Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #46
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you sure? I know I tested a lot of combinations, but I thought I up with Georgia selected for the screen shot. I will try and check again tonight.
I am now, but I had to doublecheck :-) The screenshots below are from my Glo with firmware 3.13.1 reading the sideloaded epub version of this book (which has two different embedded fonts: a handwriting font used for journal entries, and a monospace font used for typewritten letters.)

The first screenshot has "Document Default" selected, it is the same whether patched or unpatched. The second has Amasis selected without jackie_w's patch. The third has Amasis selected with jackie_w's patch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	document-default.png
Views:	569
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	137169   Click image for larger version

Name:	amasis_unpatched.png
Views:	581
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	137170   Click image for larger version

Name:	amasis_patched.png
Views:	655
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	137171  
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:55 AM   #47
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Bald Eagle,

Just to fool you, neither of the above Try something like these instead:
Code:
@font-face {font-family: "Charis"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url("res:///fonts/normal/Charis SIL Compact")}
@font-face {font-family: "Charis"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url("res:///fonts/bold/Charis SIL Compact")}
@font-face {font-family: "Charis"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url("res:///fonts/italic/Charis SIL Compact")}
@font-face {font-family: "Charis"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; src: url("res:///fonts/bolditalic/Charis SIL Compact")}
where the blue label matches whatever you've put in your css class and the red name matches exactly the internal filename of the font family.

When you add new fonts to user memory /fonts (i.e. /mnt/onboard/fonts) and then reboot, the Kobo "does stuff" with the contents of the fonts directory and holds the data somewhere else internally.
Aha! As soon as I started doing it right it worked right away! Thank you for pointing it out for me. I wondered why people would sort their fonts by weight, but apparently never enough to 'get it'.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
So paragraph 2 is monospace even though you haven't applied the patch? Now that does surprise me Is Kobo's font-family 'enforcer technique' no longer effective?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The patch is still needed in firmware 3.13.1. But the CSS it modifies is only included in the stylesheet when you select a font from the list. If you choose "Document Default" instead, then all of the original publisher's fonts will be active whether you use the patch or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I am now, but I had to doublecheck :-) The screenshots below are from my Glo with firmware 3.13.1 reading the sideloaded epub version of this book (which has two different embedded fonts: a handwriting font used for journal entries, and a monospace font used for typewritten letters.)

The first screenshot has "Document Default" selected, it is the same whether patched or unpatched. The second has Amasis selected without jackie_w's patch. The third has Amasis selected with jackie_w's patch.
I checked again attached the screenshots. These are taken on my wife's Glo running 3.12.1. There are four screenshots, two with Georgia and two with Document default. One of each has has the font dialog displayed to show which font it is. I have attached the copy of jackie_w's test epub from the Glo in case anyone wants to check it.

I don't have anything running 3.13.1. But, with the firmware running on my Glo, it seems to be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monospace-georgia-selector.png
Views:	173
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	137187   Click image for larger version

Name:	monospace-georgia.png
Views:	197
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	137188   Click image for larger version

Name:	monospace-document-selector.png
Views:	185
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	137189   Click image for larger version

Name:	monospace-document.png
Views:	186
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	137190  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Kobo Monospace - jackie_w.epub (4.0 KB, 105 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #49
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't have anything running 3.13.1. But, with the firmware running on my Glo, it seems to be the same.
I checked your epub with firmware 3.13.1 and I get exactly the same results as you. The font family explicitly set at paragraph level is not overridden. This is new to me, I didn't notice when it changed.

However, the other book I tried used a construct like this:
stylesheet:
Code:
div.journal {font-family: "Journal";}
html:
Code:
<body>
 <p>This paragraph should use whatever font the user selects.</p>
 <div class="journal">
  <p>This paragraph should use the special "Journal" font.</p>
 </div>
</body>
In this case the override still takes effect on the <p> inside the <div>, so the patch is still needed.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #50
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Geoff and David,

Thanks for the effort you've put in trying to figure all this out

Trying to get one's own carefully constructed css to work precisely as specified - no more, no less - is a bit like trying to hit a moving target
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Sticking to 3.1.1 because I like font weight/sharpness on separate controls and I don't want to edit the config for it.
I find no need to go in and edit the config for sharpness. I just increase the weight and whatever the sharpness is, it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote