Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book will get us in the mood for love in February?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 11 44.00%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 13 52.00%
Ali and Nino: A Love Story by Kurban Said 6 24.00%
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 11 44.00%
Latakia by JF Smith 2 8.00%
Tigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy 5 20.00%
Echoes by Maeve Binchy 3 12.00%
Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy 3 12.00%
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë 8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Wish I could say the same. I supported it, but I'm finding it really hard going. I've started it three times, and put it down three times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I found it a slog myself. If it wasn't for my commitment to reading the book club selections, I would have quit very early on. The bright side is that is less than 300 pages!
It's an old favorite of mine. I think it's delightful. And
Spoiler:
tragic
Beautifully written and characterized.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #62
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's an old favorite of mine. I think it's delightful. Beautifully written and characterized.
OK, I'll have to give it one more try. I really want to be a functioning part of this book club, so that means sometimes reading things I'm not really enjoying, so long as I don't find them completely offensive in some way. (But I'm not worried about next month -- I have a great idea for that category!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #63
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's an old favorite of mine. I think it's delightful. And
Spoiler:
tragic
Beautifully written and characterized.
I'm looking forward to discussing your "word" tomorrow
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OK, I'll have to give it one more try. I really want to be a functioning part of this book club, so that means sometimes reading things I'm not really enjoying, so long as I don't find them completely offensive in some way. (But I'm not worried about next month -- I have a great idea for that category!)
Oh, I'm not arguing with those who dislike it. Didn't Miss Jean Brodie say something along the lines of, "For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like." And it is the sort of thing I like. I'll be interested to read the naysayers' reactions.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I'm looking forward to discussing your "word" tomorrow
This re-read caused me to up my Goodreads rating from four stars to five. A masterpiece.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #66
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I may start this tomorrow. I haven't decided yet. I know I certainly won't start it tonight as I am too darn tired/sleepy. It'll manga (continuing Kitchen Princess) on deck if I read anything at all.
I tried twice but couldn't get into it.. I think its more of a mood/timing thing than the novel itself. I do intend to try again at some point.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I found it a slog myself. If it wasn't for my commitment to reading the book club selections, I would have quit very early on. The bright side is that is less than 300 pages!
I've not read this one specifically, but I have read other books by Wharton and they were a slog as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For those interested, I finished reading Ali and Nino on the weekend. It was beautiful. One of the best books I've read this year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #69
Thomas Clark
Thomas Clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The fault in our stars.
Thomas Clark is offline   Reply With Quote