Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #1921
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I used SqueeBooks a few times for LJ fics but it kept giving me very bad results so in the end I simply copy-paste it all with patience on a document and then do the formatting and TOC and all myself. It's faster after a while.

re ao3 tags
Spoiler:
I personally don't let AO3 import any tags on my calibre library and input them myself. AO3 canonical tags are awesome, yes, but redundant (for me). Plus all the extra are too many and too different depending on the author. So I import and leave all blank and add myself by reading the tags .. Like if in ao3 is "angst, hurt/c, romance, I was drunk, friends to lovers, case fic, lol this was cool, france, medieval, torture" I put my "H/C, Case fic, Place.France, Past.Medieval, Violence" I feel it's more organized. After reading it I usually add or delete tags accordingly, like, if they also went to Africa, I'll add that. It doesn't take time at all, I know my tags, I know what I can add, so it's a matter of seconds.
I also don't care about the F/M, F/F, M/M etc because 90% of my fics are M/M (and the same pair) the rest Gen and some F/M and F/F. Plus the whole library (3000+) is only for 1 fandom so no need to add that or the characters. Probably if I start reading another fandom I'll create another library. The organization of our libraries is very subjective, it depends on so many factors, in how many fandoms you like to read fics, your favorite tropes, if you have otps or not...etc. All that would shift the building of the library and the tags involved.
For kinks i have "Kink (general one), Kink.BDSM, Kink.Omegaverse, Kink.Voyeurism" and that's all, I don't really read many kinky fics, no D/S, no heavy BDSM etc, so that's enough for me, I have very few.
I do love to nest tags. I do it for Job AU (Job AU.Coffee etc), for places Place.Italy, etc, for Supernatural elements (Supernatural.Magical Realism, Supernatural.Vampire, etc) for Sci-Fi like Sci-fi.Androids, Sci-fi.Dystopia etc, for Eras "Past.19th century, Past.Regency" ...and others.

Last edited by glos; 09-27-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #1922
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
I'm mostly using GrabMyBooks now: faster and Sigil doesn't throw fits with the output in general, so all's well. For some massive things I've actually taken to copypasting directly into Sigil, but use the Edit ToC feature in Calibre to edit the ToC Sigil generates.

Ah, well I do find AO3's tags useful, particularly since I have over 14000 fics (and still counting) in 10 or 20 fandoms saved: tagging them all one by one now after removing the existing tags would drive me batty. It's too bad I don't think Calibre's tag browser has multiple select and/or can line up tags by how many times they've been used (basically how many books use that tag). I could just go delete everything that is single-use at once if it could.
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #1923
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefiriot View Post
Ah, well I do find AO3's tags useful, particularly since I have over 14000 fics (and still counting) in 10 or 20 fandoms saved: tagging them all one by one now after removing the existing tags would drive me batty. It's too bad I don't think Calibre's tag browser has multiple select and/or can line up tags by how many times they've been used (basically how many books use that tag). I could just go delete everything that is single-use at once if it could.
I can select more than one tag in the tag browser (press option key and click with mouse on my mac) and calibre shows me all the books with one of those 2 or + tags I've selected.
If instead I do a search like:
tags:"=Kids" and tags:"=Mythology"
I'll have only the one book that uses BOTH tags.
On the tag browser there's the "alter tag browser" button where you can select the "sort by popularity" option that will order your tags with the first being the most used. Like it becomes
[242] Case fic
[157] H/C
[157] Violence
[106] Drugs
and so on.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #1924
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
On the tag browser there's the "alter tag browser" button where you can select the "sort by popularity" option that will order your tags with the first being the most used. Like it becomes
[242] Case fic
[157] H/C
[157] Violence
[106] Drugs
and so on.
Thanks for that tip: really useful! I'm currently weeding out all the single use tags with it. There are still a boatload of them but I don't have to look through all the entries of the alphabet to find them now.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #1925
lph57
lph57 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire HD
First and foremost, thanks for the help and for the fantastic plugin - love it!

My issue:
Just upgraded Calibre and FFDownloader plugin today. Everything was working fine until I started to play around with the "Make Anthology Manually..." option then I started to get errors. Once I got the first error message, no matter what I tried to do with the plugin after resulted in additional, similar error messages.

After this first error message, even trying to download one story at a time results in errors, not just trying to use the Anthology options.

Other info:
I have EPubMerge and EPubSplit installed as well.
All of the failed downloads happen to be from ff.net.
I've removed/re-installed the plugin as well as restarted Calibre with no success.

Have you encountered something similar? Is it just my bad luck ?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the most recent error message:

calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 32] Broken pipe

calibre 1.5 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-12.5.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '12.5.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Mon Jul 29 16:33:49 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
OSX: ('10.8.5', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 699, in prep_downloads
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #1926
th_ing
th_ing began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Hi, I've just noticed that I'm having problems downloading from AO3. It keeps on lagging and/or freezing completely when I use it and gives me this:

FFDL:WARNING:calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_ plugin.fanficdownloader.adapters.base_adapter(181) :Caught an exception reading URL: http://archiveofourown.org/works/498...iew_adult=true Exception <urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>.

I have a feeling it might be having problems downloading multiple chapters maybe? Because I downloaded single chapter stories well enough...

My Calibre is updated to the latest version and so is the FFDL plugin.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #1927
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lph57 View Post
Other info:
I have EPubMerge and EPubSplit installed as well.
All of the failed downloads happen to be from ff.net.
I've removed/re-installed the plugin as well as restarted Calibre with no success.
calibre, version 1.5.0

('Darwin', '12.5.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Mon Jul 29 16:33:49 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
File "calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_plugin.ffdl_ plugin", line 699, in prep_downloads
The only thing ffdl_plugin line 699 does is print the FFDL version number so it appears in debug & job log.

