year I've found a book for significantly less at Google Play and for less aggravation than is sometimes experienced with purchasing books at Kobo and B&N. Silk is now on my Paperwhite.

I'm looking forward to this one, as well as to Three Horses which I picked up with a Kobo coupon. Thanks, Paola!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was able to borrow the book and movie soundtrack from my library. I love listening to movie soundtracks and classical music while I read. The movie is available at Amazon Prime for rental.

I also put My Brilliant Friend on-hold at the library. It must be popular because it has a longer wait-list than typical.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Silk it is! By the way, I hear he's working on a sequel called Polyester. Just kidding! Bad late April Fools joke.

The discussion thread is up here. BelleZora, if you want to give the link to the GooglePlay version, I'll add it to the links in the first post of the discussion thread, and thanks for the heads up on that.