Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
"Stealing" an idea by desertblues (post 7) I would like to nominate
Canto General by Pablo Neruda (or parts of it). Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the availability on your side of the pond/in the English world.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'll second Canto General by Pablo Neruda.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I have to admit that this isn't my favourite category either, but I've been looking for an excuse to read this book on my shelf for a long time. The fact that it's a paper book actually on my shelf tells the story of just how long it's been there.

So, I'd like to nominate The Collected Works of Billy the Kid: Left-Handed Poems by Michael Ondaatje.

Sorry for the long summary from Amazon, but I didn't think the Good Reads summary made much sense.

From Amazon:
Michael Ondaatje's sprawling sequence of verse interspersed with poetic prose exposes the persona poem as one of poetry's surest paths to honesty. Through unsettlingly precise detail and unsentimental empathy, the character of Billy the Kid is recreated-and revisited-in all its brutality and splendor. Ondaatje's unflinching commitment to honesty yields a persona that is as vibrant and realized as possible, resulting in a series of confessions that range from disturbing to revelatory.

The image, consistently startling, graphic and discomforting, carries the speaker through the entire sequence. Whereas most imagery depends on the eye for effect, Ondaatje utilizes all five senses throughout the book. We taste wine "so fine/it was like drinking ether," we feel Pat Garret's "oiled rifle" against Maxwell's cheek and hear it fire beside his ear, "leaving a powder scar on Maxwell's face that stayed with him all his life." We smell the smoke in Garret's shirt and taste the nicotine in his mouth. At times, the stunned silence of Ondaatje's unremitting narrative conjures a hush so palpable that we can "listen to deep buried veins in our palms." It doesn't take long for The Collected Works of Billy the Kid to immerse the reader in its own unique world, accessible now only through words and photographs.
Most memorable, though, are the intensely graphic images that sprout from the page throughout the book. The chicken digging for a vein in the dying Gregory's neck, the warts in Billy the Kid's throat "breaking through veins like pieces of long glass tubing," the blood caked in Tom O'Folliard's "hair, arms, shoulders, everywhere." All these paint an unmistakable landscape of a bleak and desolate New Mexico in the 1880's, a scene so haunted that even "the sun turned into a pair of hands" and pulled out hairs from Billy the Kid's head which, we're told later, is "smaller than a rat." Not one potentially enlivening detail is overlooked; not one square inch of landscape or action escapes the reader's view.

Ondaatje's ambitious project demonstrates that the recipe for great writing is precise detail compounded by believable emotion, a recipe he follows to the letter. Ondaatje executes these two devices so effectively at times that a kind of piercing, revelatory insight emerges periodically. Magical disclosures such as the characterization of Pat Garrett as one who "became frightened of flowers because they grew so slowly he couldn't tell what they planned to do," help to fully realize both the character of Billy the Kid and the times in which he lived, and establish Ondaatje's book as perhaps one of the greatest attempts at persona poetry in the 20th century.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Third Neruda and second Ondaatje.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
fantasyfan nominated the original 1798 edition, which is free on Project Gutenberg. Looking at my e-book which I downloaded last time it was nominated, it is 151 pages long.

Over to fantasyfan on which edition he wants to nominate.
Thanks Bookpossum. If it wins I might also go with the gutenberg edition that you downloaded and fantasyfan referenced to make sure I have the right version, though I hope the formatting will be okay because sometimes those gutenberg texts are a mess and that could be an especial problem for poetry.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #20
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes I agree. But a quick flip through the book suggested it is quite good, though I didn't do a detailed examination.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Third Neruda and second Ondaatje.

Thanks Bookpossum. If it wins I might also go with the gutenberg edition that you downloaded and fantasyfan referenced to make sure I have the right version, though I hope the formatting will be okay because sometimes those gutenberg texts are a mess and that could be an especial problem for poetry.
I have in mind the original 1798 edition. The formatting looks fine to me in that edition.

It's worth mentioning that one can get the Oxford edition in the Kindle store which has both the 1798 and 1802 editions allowing one to make textual comparisons. Gutenberg also has a two volume edition from 1800 but the formatting in that edition gets some justified complaints.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-04-2015 at 01:57 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little less than a day left for nominations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I have in mind the original 1798 edition. The formatting looks fine to me in that edition.
My apologies; I may not have been clear enough in what I was wondering about. I knew from your first post that you meant the 1798 edition; what I was saying was that that edition was showing as having very different page numbers on different editions in goodreads. For instance, take a look at a sampling of the different editions, all of which say they are the original 1798 edition:

Lyrical Ballads, 1798, 403 pages
Lyrical Ballads, 1798, 128 pages
Lyrical Ballads, 1798, 552 pages
Lyrical Ballads, 1798, 98 pages
Lyrical Ballads, 1798, 251 pages

So I was saying that I don't understand why that is because I haven't researched it - I just noticed it as I was linking the nomination to goodreads - and that, if there is no further enlightenment as to why, if it wins and people download from different sources they may end up with different versions even though they think they have the same.

Quote:
It's worth mentioning that one can get the Oxford edition in the Kindle store which has both the 1798 and 1802 editions allowing one to make textual comparisons. Gutenberg also has a two volume edition from 1800 but the formatting in that edition gets some justified complaints.
This could very well be the reason for the different page lengths of the original edition; some editions of those could be mislabelled as the original 1798 edition even though they're longer.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #23
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have checked the Gutenberg 1798 edition against the Oxford edition of the original 1798 publication and they are identical as to the poems included. The Gutenberg 1800 2 volume copy is to be avoided.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #24
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Birthday Letters. Just saying.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #25
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Canto General*by Pablo Neruda nominated
The Collected Works of Billy the Kid: Left-Handed Poems nominated
Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #26
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'll fourth Canto General
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I'll fourth Canto General
This one was already fully nominated, Hamlet just giving it its fourth.

Nominations are now closed. Poll up here.

Last edited by sun surfer; 01-05-2015 at 02:19 PM.