Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #226
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Just had time to look a few up. The only name I recognize is Alberto Moravia. I'm really looking forward to whatever gets chosen. Great list!
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #227
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The poll is up!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #228
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have checked out my library, which sadly only has a couple of these books, so I shall have to look further afield.
ouch, my mistake, did not think of library availability, I am really sorry about that - if this becomes an issue, I will be glad to move to more readily available titles, sorry about that!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #229
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Just had time to look a few up. The only name I recognize is Alberto Moravia. I'm really looking forward to whatever gets chosen. Great list!
Same Here! 😊
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #230
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
ouch, my mistake, did not think of library availability, I am really sorry about that - if this becomes an issue, I will be glad to move to more readily available titles, sorry about that!
No problem Paola - I was more lamenting my parochial library! We have many Australians of Italian descent, so I was rather surprised not to find more of these authors were available.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #231
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who would like to take their turn selecting the nominations for the upcoming rotating month in June?

(if you have any questions, you can refer to the first post or just ask)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #232
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This question hasn't been answered yet. I've been reluctant to push myself forward because I don't know if I can really offer anything new or different. One of the reasons I like this club is it broadens my horizons. I don't think I'm as capable of broadening the horizons of others.

Having said that, if we don't have anyone else, I'm quite happy to put forward one book that I'd like to read from each decade of the "Best of the 20th Century" exercise in progress. Not exactly 'out of the box', so if this seems like a pretty unpalatable idea let me know. I have a couple of other themes I could use instead.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #233
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This question hasn't been answered yet. I've been reluctant to push myself forward because I don't know if I can really offer anything new or different. One of the reasons I like this club is it broadens my horizons. I don't think I'm as capable of broadening the horizons of others.

Having said that, if we don't have anyone else, I'm quite happy to put forward one book that I'd like to read from each decade of the "Best of the 20th Century" exercise in progress. Not exactly 'out of the box', so if this seems like a pretty unpalatable idea let me know. I have a couple of other themes I could use instead.
Oh good, a willing victim. Your concept sounds fine to me, with the possible reservation that I'm not sure I would rate all the books on those lists as "literary." But that's just my opinion on the literary cutoff.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #234
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Hurrah for caleb! June is yours. I'll ask for your nominations at the beginning of the month.

And don't be worried about any of that, caleb. These rotating nominations are for everyone to have a chance to put forth books they're interested in reading and discussing with the group, and to give all our members a feel of having one of their nominations being chosen and shared with the group. Certainly the club is often horizon-broadening to me (and I hope to all the members), but it can never always be so; there's always months where someone's already read the book in question and so on. I look at it as we just do our best and hope everyone enjoys it on the whole, and I trust you with whatever idea and nomination list you want to go with.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #235
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good for you Caleb and that sounds like an interesting exercise to me. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #236
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Your concept sounds fine to me, with the possible reservation that I'm not sure I would rate all the books on those lists as "literary." But that's just my opinion on the literary cutoff.
Too true. However, I'm trying to select those that I think are literary. I could be wrong as I will have read none of those I put forward.

I followed some small "rules" to help me select books I thought might be appropriate:
  • I haven't read any of the books
  • Each book needed to be a book I actively want to read (a bit selfish I know)
  • Tried to avoid sci-fi/fantasy (except for the one I simply had to have)
  • Tried to keep the length of the books manageable so people aren't immediately put off
  • Tried to keep my selection to books I suspected were literary enough for this book club

This helped quite a bit, but there still managed to be a decade or two where I agonised over a number of choices. From memory, 1921-1930 was the hardest.

Because I will want to read every item on the list, I probably won't vote myself. My vote would probably be a vote for all, which is a bit pointless. But you never know; I might sway in a particular direction.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #237
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
  • Each book needed to be a book I actively want to read (a bit selfish I know)
It's your month. No harm in being selfish on that front.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #238
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It's time for June's selections. caleb, what choices do you have for us?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #239
caleb72
Indie Advocate

OK - here it is.

I haven't collected any links at this point. If anyone objects to the "literariness" of any of these, let me know.

1901-1910: The Getting of Wisdom - Henry Handel Richardson

Spoiler:
The subject of this book is a young woman: an awkward, insecure, restless and 'knowing' child who learns that self-realisation depends on rebellion and escape, but that the latter will first demand at least the semblance of conformity. In telling lies, Laura learns both the astonishing allure of fiction and the social costs of stepping beyond the bounds of propriety, gender, class, and family ties.
The novel is only in part a fictionalised account of Richardson's school years at the Presbyterian Ladies College, Melbourne, where (unlike her fictional counterpart) she was not only academically successful but also an outstanding student of music. Unusual for stories of school-life, The Getting of Wisdom was clearly aimed at a mature readership able to understand irony and a critique of the colonial educational provision of its day, including a determination to preserve sexual ignorance in young women.