I have seen that 'Broken pipe' error with a Mac user with EPubSplit. For that one, the debug output wasn't much use so I just removed it all. But I don't want to do that for FFDL.

A 'Broken pipe' error typically means that the stdout or stderr that the process is trying to right to either has a full buffer or has been closed prematurely.

I'm most puzzled by the fact that it used to work and then it stopped. What could have changed between when it worked and when it stopped? Is this a general problem with calibre on Mac?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #1928
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th_ing View Post
Hi, I've just noticed that I'm having problems downloading from AO3. It keeps on lagging and/or freezing completely when I use it and gives me this:

FFDL:WARNING:calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_ plugin.fanficdownloader.adapters.base_adapter(181) :Caught an exception reading URL: http://archiveofourown.org/works/498...iew_adult=true Exception <urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>.
This error pretty clearly states what's wrong--the archiveofourown.org servers didn't respond to one of the requests. Their servers get overloaded sometimes.

FFDL does retry a few times on error, so when you see this your options are pretty much limited to 'try again later' or 'download their epub from the site'.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #1929
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.7.46 - 29 Sept 2013
  • Fixes for indeath.net - Thanks Besnef!
  • Better Non-BtVS/AtS detection for tthfanfic.org
  • do_update_hook for fimf, find newest chapter and update from there when true.
About the do_update_hook for fimfiction.net feature:

Code:
[www.fimfiction.net]
## fimfiction.net stories allow chapters to be added out of order.  So
## the newest chapter may not be the last one.  FFDL update doesn't
## like that.  If do_update_hook is uncommented and set true, the
## adapter will discard all existing chapters from the newest one on
## when updating to enforce accurate chapters.
#do_update_hook:false
Old 09-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #1930
lph57

Quote:
Here's the most recent error message:

calibre, version 1.5.0

Python 2.7.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
The only thing ffdl_plugin line 699 does is print the FFDL version number so it appears in debug & job log.

I have seen that 'Broken pipe' error with a Mac user with EPubSplit. For that one, the debug output wasn't much use so I just removed it all. But I don't want to do that for FFDL.

A 'Broken pipe' error typically means that the stdout or stderr that the process is trying to right to either has a full buffer or has been closed prematurely.

I'm most puzzled by the fact that it used to work and then it stopped. What could have changed between when it worked and when it stopped? Is this a general problem with calibre on Mac?

Thanks for checking in on this. I would not rule out it being a Mac only issue, but I really don't know Calibre well enough to say for sure. I only use it on my Mac.

I hadn't tried using EPubMerge or the Make Anthology option in FFDL until after I had already upgraded both Calibre and FFDL yesterday (I never realized it was an option before). In the previous versions of Calibre and FFDL I had only downloaded stories by URL so I don't know for sure that this wouldn't have happened in prior versions.

To try and be more detailed, I've done some playing around to see if I could narrow it down to specific behavior. It does seem limited to working with the Anthology options on FFDL.

In the interest of not adding a super long post I am attaching my results below in a txt file. Hope that's okay. If you have a chance to review I would appreciate it. Perhaps it may point you to a new bug or perhaps it's just me !

Anyhow, that's where I left off testing things. I can still download stories individually and then make anthologies manually, which is fine as the functionality is still there. At this point it's just the errors that are frustrating me.

I just really liked the idea of being able to do it all as one step and not end up with two copies of the same story (one in anthology and one separate).

Thanks for your time and for reviewing this!
Attached Files
File Type: txt ffdl_testing.txt (5.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #1931
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Thanks for checking in on this. I would not rule out it being a Mac only issue, but I really don't know Calibre well enough to say for sure. I only use it on my Mac.
1a. When choosing the "For Individual Books" button all stories download fine and then I can create an anthology using EPubMerge.

1b. When choosing the "For Anthology EPub" button, the download starts, I get through the point of seeing the "FFDL Download Complete" box and can click "Yes" to proceed with merge. Then I see an alert box saying "Starting Merge" but also get the following error message:
How long a list are we talking about? What's the URL to the page?

All of the errors came on simple print() calls. So I'm really leaning towards it being an issue with the size of the buffer available for output.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #1932
lph57

Quote:
How long a list are we talking about? What's the URL to the page?

All of the errors came on simple print() calls. So I'm really leaning towards it being an issue with the size of the buffer available for output.
I've tried with varying list lengths thinking that maybe I was trying to do too many stories at a time but it still resulted in errors each time. Didn't seem to matter if it was 2 stories or 20 stories.

I also tried a variety of story lengths (single chapter vs. multi-chapter), wondering if that had anything to do with it. Didn't seem to matter - errored no matter what.

Some links I was trying:
Single Chapter Story List
http://www.fanfiction.net/community/...9/0/1/0/0/0/0/

Multi-Chapter Story List:
http://www.fanfiction.net/community/...9/1/2/0/0/2/0/

If it is the buffer, is that an adjustment that I can make on my end?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #1933
th_ing
th_ing began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
This error pretty clearly states what's wrong--the archiveofourown.org servers didn't respond to one of the requests. Their servers get overloaded sometimes.

FFDL does retry a few times on error, so when you see this your options are pretty much limited to 'try again later' or 'download their epub from the site'.

I suspected I'd have to wait but it wasn't working for the whole day so I wanted to check just in case. It works now and I'm glad it was that simple. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #1934
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
FYI, Kovid has given me a suggestion for this. However it may be several days before I have time to pursue it.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #1935
lph57

Quote:
FYI, Kovid has given me a suggestion for this. However it may be several days before I have time to pursue it.
Thanks for continuing to search for a solution
Closed Thread