Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
hikerguy
hikerguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Editor worked once. Now it won't open my book for editing.

As luck would have it, I watched the video on how to edit a book, then tried it myself and it worked fine. Now when I add the .html file of my book to Calibre and convert it to epub format, when I click Edit. all that comes up is a window that say:

"Live preview

Here you will see a live preview of the HTML file you are currently editing. The preview will update automatically as you make changes."

I have tried it about 4 times now with the same result. It seems to convert to epub fine (in fact, it must be converting, because if I don't convert and click Edit book, it tells me the book must be in the AZW3 or EPUB format).

What's even odder is I can double-click my book title and it displays the contents just fine.

Any thoughts as to why I'm not seeing my book now when I click right-click my book title and choose Edit?

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited by hikerguy; 03-24-2015 at 09:37 PM.
hikerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Have you opened the file in the Editor file browser?

Which panels are active? Can we see a screenshot of what you see?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
hikerguy

eschwartz, I guess I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by the Editor file browser. What is that exactly?

Here are two screenshots. Once is the main interface of Calibre showing the two books that are there now. Mine is the one named "networking". When I right-click it and select Edit book, I see the other pic.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/hi...dv6gx.gif.html

I'm stumped on what happened between the time it worked (only the very first time) and now. Any help is much appreciated. I have high hopes for Calibre. Looks like an amazing program.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Menu ==> View ==> File Browser (make sure this is checked).

I think you may have accidentally hid the file browser -- that's the panel that lists all the files in the book and allows you to open them to edit.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
hikerguy

Thank you! That was it. That had me stumped. I'm not even sure how I hid that lol
Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Then too, there have been a (very small) handful of reports that peoples' settings were changing on them. The few times it happened, the victims couldn't explain it, the issue was never duplicated, so it never got fixed -- assuming it indeed happened, which is itself unclear.

File under M for Mystery...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@hikerguy - in the editor, have a look at Edit->Preferences->Keyboard shortcuts->Windows - maybe you set a keyboard shortcut for the File Browser window. The default value for all the Windows panels is None.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2015-03-25 , 13_48_30.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	136357

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
hikerguy

Thanks for that tip BetterRed.