Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which books are your picks for the March 2015 MobileRead Book Club selection?
West with the Night by Beryl Markham 12 50.00%
The Last Grain Race by Eric Newby 4 16.67%
Timeline by Michael Crichton 6 25.00%
Lost Horizon by James Hilton 12 50.00%
A Lady Cyclist's Guide To Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson 3 12.50%
South by Ernest Shackleton 1 4.17%
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Albert Lansing 10 41.67%
The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain 8 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, but missing a chance to do a re-read of West with the Night? Having just finished it today, I'm even more impressed with the book than I was the first time.

That being said, I'd be happy to re-read Endurance (and grabbed a copy from KU, just in case), and I'd certainly give Lost Horizon a try, though it would definitely be a third choice here.
It's in the hands of the gods now. That said, I know my 30 year-old copy of West with the Night is around here somewhere and I've already checked library availability on the Trzebinski bio, to refresh my memory about the issues. I've come up with nothing on the Donada Peters front, but I'm considering giving Julie Harris a try if Markham wins. She's a wonderful actress and I'd hope she can transcend the dread Yank accent.

As for Horizon, for me it's one of those rare cases where the movie is better than the book (the Ronald Colman version, of course).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 AM   #17
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I went for Lost Horizon. It's the only book that I already had an interest in and I was rather pleasantly surprised to find that in Australia it's actually public domain. I suppose I'd read Timeline too, but it's not really high on my list.

This theme isn't a great one for me. Non-fiction is almost always a "pass". There are exceptions, but they are rare.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Wow, that was a quick change! I purchased both front runners last night having just finished the book I was reading and knowing I wanted to read both. I started West with the Night, anticipating it would be the winner.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Interesting. If this continues we will have our second run-off vote of the year and it is only March. We didn't have any last year.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, but missing a chance to do a re-read of West with the Night? Having just finished it today, I'm even more impressed with the book than I was the first time.

That being said, I'd be happy to re-read Endurance (and grabbed a copy from KU, just in case), and I'd certainly give Lost Horizon a try, though it would definitely be a third choice here.
The book version of Lost Horizon differs from both movie versions in some interesting ways. It is an enjoyable read though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm still strongly advocating Beryl Markham's masterpiece. Really, folks, this is one of the great books of the English language, and deserves a win here. And besides all that great book stuff, it's just a really excellent read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's certainly been an entertaining vote to watch.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #23
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I requested the front runners from both the regular and literary clubs. Hope they show up by mid next week.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's certainly been an entertaining vote to watch.
And someone wanted to get rid of this category? -- it looks to me like we have at least three choices that folks are interested in reading. And I admit, I've already finished reading one of them, and have the other two on my Kindle.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Looks like a possible tie vote.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #26
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Woot! Second runoff vote in 3 months!

I voted for West with the Night, but I can't get it from my library as an e-book. I can get Lost Horizon though and it does seem interesting enough so I am fairly split in how I want this to turn out. Maybe I can try WwtN as an audio book? Not sure what I think about that, audio books have a hard time keeping my attention because I need to do something with my hands when I am listening to things and that tends to become my focus.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Looks like we'll be having a run off vote. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but in a couple of hours I'll set it up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The runoff poll has been posted. Since this is a Friday, I decided to allow four days for voting instead of the normal three, since weekends tend to be slow around here.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote