Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Tristy1313
Tristy1313 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Hi all, I need to find a good book to read next!

Hi, I'm new to these forums. I'm just looking for a new book to read right now. New to me, not necessarily newly published. In the past, here are some books I've loved: Watership Down, The Joy Luck Club, Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist, and The Hunger Games series are just a few. I'm not really big on crime thrillers. And it might sound strange, but I love when they talk about food and eating in books. Loved the descriptions of food in Joy Luck Club, Hunger Games, and the Harry Potter books, haha! Just wondering if anyone with similar tastes might recommend something. Thanks!
Tristy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_Water_for_Chocolate
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I know you don't like thrillers, but if you are OK with mysteries that are more cozy, the Corinna Chapman series by Kerry Greenwood has lots of descriptions of food. The main character is a baker, so there are descriptions of her work. Also, most of the books include at least one fancy potluck party with the eccentric residents of her apartment building, complete with descriptions of all the food.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Chocolat - Joanne Harris
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Tristy1313
Tristy1313 began at the beginning.

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys! I was actually thinking about reading Chocolat for sure. I'll look into all these.
Tristy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
TaraMcTiernan
Enthusiast
TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Other foodie reading

Although you were referring to novels, considering your specific love of books that talk about food and eating, a few in particular come to mind. One is Under the Tuscan Sun, which details incredible sounding meals in the Italian countryside (as well as the renovation of an old and beautiful home). The movie with the same title had little to do with the book - FYI.

Another writer that made me salivate was Ruth Reichl, who wrote some great memoirs of her life as a chef and food writer including Comfort Me with Apples, Tender at the Bone and Garlic and Sapphires.

All of these are memoirs/non-fiction, but beautifully written and as transporting as a novel, so worth considering

Hope this helps!
TaraMcTiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
If you liked Watership Down, I bet you'd like Brian Jacques' Redwall series, featuring anthropomorphic animals. The critters have magnificent feasts.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote