Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #12391
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
HOW do you manage that?! Do you have a waterproof player?
I have a standard iPod Nano (3rd Generation), and an OtterBox case for it, along with waterproof headphones. Headphones hook onto the goggle straps, and the otterbox clips onto my suit in the back. Works reasonably well. However, otterbox no longer makes equivalent cases for the newer iPods, so I need to periodically score a "new" iPod off eBay. I think I'm on my third now.

There are other cases, but none I've seen so far that were anywhere near as good as these. Wish they hadn't discontinued them -- if this one dies for any reason, I'll have a heck of a time replacing it.

Last edited by CRussel; 02-15-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarify new iPod, not case
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #12392
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
...I still use audio books for...swimming....
Me, too, but I'd like a more portable sound system for my iPod. The one I have now is a three separate speaker system with a lot of wires and cords; kind of cumbersome to drag poolside. The self-contained units I've used never seem to have enough volume.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #12393
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Me, too, but I'd like a more portable sound system for my iPod. The one I have now is a three separate speaker system with a lot of wires and cords; kind of cumbersome to drag poolside. The self-contained units I've used never seem to have enough volume.
Now I'm really confused. Do you strap all this lot to you (), or just sit it at at the edge of the pool and turn the volume up to 11?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #12394
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now I'm really confused. Do you strap all this lot to you (), or just sit it at at the edge of the pool and turn the volume up to 11?
I sit the unit in a chair on the deck while I swim. The problem is that I can't find a self-contained unit that goes all the way up to 11. My last one only went up to 10, and everyone knows 11 is louder than 10 (apologies to Spinal Tap).

But back to what I'm reading—I just downloaded an interactive sample chapter of this textbook for my iPad.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #12395
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I sit the unit in a chair on the deck while I swim. The problem is that I can't find a self-contained unit that goes all the way up to 11. My last one only went up to 10, and everyone knows 11 is louder than 10 (apologies to Spinal Tap).
Glad to see you got the reference . You must be really popular with your neighbours...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #12396
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- A Study in Sherlock by Laurie R. King, et al - a bit of a cheat to add this to my "finished books" list, because I didn't finish two of the stories in it. But I gave them a chance and they didn't grab me in the first few pages, so I skipped them.

Currently reading:

- A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (41%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (26%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #12397
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Don't you fellows get the Stephen Fry readings of the HP audiobooks?
No, Stephen Fry does the British versions, Jim Dale the American. I have the British versions and, having heard samples of the American versions, I far prefer Stephen Fry, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #12398
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Gee, I never realized that Jim Dale was British as well as not knowing that he reads the Potter audio books. Of course I don't own any audio books.
Do you remember the old British slapstick "Carry On..." films from the 60s and 70s? Jim Dale appeared in many of those, normally in a "nice young man" part.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #12399
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool audio books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you remember the old British slapstick "Carry On..." films from the 60s and 70s? Jim Dale appeared in many of those, normally in a "nice young man" part.
No, I don't, I just remember him in something in the 60's where he played the part with an American accent.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #12400
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also fun, even though there doesn't seem to be much overall plot, in tthe series as a whole.

Onto the last in the series (so far):Infected: Freefall by Andrea Speed
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #12401
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Glad to see you got the reference . You must be really popular with your neighbours...
I have a 1/4 acre lot. The sound doesn't carry too far.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #12402
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
No, I don't, I just remember him in something in the 60's where he played the part with an American accent.
If I'd only seen Stephen Fry on guest appearances on Bones and only heard Hugh Laurie speak as House, I'd never have suspected that the stars of Jeeves and Wooster were British.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #12403
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Among my other reading, I'm reading two books by an author here on MobileRead. I think I'll wait until I've finished both and review them together.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #12404
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, Stephen Fry does the British versions, Jim Dale the American. I have the British versions and, having heard samples of the American versions, I far prefer Stephen Fry, personally.
I'm not surprised you would have a preference for a British speaker over a US one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #12405
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Because of the Stephen King's discussion around here, they kindled my attraction for King's writing and started The Stand (the forth time and I never got to finish it) and I plan to finish it.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote