Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Poetry Vote • January 2015, Multiple Choice
Lyrical Ballads, with a Few Other Poems by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth 4 36.36%
Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot 7 63.64%
Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes 3 27.27%
Pass Thru Fire: The Collected Lyrics by Lou Reed 3 27.27%
Canto General by Pablo Neruda 3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Poetry Vote • January 2015

Help choose the January 2015 selection to read for the MR Literary Club! The poll will be open for three days and a discussion thread will begin shortly after a winner is chosen.

The vote is multiple choice. You may vote for as many or as few as you like. If you vote for the winner it is hoped that you will read the selection with the club and/or join in the discussion.

In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day non-multiple-choice run-off poll. If the run-off also ends in a tie, then the tie will be resolved in favour of the selection that received all of its initial nominations first.

Select from the following works:

Lyrical Ballads, with a Few Other Poems by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth
Spoiler:

From fantasyfan:

This was the trailblazing poetry anthology that ushered in the Romantic Literary movement in England and initiated what some regard as the greatest explosion of great poetry in the language. It includes Coleridge's justly famous "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and Wordsworth's profound "Lines Written a few miles above Tintern Abbey"--both remarkable masterpieces.

It is available free from Project Gutenberg.

Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot
Spoiler:
From Kobo:

Four Quartets is the culminating achievement of T.S. Eliot's career as a poet. While containing some of the most musical and unforgettable passages in twentieth-century poetry, its four parts, 'Burnt Norton', 'East Coker', 'The Dry Salvages' and 'Little Gidding', present a rigorous meditation on the spiritual, philosophical and personal themes which preoccupied the author. It was the way in which a private voice was heard to speak for the concerns of an entire generation, in the midst of war and doubt, that confirmed it as an enduring masterpiece.

From Bookpossum:

Not very long (about 35 pages in my paper copy) but very deep and immensely rewarding. For those who do not know this work, here is a small sample from The Dry Salvages:

For most of us, there is only the unattended
Moment, the moment in and out of time,
The distraction fit, lost in a shaft of sunlight,
The wild thyme unseen, or the winter lightning
Or the waterfall, or music heard so deeply
That it is not heard at all, but you are the music
While the music lasts.

Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes
Spoiler:
From paola:

Ted Hughes Birthday Letters: these are the letters written "to" Silvia Plath after her death.

Pass Thru Fire: The Collected Lyrics by Lou Reed
Spoiler:
Kindle edition link.

From Amazon:

Containing a body of work that spans more than three decades, Pass Thru Fire is a stunning collection of the lyrics of an American original. Through his many incarnations-from proto punk to glam rocker to elder statesman of the avant garde-Lou Reed’s work has maintained an undeniable vividness and raw beauty, fueled by precise character studies and rendered with an admirable shot of moral ambiguity. Beginning with his formative days in the Velvet Underground and continuing through his remarkable solo career-albums like Transformer, Berlin, New York, Magic and Loss, and Ecstasy-Pass Thru Fire is crucial to an appreciation of Lou Reed, not only as a consummate underground musician, but as one of the truly significant poets of our time.

Canto General by Pablo Neruda
Spoiler:
Canto General by Pablo Neruda (or parts of it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Neruda
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We're still missing a few regular voters. I requested the T.S. Eliot from the library today. I know I've read The Wasteland and Prufrock and probably Four Quartets previously, but it will be nice to refresh my memory of T.S. Eliot a bit.

I'm still hoping for Ted Hughes. I was deeply affected by many of the poems in Birthday Letters when I first read them in 2012.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
We're still missing a few regular voters. I requested the T.S. Eliot from the library today. I know I've read The Wasteland and Prufrock and probably Four Quartets previously, but it will be nice to refresh my memory of T.S. Eliot a bit.
In principle I would have been happy with any of the books (save for Lou Reed ), but voted for Hughes only on the basis of length - I know I have too much to catch up, I am not definite about it, but I may have to call it quits this month
(got workmen starting pulling down rooms in the flat from next Monday, wish me luck!)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Four Quartets is the shortest of all the listed works. It's around 60 pages. The great thing about poetry, at least with any of the others is reading an individual poem is generally brief. Although, understanding and interpreting can take months.

Just saying. I'm also pretty sure no one will be evicted for not reading a month's selection.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Good luck with the demolition job Paola!

Yes HIMS, we could probably spend months on each poem and still not get to the bottom of them, but January will have to suffice! I do hope people enjoy them.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Four Quartets is the shortest of all the listed works. It's around 60 pages. The great thing about poetry, at least with any of the others is reading an individual poem is generally brief. Although, understanding and interpreting can take months.

Just saying. I'm also pretty sure no one will be evicted for not reading a month's selection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum
Yes HIMS, we could probably spend months on each poem and still not get to the bottom of them, but January will have to suffice! I do hope people enjoy them.
yes indeed, I was originally confused, I thought the Lyrical Ballads had won!
I have the 4 quartets in pbook somewhere, who knows where though... I loved The Wasteland, and hope to cobble together at least one long, quiet evening per quartet.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote