Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall be the selection for our April Book Club Classic?
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway 11 32.35%
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells 13 38.24%
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck 14 41.18%
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson 10 29.41%
Shōgun by James Clavell 8 23.53%
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett 8 23.53%
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde 5 14.71%
Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos 5 14.71%
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry 8 23.53%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
On my daily walk with Norton today I finished an audiobook version of Well's The Invisible Man. It was a thoroughly entertaining adventure that I don't think anyone would regret reading, but I'm not sure how much discussion it world generate. On the other hand, it is fun to speculate what each of us might do if we were in the title character's predicament.
Was that from Librivox, Tom? It sounds like a good listen and I'm looking for a recommendation.

And speaking of listening, I was at a loose end and decided to start For Whom the Bell Tolls and I'm totally blown away. I'll still have time for the eventual winner if something else.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, three days to go, and we're starting to see some spread here. The best part is, I don't think there's a single book in this list I wouldn't like to read, and certainly the front runners are high up on my list. They are "classics" but they're not at all fusty and tired. Oh, I guess that's what classic means. :duh: Unfortunately, the leader is also the most expensive book in the list and NOT available in eBook format from the BC Library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way -- if you want a WhisperSync for Voice version of Cannery Row, use this link instead of the one in the top post. For some reason, Amazon is hiding the WhisperSync version, but it is available. Same eBook price, and the Audible is then $7.99. The Audible version is narrated by Jerry Farden, and a quick sample sounded promising. A deep, craggy kind of voice, which feels right for this book.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #34
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I missed out on nominations for this month. Lot's of good selections. I'd probably vote for Shogun and/or Dickens had I voted. As it is, I've started a classic already. Since it's Easter season coming up, i'm reading Quo Vadis. I'd have nominated it had I not been out of town and missed nominations. Enjoy whatever wins!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks CRussel for the extra link and BelleZora for the photos - very cool that you visited there recently. I'm looking forward to Cannery Row with it being so highly recommended by a few people around here (you know who you are ) and enjoying The Grapes of Wrath so much. Anyone on the fence about joining in the read this month, the book is only around 181 pages so it's very doable.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes, a short, highly entertaining read!

This is how you'll feel after reading it:

Spoiler:

Last edited by kennyc; 03-29-2015 at 09:09 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Spoiler:
LOL! The song that immediately popped into mind there was "Walking on Sunshine"...which, depending on the episode, I suppose they well could be.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #38
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Here are some more photos taken in Monterey on Cannery Row last week. The first is of Ed Ricketts' Pacific Biological Laboratories. Steinbeck called it Doc's Western Biological Laboratories.

Dora Flood and her Bear Flag Restaurant Bordello was based upon the real Lone Star Cafe operated by Flora Woods. Mackerel Jack's Trading Company now stands on the site. The next two photos, including an artist's idea of Mack and the boys, were taken of the wall of the building.

I'm reposting the historical marker listing the actual sites (with their fictional names) that Steinbeck used in his story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (5).JPG
Views:	275
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	136553   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (1).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	136554   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (2).JPG
Views:	300
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	136555   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (6).jpg
Views:	306
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	136556  
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #39
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yay Cannery Row!!! I was going to read it soon anyway, but it will be nice to read it as part of the book club.

I loved Grapes of Wrath and I have fond memories of Of Mice and Men from high school.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #40
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the photos BelleZora.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
and....

"Feds Cancel Commercial Sardine Fishing After Stocks Crash..."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/..._campaign=news
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #42
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Hi guys... I came around too late to vote but saw who won (cannery row) and have started to read it in anticipation of the conversation here. Is there a separate thread for discussion, because if there is I can't find it.... help would be muchly appreciated
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)

There will be a thread tomorrow. Discussion starts on the 20th of the month. This gives, in theory, everyone time to read the selection before the discussion starts. So, hang in there, and along about sometime tomorrow, Tom will put up the discussion thread.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
There will be a thread tomorrow. Discussion starts on the 20th of the month. This gives, in theory, everyone time to read the selection before the discussion starts. So, hang in there, and along about sometime tomorrow, Tom will put up the discussion thread.
Great Caesar's Ghost! The 20th sneaked up on me. I'm usually right there at my PC waiting to post the threads one minute after midnight. I'll have all the goodies posted soon!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Both the Discussion and the May Nominations threads have been posted. The category for May is the ever-popular Mystery/Thriller.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote