Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: HomeInMyShoes Vote • February 2015, Multiple Choice
Barney’s Version by Mordecai Richler 4 57.14%
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston 3 42.86%
February by Lisa Moore 3 42.86%
Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels 4 57.14%
A Good Man by Guy Vanderhaege 2 28.57%
The Grey Islands by John Steffler 1 14.29%
Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese 2 28.57%
Kamouraska by Anne Hébert 2 28.57%
Kicking the Sky by Anthony De Sa 2 28.57%
The Love of a Good Woman by Alice Munro 3 42.86%
Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson 3 42.86%
Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richard 1 14.29%
No Great Mischief by Alistair MacCleod 1 14.29%
Obasan by Joy Kogawa 2 28.57%
Sanaaq by Mitiarjuk Nappaaluk 3 42.86%
The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence 3 42.86%
Two Solitudes by Hugh MacLennan 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
February: the first twenty pages had me hooked on Helen's story and the next fifty pages made me weepy.
Out of all the books on the list, this one interested me the most. However, I only voted for ones I could get from an eLibrary. Which means I'm still in the race.

If I hazard upon February in an eLibrary or feel up to getting the paperback from a library, I will borrow it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I generated the list there was obviously interest in all the titles for me, but the first ones to appear were:

The Colony of Unrequited Dreams
February
Indian Horse
Sanaaq

Obviously, there was a Newfoundland and Labrador slant in the selections a bit and that was purposeful as well. I lived in St. John's for three years and Newfoundland is dear to my heart now. During that time the Cougar Helicopter disaster occurred. Those helicopters fly workers out to the rigs and the closeness of the community and the effect of that incident on the community really struck me.

And I don't have to imagine the settings. I know the church. I know all the streets named. I've dipped my toes in the ocean at Topsail beach. February was a bit of a self-centered selection, but it is so visceral for me. Halfway through now.

I requested Fugitive Pieces from the library. Its interesting that one of the last additions to the list is in the run-off vote.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The one-day run-off poll is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Your inability to choose makes me proud. 41 votes from 7 people is pretty high. I am also surprised that Alice Munro didn't walk away with this. I was fearful of that when I included her in the list. I have a feeling the run-off is going to be a runaway, but prove me wrong. I picked both of those to finish fairly high.

I'm also surprised that every book got a vote. I'm glad I didn't waste space on the list which was my worry when it became so long.

I'll add that I have now read three books from the list this year and have started a fourth. All have been very worthwhile.

A Good Man: I really liked the relationship between Sitting Bull and Walsh
No Great Mischief: a tough book to start, but it opens up beautifully
Sanaaq: the Inuit way of life was a joy to read

February: the first twenty pages had me hooked on Helen's story and the next fifty pages made me weepy.
I had three that I thought were likely to do well in the poll. First, like you, was Munro, just because of name recognition in a crowded field and also because I thought it might be more likely to be available to some members than some other books (though that was just a guess). Second were the two war-related books, Obasan and Fugitive Pieces, because war-related books tend to do well here. Judging from other posts though, it's looking like availability had a lot to do with the votes this month.

I voted for all three of the ones you've already finished reading; glad to hear you liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
...The Colony of Unrequited Dreams is also a wonderful book, but very Newfoundlandish, which may be of real interest to some...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This one was high on my list. I watched a TV show recently featuring the people, food & culture in Newfoundland and thought it was fascinating. The landscape was beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
...I lived in Labrador when I was young and Joey Smallwood, who the Colony of Unrequited Dreams is about was a friend of my father who was a young union leader in the early 60s.
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams was my top choice; it sounds beautiful. Very interesting ccowie about your connection to it - your views could've been a really interesting addition to discussion had it won.

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-05-2015 at 02:06 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #19
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To add to the discussion about Canadian books, I just finished Canada Made Me by Norman Levine. I recommend it very highly to those that want a real picture of Canada in the 1950s. While markedly bitter and harsh in places, much of it still rings true today. A very worthwhile read.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote