Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have a Sony T1, it has had only one issue, an occasional double page turn. This only happens when using the buttons to turn pages. I've not had any troubles opening epubs, with or without images. It's been rock solid, very reliable.

My only beef is that I'd like higher resolution.

I do love my Aura HD, but I plan to keep a Sony around for speed and convenience of note taking and reliability.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
If you are set on getting a T1/T2, check eBay. There are a couple of Canadian sellers that have been selling used Sony models. I got the T2 and 350 from them recently really inexpensively. PM me if you want references.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

The only reason I am considering buying from Future Shop or the like would be the extended warranty I could buy just in case.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you're interested in extended warranties, check out SquareTrade. I got an extra 3 year warranty that included accidental damage for $35, giving me 4 full years of coverage. Watch for coupon codes or discount offers for the best price. It was half the price of going through Best Buy, where I actually bought the reader from. Their service is superb as well.

You can still find a few new 350s if you check around on eBay (such as this one). Check about buying extended warranties when purchased from eBay though, I seem to remember SquareTrade having some rules about that, but possibly only if you buy it used.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #34
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If you're interested in extended warranties, check out SquareTrade. I got an extra 3 year warranty that included accidental damage for $35, giving me 4 full years of coverage. Watch for coupon codes or discount offers for the best price. It was half the price of going through Best Buy, where I actually bought the reader from. Their service is superb as well.

You can still find a few new 350s if you check around on eBay (such as this one). Check about buying extended warranties when purchased from eBay though, I seem to remember SquareTrade having some rules about that, but possibly only if you buy it used.

I could well be wrong but as far as I know Square Trade doesn't offer their services in Canada.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #35
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I got a new T2 a few weeks ago, and frankly I just love it. Started out with a 600, which I still like, but the battery life is starting to fade (and I've already changed out the battery once). Also have a 350, which is great, sturdy and handy.

But the new T2 has really spoiled me with the absolutely glare-free screen (the one grumble I had with the 600).

I am not interested in the wi-fi and leave it turned off. And I prefer to side-load (I use Calibre for that and have had no problems). The other advantage to using Calibre is that it makes a de facto back-up copy of my library, which I then back up on our server.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just realized I forgot to ask if there is anyway to organize books - Kobo now has shelves - or if I can access the synopsis of a book (created in the comments section of the metadata in Calibre - Kobo has a "details" link to press which displays that info. Neither of which is life threatening, I was just curious if it has such features. The "Details" is far more important to me than shelves.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sony has collections to organize books. You can set them up on the device, or you can use calibre to have them auto-managed when transferring books. There are lots of options to organize books exactly how you want. For example, I have my series ordered by number and other genres ordered by publish dates when I transfer books.

Sony has a book details summary, but unfortunately it does not show the book summary. You could add that info to the front of the book when you do a conversion. Or you could create a catalog in calibre with the metadata info that you keep on the reader (that's what I do). Or less convenient you could look the info up in the Sony store, I suppose.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #38
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
* If the reader is turned completely off (not sleeping, but totally off) and I turn it on, sometimes while it's loading I'll get an error message that says something like "content server has unexpectedly quit." I press the "okay" button and everything is fine. I don't know what this means and it doesn't seem to have any negative effects.
This means that the reader has problems scanning the books on the device and updating its database. The reader simply gives up, i.e. new books you might have put on the device won't show up. This happens frequently with my T2 and I delete the whole database which then solves the issue. It will be rebuild without any problems until the next time.

It's a pitty that this already happens with the ~1.2 GB built-in memory of the device and a number of collections. (I'm wondering what use an extra SD card would be.)

BTW, which firmware version do you have? It's said that this has been fixed with newer versions.
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #39
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Sony has a book details summary, but unfortunately it does not show the book summary. You could add that info to the front of the book when you do a conversion. Or you could create a catalog in calibre with the metadata info that you keep on the reader (that's what I do). Or less convenient you could look the info up in the Sony store, I suppose.
Darn, I really relied on that feature.

I just updated my Touch last night after the update/crash and burn issue I had a couple of weeks ago, and the update is horrible for my Kobo. This reinforces my desire for a new device, I may wait to see what the T3's firmware looks like before committing to T2.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #40
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
... If the reader is turned completely off (not sleeping, but totally off) and I turn it on, sometimes while it's loading I'll get an error message that says something like "content server has unexpectedly quit." I press the "okay" button and everything is fine. I don't know what this means and it doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I just press the "okay" button and continue as normal. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmr View Post
This means that the reader has problems scanning the books on the device and updating its database. The reader simply gives up, i.e. new books you might have put on the device won't show up. This happens frequently with my T2 and I delete the whole database which then solves the issue. It will be rebuild without any problems until the next time ...

BTW, which firmware version do you have? It's said that this has been fixed with newer versions.
I'm using 1.0.04.11081, which is the latest version available in the U.S.

I haven't noticed any problem after the content server error -- no missing books or anything like that.

That's interesting about deleting the database. I didn't know you could do that. Good to know.

Another workaround I've found is to connect the T2 to my computer via USB cable, go into USB mode, then disconnect. According to this post, disconnecting from USB triggers the T2 to check through the file system and update the database. What baffles me is why the T2 doesn't do this any other time, like after a full shutdown or soft reset. I wish there was another way to trigger a db refresh since I download all my books via WiFi and rarely pull out the USB cable.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
September 19th is now the official release date for Sony T3. You might want to wait and check that out. The cover may have a built-in light that runs off the reader battery (no one knows for certain yet how it will work, it could be a separate button battery too, but it might be worth waiting to see).
It will be revealed on the 4th of September:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221355

But i where it said that 19th is the official release date?

Last edited by samy2; 09-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #42
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
I haven't noticed any problem after the content server error -- no missing books or anything like that.
That's only if you had added books and after USB disconnection the error occurs. The database will remain as it was before, i.e. the new books won't show up. (You won't lose entries already in the database.)

Quote:
That's interesting about deleting the database. I didn't know you could do that. Good to know.
That's no problem at all. I do it from time to time. Just delete the books.db and all the book cache entries.

Quote:
Another workaround I've found is to connect the T2 to my computer via USB cable, go into USB mode, then disconnect. According to this post, disconnecting from USB triggers the T2 to check through the file system and update the database.
Yes, that's right. Unless the error occurs, the database will be updated.

Quote:
What baffles me is why the T2 doesn't do this any other time, like after a full shutdown or soft reset.
I'm glad it doesn't, because I build the database by my own, putting all the titles, author names and collections I want for my books (and not the junk, the books sometimes contain). Once built, the database remains unchanged - even after reset and shutdown. Hurray!

Quote:
I wish there was another way to trigger a db refresh since I download all my books via WiFi and rarely pull out the USB cable.
I don't know a way of forcing the update either.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
It will be revealed on the 4th of September:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221355

But i where it said that 19th is the official release date?
There have been various sites saying that like here and here (I found lots of others, but as usual take it all with a grain of salt since it's not from Sony directly).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmr View Post
... [deleting the database is] no problem at all. I do it from time to time. Just delete the books.db and all the book cache entries.
I'm familiar with the books.db file, but what do you mean by "all the book cache entries"? Do you mean everything inside the "books" folder inside the "cache" folder inside the "database" folder"?

What happens if I just delete the entire database folder? Will a fresh new database folder get created?

Thanks!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #45
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
I'm familiar with the books.db file, but what do you mean by "all the book cache entries"? Do you mean everything inside the "books" folder inside the "cache" folder inside the "database" folder"?
Yes. The automatic update of the book database handles these entries as well, but after manually deleting books.db, books.db will be rebuilt, but the old cache entries (probably) won't get deleted. (Although I must admit that I never tested this.)

Quote:
What happens if I just delete the entire database folder? Will a fresh new database folder get created?
Well, I wouldn't delete the database folder itself, but I suspect that you can delete everything inside it and all db and cache files will be rebuilt. (Never tested though.)

On the other hand, the database handling besides the error you mentioned is perfect, i.e. no junk / remains of old entires will be remaining in the database or cache when the automatic update has finished. The only problem with the T2 is that error occurring after adding (or removing) a book. Sometimes it helps shutting the reader down - often it doesn't, and you won't see any change of content on the reader then. But it is interesting that deleting books.db always helps. The same amount of book data that seemed to cause the error is now no problem with a complete new rebuild of the database. Very strange and surely a bug Sony should take care of.

EDIT: By deleting the database you will of course lose all your reading history, annotations and such!

Last edited by ebmr; 09-03-2013 at 09:24 AM.