1911-1920: Sons and Lovers - D H Lawrence

Spoiler:
The marriage of Gertrude and Walter Morel has become a battleground. Repelled by her uneducated and sometimes violent husband, delicate Gertrude devotes her life to her children, especially to her sons, William and Paul - determined they will not follow their father into working down the coal mines. But conflict is evitable when Paul seeks to escape his mother's suffocating grasp through relationships with women his own age. Set in Lawrence's native Nottinghamshire, Sons and Lovers is a highly autobiographical and compelling portrayal of childhood, adolescence and the clash of generations.

1921-1930: The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

Spoiler:
The Sound and the Fury is the tragedy of the Compson family, featuring some of the most memorable characters in literature: beautiful, rebellious Caddy; the manchild Benjy; haunted, neurotic Quentin; Jason, the brutal cynic; and Dilsey, their black servant. Their lives fragmented and harrowed by history and legacy, the character’s voices and actions mesh to create what is arguably Faulkner’s masterpiece and one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century.

1931-1940: Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Spoiler:
Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs, all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations, where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his
distress...

Huxley's ingenious fantasy of the future sheds a blazing light on the present and is considered to be his most enduring masterpiece.

1941-1950: Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

Spoiler:
The most nostalgic and reflective of Evelyn Waugh's novels, Brideshead Revisited looks back to the golden age before the Second World War. It tells the story of Charles Ryder's infatuation with the Marchmains and the rapidly-disappearing world of privilege they inhabit. Enchanted first by Sebastian at Oxford, then by his doomed Catholic family, in particular his remote sister, Julia, Charles comes finally to recognize only his spiritual and social distance from them.

1951-1960: Rabbit, Run - John Updike

Spoiler:
Rabbit, Run is the book that established John Updike as one of the major American novelists of his—or any other—generation. Its hero is Harry “Rabbit” Angstrom, a onetime high-school basketball star who on an impulse deserts his wife and son. He is twenty-six years old, a man-child caught in a struggle between instinct and thought, self and society, sexual gratification and family duty—even, in a sense, human hard-heartedness and divine Grace. Though his flight from home traces a zigzag of evasion, he holds to the faith that he is on the right path, an invisible line toward his own salvation as straight as a ruler’s edge.

1961-1970: Justine (The Alexandria Quartet #1) - Lawrence Durrell

Spoiler:
The time is the eve of the World War II. The place is Alexandria, an Egyptian city that once housed the world's greatest library and whose inhabitants are dedicated to knowledge. But for the obsessed characters in this mesmerizing novel, their pursuits lead only to bedrooms in which each seeks to know—and possess—the other. Since its publication in 1957, Justine has inspired an almost religious devotion among readers and critics alike.

1971-1980: If On a Winter's Night a Traveller - Italo Calvino

Spoiler:
Italo Calvino's masterpiece combines a love story and a detective story into an exhilarating allegory of reading, in which the reader of the book becomes the book's central character.
Based on a witty analogy between the reader's desire to finish the story and the lover's desire to consummate his or her passion, If On A Winter's Night A Traveller is the tale of two bemused readers whose attempts to reach the end of the same book, If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino, of course, are constantly and comically frustrated. In between chasing missing chapters of the book, the hapless readers tangle with an international conspiracy, a rogue translator, an elusive novelist, a disintegrating publishing house, and several oppressive governments. The result is a literary labyrinth of storylines that interrupt one another - an Arabian Nights of the postmodern age.

1981-1990: The Color Purple - Alice Walker

Spoiler:
The Color Purple is a 1982 epistolary novel by American author Alice Walker which won the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for Fiction. It was later adapted into a film and musical of the same name.

Taking place mostly in rural Georgia, the story focuses on the life of women of color in the southern United States in the 1930s, addressing numerous issues including their exceedingly low position in American social culture. The novel has been the frequent target of censors and appears on the American Library Association list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2000-2009 at number seventeen because of the sometimes explicit content, particularly in terms of violence.

1991-2000: The Gospel According to Jesus Christ - José Saramago

Spoiler:
A brilliant skeptic, José Saramago envisions the life of Jesus Christ and the story of his Passion as things of this earth: A child crying, the caress of a woman half asleep, the bleat of a goat, a prayer uttered in the grayish morning light. His idea of the Holy Family reflects the real complexities of any family, and—as only Saramago can—he imagines them with tinges of vision, dream, and omen. The result is a deft psychological portrait that moves between poetry and irony, spirituality and irreverence of a savior who is at once the Son of God and a young man. In this provocative, tender novel, the subject of wide critical discussion and wonder, Saramago questions the meaning of God, the foundations of the Church, and human existence itself.

Last edited by caleb72; 06-01-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #240
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Hoorah - all that I don't have available at my library! Interesting list Caleb. The ones I have read (long ago) I would love to revisit, so I'll be pleased whatever wins.