Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #61
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Gee, was it something I said? Sorry if I was being pushy with the above suggestions.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #62
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
sounds good to me, too, but I'd love to keep plays in, too, again as it broadens my horizon.
On the main proposal, that is fine with me, too, though I'd suggest giving a range centred around hte 5 or 6 we nominate, e.g. 3 to 8 - I just wonder whether 10 may be too many, in the sense of spreading the vote too much, but either way I don't have strong feelings on this.

And sunsurfer, thanks for keeping this going with great energy!
Yes, I think a minimum around 5 or 6 nominations would work, for the reasons you mention. As for plays....keep 'm in: I like to try all genres, except horror which I tried and often didn't like.

And yes as well for thanking Sunsurfer to keep this going, even if it is sometimes not clear how many members this bookclub has. I know I watched on the sideline for quite some time, before I dared take the plunge.

Nice to see and contemplate all the individual suggestions.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #63
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks for the comments. We're definitely above critically mass now so the new plan is a go.

Bookpossum, it wasn't anything you said! I had a full weekend so in the end decided I'd wait until Monday to reply. Lots to consider and I didn't want to reply too hastily when I didn’t have time to think on it properly.

paola, 3-8 as a range sounds good. I wasn't sure if three or four would be better as the minimum, so it's nice to hear some input.

desertblues, five or six as a minimum is a possibility too. Could it may be a little high for a minimum though? I was thinking either three or four, but if you'd rather a higher minimum it's a thought.

Billi and Bookpossum, thanks for the feedback on nominating and voting periods. When we first started, I think they were actually even longer than that, but we shortened them over the months and years to keep a nice pace going and it worked well. But it's been awhile so yes, we'll add a day to nominating and voting and see how it goes now.

Bookpossum, I like your poll idea. I also like your list and I had been trying to work on one as well, but no matter how it's configured there's always a few left off that seem deserving, so the best way might just be a one-off vote.

fantasyfan, thanks for your Biography/Memoirs suggestion. I'm open to trying it but with only half the categories surviving to the next 12 months, it might be a hard sell, especially over the more general Non-Fiction. With a poll we can put it with the other categories and leave it up to the vote. People might be in the mood for trying it.

Did I miss anything? I think that covers it all so far.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #64
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps we could change the themes every year, as I would miss Contemporary and Poetry very much. But if the rest want them out, I'm O.K.

About the nominations: a minimum of 4 would go, but less would mean not enough choice, I fear.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #65
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I think a minimum of four sounds good, and maybe a maximum of eight, as paola suggested. And of course we would have the option of choosing a theme when it was our turn to do the choosing of titles for the month. So if Biography/Memoir doesn't get up, fantasyfan could always give us a choice of them when it's his turn!
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I love the idea of a biography/memoir month! Jest sayin'....
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #67
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've posted a category poll for us and it's here.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #68
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've finished updating the first posts with all the links to club threads, and I've also added the monthly categories for 2013-2014, including the categories voted on in the poll. Here's what our categories should look like for the next year:

July - Highly Challenging
August - Rotating
September - Biographies & Memoirs
October - Rotating
November - Region
December - Rotating
January - Poetry
February - Rotating
March - Non-Fiction
April - Rotating
May - Time Period
June - Rotating

The Non-Fiction category will exclude biographies and memoirs this cycle. The categories continuing on from the last cycle are staying where they already were, including Time Period which accidentally went in May last time (and how odd and serendipitous it is that the continuing categories all fit perfectly into an alternating pattern from the month they were in last cycle).

I'll post more on our first Rotating month in August once we've decided on our July selection. Thanks to all of you old and new who are a part of the club - it wouldn't be possible without your participation and it's been an enjoyable ride with many interesting and thought-provoking discussions that make it all worth it. Here's looking forward to another fun and illuminating year!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #69
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks again to you, sun surfer, for the great job you do in keeping the club going so smoothly. I'm really looking forward to another year of great discussions with everyone.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #70
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post

Thanks again to you, sun surfer, for the great job you do in keeping the club going so smoothly. I'm really looking forward to another year of great discussions with everyone.
I love this club!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I love this club!
This club is the cat's pajamas.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #72
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yes it's the bees knees.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #73
desertblues
Home for the moment

Yes, I like the club and applaud Sunsurfer's efforts and contributions of others. (frantically searching for cat's pyamas and bees knees. I thought to throw in some wooden clogs or water as it rains all summer this year...... but I refrained)
Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #74
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
It's "riding the bee's back". {An Irish phrase}
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #75
desertblues
Home for the moment

? I will not be able to participate for a few weeks, as I am in the process of writing up/editing the book on my research. The crash of my PC and subsequent loss of some files didn't help. Well....see you all some time later.

On the positive side: I am going to Indonesia (Sumatra, Bali, Java and Lombok) for a month in April and will cling to the idea of that project.And I can continue reading the Mahabharata and Ramayana that I began to read for India, as those are relevant epen/os for those parts as well.