Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book is your choice for the Travel/Adventure run off?
West with the Night by Beryl Markham 14 51.85%
Lost Horizon by James Hilton 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
March 2015 Special Run-Off Vote

Since this month's vote resulted in a tree two-way tie, we are having a Special Run-Off Vote between the two leading candidates. I will not vote in this poll unless my vote is needed to break a tie. Since this is going into the weekend, the poll will be open for 4 days rather than the regular 3 normally assigned to a runoff vote. All MobileRead members are invited to participate. This is a visible poll. It is not multiple choice.

We will start the discussion thread for this book on January March 20th. Please select from the following Two Choices:

West with the Night by Beryl Markham
Amazon US / Audible / Kobo
Spoiler:
[I]From Amazon:

Beryl Markham’s classic, engrossing memoir—a triumph of the pioneer spirit and an adventure-charged chronicle of a life lived to the fullest.

Beryl Markham’s life was a true epic, complete with shattered societal expectations, torrid love affairs, and desperate crash landings. A rebel from a young age, the British-born Markham was raised in Kenya’s unforgiving farmlands. She learned to be a bush pilot at a time when most Africans had never seen a plane. In 1936, she accepted the ultimate challenge: to fly solo across the Atlantic from east to west, a feat that fellow female aviator Amelia Earhart had completed in reverse just a few years before. Her successes and her failures—and her deep, lifelong love of the “soul of Africa”—are all chronicled here with wrenching honesty and agile wit. Hailed by National Geographic as one of the greatest adventure books of all time, West with the Night is the sweeping account of a fearless and dedicated woman.

Lost Horizon by James Hilton
Goodreads | Amazon Au / Amazon Ca / Amazon US / Kobo
Spoiler:
From Goodreads:

While attempting to escape a civil war, four people are kidnapped and transported to the Tibetan mountains. After their plane crashes, they are found by a mysterious Chinese man. He leads them to a monastery hidden in "the valley of the blue moon" -- a land of mystery and matchless beauty where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

It is here, in Shangri-La, where destinies will be discovered and the meaning of paradise will be unveiled.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
January 20th? Isn't that a bit of a wait WTSharpe? Don't you mean some time sooner?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

March 2015 Special Run-Off Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
January 20th? Isn't that a bit of a wait WTSharpe? Don't you mean some time sooner?

Hey! You try setting these things up on an iPad! You folks are lucky I got the year right! (Actually, I didn't get that much right in the original of the nomination thread this month!)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-06-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

All is right with the world, now. Actually, I had the post right before I posted it, but cutting and pasting—one of the simplest operations imaginable on a PC—can be a nightmare on an iPad. Want to listen to music? watch a movie? play video games? Get an iPad. Want to get some real work done? Get a PC. My next iPad will be a Surface Pro.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Also, Mr. Sharpe, what is a "tree two-way tie"? I blame the iPad!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I certainly wasn't going to mention that! Tom does quite well enough, given the limitations of that iPad. (And Tom -- if you want to listen to music, play video games, watch a movie, read a book, or do pretty much anything except real work -- get a Kindle Fire. But you're right about real work - for that, the Surface Pro is a nice choice.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
All is right with the world, now. Actually, I had the post right before I posted it, but cutting and pasting—one of the simplest operations imaginable on a PC—can be a nightmare on an iPad. Want to listen to music? watch a movie? play video games? Get an iPad. Want to get some real work done? Get a PC. My next iPad will be a Surface Pro.
Ah. That I can understand certainly. I'm still learning what can and can't be easily done (even with my new bluetooth keyboard) on my Kindle Fire tablet. I figured there was a typo somewhere.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Still tied!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I hope I don't have to end up being the tie-breaker. I'd be bound to make some people mad. For what it's worth, these are my two favorites of the month, and I'm not sure at this point which way I'll vote if my vote is needed. Both look to be fine choices.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I think the telling difference for me is that one is fictional, and the other not. Neither, of course, is about any place that exists today, but certainly there are still aspects of Africa that are very much like Beryl's Africa.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

i Think Shangri-la would be anice place to live. No worries about violence, no illness, and an extended lifespan. Plenty of time to read a lot of good books, etc.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I can't make up my mind. I would rather read one of them but the other one is still interesting and would be much easier to get. Right now I am leaning towards not voting and hoping my vote becomes moot.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #13
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...cutting and pasting—one of the simplest operations imaginable on a PC—can be a nightmare on an iPad. Want to listen to music? watch a movie? play video games? Get an iPad. Want to get some real work done? Get a PC. My next iPad will be a Surface Pro.
I couldn't imagine trying to format nomination or poll OPs on my iPad Mini - you're a better iPad user than I!

Quote:
I thought maybe he was giving a clue where to find the big W to dig for the buried cash.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Oh, that's funny! Another one that slipped past my internal editor. I think I can blame Skype at least partially for that one!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
At this point, with the vote being so close, I think that whoever hasn't voted yet should first look at the vote, and then vote for the one that is trailing - ideally, resulting in a tie, and forcing Tom to vote.

You're welcome, Tom!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote