Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
For MP3 Audiobooks when using Android I use the Smart AudioBook Player by Alex Kravchenko which is an amazing app. I bought the full version.

I just got the Apple version based on your recommendation, then I had to buy the paid version ($1.99) because full page pop-up ads every time I touched the speed control got old really quick. It wouldn't play anything in my iTunes library, but I side-loaded a couple of books from Librivox and it did fine. I don't see book titles, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #77
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just got the Apple version based on your recommendation, then I had to buy the paid version ($1.99) because full page pop-up ads every time I touched the speed control got old really quick. It wouldn't play anything in my iTunes library, but I side-loaded a couple of books from Librivox and it did fine. I don't see book titles, though.
Make sure your book is properly tag. I use MP3 tag because it's so easy to use and does alot of nice features. Overdrive MP3 books do well on the app and usually already tag right.

I don't know how different the Apple version is from the Android but I don't remember any annoying ads before I bought it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #78
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Make sure your book is properly tag. I use MP3 tag because it's so easy to use and does alot of nice features. Overdrive MP3 books do well on the app and usually already tag right.

I don't know how different the Apple version is from the Android but I don't remember any annoying ads before I bought it.
That may be the problem. I did properly tag the books before importing them into the iPad—for iTune devices! I'll try to tag them with the tags the rest of the world uses and see what happens.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The SmarterPlayer iOS app gives you free speed control. Jest sayin'. It also lets me add the OverDrive books in my iTunes library.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #80
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I'm just starting to experiment with audiobooks, so haven't listened to them on anything other than my Sansa Clip Zip. I have the Audible and OverDrive apps on my phone though, in case I decide I like books this way and want to make this a more regular habit.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I'm just starting to experiment with audiobooks, so haven't listened to them on anything other than my Sansa Clip Zip. I have the Audible and OverDrive apps on my phone though, in case I decide I like books this way and want to make this a more regular habit.
That's a good start. The Zip is my favorite audio player and I always have one in my pocket.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #82
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just curious, does anyone use the test-to-speech feature to listen to audiobooks?
I use it from time to time on Moon+ and Google Books.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Just curious, does anyone use the test-to-speech feature to listen to audiobooks?
I use it from time to time on Moon+ and Google Books.
I've used it, but don't particularly care for it.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #84
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I've used it, but don't particularly care for it.
I just came across this:
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/pra...-amplification
which makes TTS much more interesting to me.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I just came across this:
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/pra...-amplification
which makes TTS much more interesting to me.
Actually, the thought of increasing the speed as I listen as a brain-training exercise occurred to me when Blossom first suggested a listening app with a variable speed control. It seems like it could be beneficial, but I'm not sure that using the artificial text-to-speech instead of a regular audiobook would provide the additional benefit of being an early adopter of what amounts to a primitive type of brain/computer interface. It couldn't hurt to try, I suppose. If you do, give a progress report.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:29 AM   #86
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Here's what so crazy: Phones are getting bigger at the same time that clothing manufacturers are offering fewer and fewer pockets on both pants and upper body wear. We're becoming a generation of men and women with no place to keep our stuff.

I know what you mean! The pockets are getting smaller too! My dad is always nagging on about how my iPhone is about to fall out of my pocket. It sticks out like a sore thumb in my jeans. Thankfully it's almost fall, so I'll be able to wear my jacket with the roomy pockets again soon.

I mostly listen to audiobooks on my computer through iTunes. I sync them to my iPod Touch and Nano (well, a few anyway) too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #87
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I listen exclusively on my Sansa Clip Zip. I have two of them. That way if I am not done with expired books on one of them, I can download more books to the other.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #88
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I'm listening on the iPad, the Samsung Galaxy Player, and the Clip Zip. I do most of my listening at home so the iPad is the primary device. When I'm doing laundry I use the Galaxy Player (it's attached to a lanyard so I hang it around my neck). I mostly use the Clip Zip for out-and-about or for WMA audiobooks from the library. If I don't buy a Samsung Galaxy phone before year end I'll take tubemonkey's advice and buy a no-contract phone just for audiobooks. I need something with an OS better than Gingerbread

(On a slightly off-topic note, yesterday I discovered the iPad can do text-to-speech! It doesn't work in all apps but it works in the Pocket app, which is great because I'm forever sticking web articles in there to read later, but later never seems to get here Josieb1 mentions an iOS text-to-speech app that can access your ePubs in Marvin. It's pricey but I'm interested.)
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I mostly use the Clip Zip for out-and-about or for WMA audiobooks from the library.
OverDrive is taking an awful long time with their program to convert WMAs to MP3s. They announced last January and still nothing. I'll be glad when protected WMAs disappear from OverDrive.

Quote:
If I don't buy a Samsung Galaxy phone before year end I'll take tubemonkey's advice and buy a no-contract phone just for audiobooks. I need something with an OS better than Gingerbread
No-contract phones will be a category in my Black Friday thread this year. I plan to get one this year. I got one last year, but then gave it away (family).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #90
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm listening on the iPad, the Samsung Galaxy Player, and the Clip Zip. I do most of my listening at home so the iPad is the primary device. When I'm doing laundry I use the Galaxy Player (it's attached to a lanyard so I hang it around my neck). I mostly use the Clip Zip for out-and-about or for WMA audiobooks from the library. If I don't buy a Samsung Galaxy phone before year end I'll take tubemonkey's advice and buy a no-contract phone just for audiobooks. I need something with an OS better than Gingerbread
Look at the Lumia 630. Awesome OS, and has an external SD card slot (MicroSD) and it not expensive.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote