Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
verona
verona began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-ink device with TTS/audiobook integration

Hi,

First of all, I want to apologize for my English. I am not a native speaker and mostly read / listen to English books and articles. Hope you guys can help me to choose! Being a geek I don't mind to jailbreak the device to achieve the needed functionality

I am looking for an E-ink reader for reading books and other texts from the internet (articles, mailing lists discussions etc). Currently I am using iPhone for this but it's not doing any good to my eyes . I also find audiobooks very convenient, have audible.com account and recently discovered Voice Dreamer app for iPhone which is great for reading texts that are not available in audiobook format. Being stay-at-home mom with running around toddler, I don't have much time for reading and want to use it the most efficient way. Sometimes (like when doing chores or in the car) audio is more convenient, sometimes I can read few pages.

My ideal setup for gathering material:
- no manual syncing, everything is cloud-based
- browsing on Mac and iPhone, sending links to articles to the cloud
- buying / downloading books on Mac, converting them with Calibre to the needed format, sending them to the cloud

My ideal setup for the reading:
- seamless switching between audio version and text, device remembers the reading position
- tts for multiple languages (English, Russian, Dutch)
- listen to audio on iPhone (and not on the reader) because of AirPlay and bluetooth car integration
- backlight for reading in the dark
- touch interface

My candidates so far:
1) Kindle Touch.
Pros: good "send to kindle" functionality
Cons: no backlight, no tts in iPhone Kindle app - have to use Kindle for audio.
Questions: Is Kindle TTS quality any good? Can it read in different languages?

2) Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight
Pros: backlight, tts in iPhone Nook app (with VoiceOver)
Cons: VoiceOver is not the best TTS, have to switch languages in the iOS to have VoiceOver read in different languages, no "send to Nook" functionality
Questions: is there any "send to Nook" functionality? Jailbreak setup with other cloud service?

Thanks for any tips!
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle Touch cannot read TTS in anything other than English. No Kindle can.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
verona

I think I hear Kindle reading in Polish in this video:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129250
Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You might want to check Onyx Firefly, they have frontlight and tts ability.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona View Post
I think I hear Kindle reading in Polish in this video:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129250
It would have to have had a hack of some kind installed.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I think for audiobooks you're far better off getting a small MP3 player and not an ereader. Think about the size of the thing you'd be carrying as you run around and do your chores. It's much easier to stick a little MP3 player in your pocket than a 6" screen device.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
verona

Yes, that's why I prefer to use iPhone for audio, but to be able to switch between audio and text version of the same book, the current reading position has to be synced across devices. I only know that Amazon and B&N cloud services can do it.
Are there any other services, perhaps open source apps that can do it?

Last edited by verona; 04-24-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
verona

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
The specs look really good, I wonder how TTS sounds. Couldn't find any examples...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You can proably find more information on onyx boox forum here. This is where I heard samples:
https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...-hd-angel-glow

and this is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4mk5aC53I
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

I think they're going through new editions on this unit, so be wary of any changes.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
verona

Wow, those samples!! Can't believe it's a mechanical voice…
Thanks!
Quote:
You can proably find more information on onyx boox forum here. This is where I heard samples:
https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...-hd-angel-glow

and this is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4mk5aC53I
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Couple of points regarding onyx firefly.

Even i wanted to buy it with ivona TTS.
Warranty, support and price are excellent if we buy it through Booxtor(ereader-store.de) but we don't get ivona TTS which as per my research is the best TTS in the market. The default TTS which i have on onyx m92 isn't good.

Also booxtor's model has 256 mb RAM while artatech offers 128 mb.

Recently Ivona TTS was acquired by Amazon.

As Dr. Drib mentioned, onyx is trying to launch android based eink reader. I will wait for some more time and then buy as i don't need TTS at the moment
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
PocketBook has good TTS. You may want to look at the PocketBook Touch 2 which was announced today and will be availalbe in a few weeks' time.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
PocketBook has good TTS. You may want to look at the PocketBook Touch 2 which was announced today and will be availalbe in a few weeks' time.
I have the older 902 model, and although the TTS voice is fine, there is an annoying pause between sentences while the screen updates the highlighted region that is being read. Is this still a problem on the Touch? Perhaps the quicker screen refresh makes the Touch better than the 9XX models for this.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I don''t use the TTS a lot on my PocketBook Touch, but I've never noticed an annoying pause as far as I can remember.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote