Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
DTurner
DTurner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub to Mobi using Kindle Preview - Cover warning

Hi there,

I am using Kindle Preview to convert some epubs to mobi and keep getting a warning about the cover image:

Warning(prcgen):W14010: media file not found /var/folders/0r/0rqiDOkxE8WAWM0SOMGlYU TQ/-Tmp-/mobi-j3Acty/OPS/cover.jpg.

The cover image is in the main OPS folder - I moved it out of the images folder thinking the converter was having trouble finding it, but that hasn't solved it.

The text for the metadata in the opf is:

<meta name="cover" content="images_cover"/>

The manifest listing is:
<item id="images_cover" href="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />

I can't see what I'm missing.

The file opens ok in Kindle Previewer, with everything as it should be, despite the warning. Will the file be rejected with the warning, if it is showing up ok?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great - thank you!

Duncan
DTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Just yesterday I started using the Kindle Previewer to convert epubs to mobi and sideload them into my "Kindle Content" folder (on my PC). I had been using Calibre to do the conversions, but I found that the mobi files Calibre generated showed only generic thumbnail covers when viewed with Kindle for PC. Kindle Previewer solves this problem. The mobis created by Kindle Previewer show the warnings you mention, but look fine in Kindle for PC.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
I use version 2.4 of Kindle Previewer to convert epubs to mobi - but don't get any warnings.
I have created the epubs with Sigil. Have you opened the epubs in Sigil? It also has a validator to check if the epub validates.
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
DTurner
DTurner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The epub does pass validation (through the IDPF website), and the mobi file opens ok in both Preview and Reader . . . not sure what is going on. The cover jpeg is in place, and is properly identified as the cover image, I think . . . will do some more digging.

Thanks again!

Duncan
DTurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, epub, kindle preview, mobi