Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels

This is the MR Literary Club selection for February 2015. Whether you've already read it or would like to, feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time! Guests are also always welcome.

GoodreadsAmazon AUAmazon CAAmazon UKAmazon USKoboAudible

So, what are your thoughts on it?

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I have the audiobook narrated by Peter Marinker queued up and ready to go once I finish the one I'm currently on.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Looking forward to it! I put in a request with my library which usually takes a few days. That's ok. I've got two books to finish over the weekend anyway.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
If all the positive reviews and the Orange Prize etc are anything to go by, we have a wonderful book to read this month.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, but I've put Fugitive Pieces next on the list. That's a nice cover, sun surfer.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It will probably be late March at least before I can obtain this. But I will read it after so many positive things already said about it.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I understand, the prose is heavily poetic which may be a plus or minus depending on your perspective. I know, for me, there needs to be a balance between poetry and narrative. So I'm interested to see if Anne Michaels finds that balance.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
From what I understand, the prose is heavily poetic which may be a plus or minus depending on your perspective. I know, for me, there needs to be a balance between poetry and narrative. So I'm interested to see if Anne Michaels finds that balance.
It seems readers are divided over its style. That should probably contribute to some interesting discussion!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Still waiting for my request to come in. My requests seem to be taking a while. Two of them have been saying in transit for a week now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #10
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the links, I'll take note to have this. A lot of pending reads for me, but I'll try to purchase this one if it's already viable on my end.. (I'm looking for ward to see all your reactions though, that usually keeps me excited)
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
From what I understand, the prose is heavily poetic which may be a plus or minus depending on your perspective.
I've only through the first few pages, but until now for me her style doesn't work. I hope I get accustomed to it or it gets better when there is more action. I'm very interested in the topic, in the general story of this book.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate

It's a pretty tough read.

That's not to say I don't like it. I'm finding the prose really impressive and I do feel a terrible sense of loss at times. However, I tend to read in public transport to and from work. People in trains are noisy beasts and in the morning I start off quite tired. This doesn't impact me as much with a gripping narrative, but it can make it difficult to focus on a book like this.

One thing I really do like in this book is the way memory is woven into the narrative: the fact that Jakob overlays the memories of another with his own; the entering of his family into his dreams; the way different characters honour or bury memories; the whole geological metaphor being used throughout; the reference to Nazi Germany's attempt to create new memories to suit its agenda. It's impressive and evocative - hence my emotional response in parts.

Prose poetry is a tough gig. It can be a hard sell for people not reading in the right atmosphere and/or at the wrong time. It quickly becomes work instead of an escape (not that all reading should necessarily be an escape). I just wish I could give it the focus it deserves.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:21 AM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have just finished it. I feel for you Caleb, trying to read in such distracting places. I deliberately read it during quiet times where there were no disturbances and I could concentrate on the language and the feelings.

To me it was a beautiful meditation on love, loss, grief and pain. I loved the way that music was woven through the story, though I can imagine this could be difficult for people who don't know/don't like the music of Brahms. For me it is beautiful, passionate and often quite sad music that fitted perfectly with the dark story and the beautiful language with which it was told.

I loved this sentence from near the end of the book:

Quote:
Truth grows gradually in us, like a musician who plays a piece again and again until suddenly he hears it for the first time.
This echoed the ending of T S Eliot's Four Quartets which we read last month:

Quote:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Did you like it when Jakob met Michaela? I was mesmerised by that whole section. I was lucky to be home and having my morning coffee so I got to read it distraction free. It was magical. A great part of the story to read on Valentine's Day.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #15
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Yes, an absolutely beautiful section. You felt that Michaela brought Jakob peace and quiet happiness after a life of stress, difficulty and pain.