Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Looking for some info, please :)

Hello!!

I currently have a Kobo Touch, which has been messing up with all the frequent firmware updates and general annoyances.

I've been considering the Sony PRST2RC, but before we buy, my husband would like to me to ask how users like it, and if it has frequent or any firmware updates (which I hate), We have Sony mp3 players, which appear to have been phased out - he doesn't want that to happen with a ereader.

Does anyone have any weird issues or problems with theirs they'd be willing to share? Does it ever get firmware updates?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I love my T2.

In the year I've had it, it's only frozen once, and a paperclip reset took care of that quickly and easily.

Sony's firmware is pretty solid so updates are infrequent (the last one was Nov 2012). Also, updates are optional -- you get a notification when one's available, then you choose whether to update. It's not forced on you automatically.

I've only had 2 minor issues:

* Sometimes the upload to Evernote fails (I think it's a dropped WiFi connection). When this happens I go back to the Home screen, re-open the book, and try again.

* If the reader is turned completely off (not sleeping, but totally off) and I turn it on, sometimes while it's loading I'll get an error message that says something like "content server has unexpectedly quit." I press the "okay" button and everything is fine. I don't know what this means and it doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I just press the "okay" button and continue as normal.

Hope that helps.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The T2 is a great reader. Sony is known for their stable firmware which is why they have fewer firmware updates. There are rumors that the next model T3 will be released in mid-September. You could look for reduced prices on the T2 now or wait for the new model.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the replies! I noticed that the price had dropped to $79CDN on the Sony site and $99CDN at retail sellers.

My husband is thinking I should get a Kindle, which I REALLY don't want to do as my ebooks are all in epub format. His theory is that the Kindle will ALWAYS be supported, Sony could eventually decide not to support their readers anymore. A valid point, but I'm not convinced that will happen soon.

I like the Sony, the people I know who have it LOVE IT. I could wish for the ability to add new fonts as in the Kobo, but that's a very small issue.

If anyone else has anything to add to this conversation, I would appreciate it! Last time I went barrelling into getting the Kobo, and while it was fine for 8 months, it was all pretty much downhill from there.

Oh, I should add, I like to side load my books onto a microSD card and drag and drop books through Windows. Any issues with that?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
September 19th is now the official release date for Sony T3. You might want to wait and check that out. The cover may have a built-in light that runs off the reader battery (no one knows for certain yet how it will work, it could be a separate button battery too, but it might be worth waiting to see).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
VirgoGirl

If I can, I'll wait and see what the T3 is like. I'm not fond of built in reader lights, I think it drains the battery unnecessarily. I use a clip on light, but I know a lot of people like the built in lights.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You can read a bit more about the T3 here. The light won't be a front-light as part of the screen, but a light you possibly slide out from between the reader and the case. We're all just guessing right now whether it will be run off the reader battery or if it uses button batteries in the case. It seems to come with the cover though, either lighted or not.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
... Oh, I should add, I like to side load my books onto a microSD card and drag and drop books through Windows. Any issues with that?
I don't use a microSD card or Windows, but I've had no problems with drag-and-drop from my Mac to my T2. I also use the T2's web browser to download my ebooks from Dropbox to my T2 all the time.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=VirgoGirl;2603645]....................................Oh, I should add, I like to side load my books onto a microSD card and drag and drop books through Windows. Any issues with that?.................

Why not use Calibre as your library / storage facility ? ...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post

Oh, I should add, I like to side load my books onto a microSD card and drag and drop books through Windows. Any issues with that?
It can be done, but calibre is so much easier and more powerful.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise carpetmojo had got in first.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
VirgoGirl

Thanks for the link! Based on what I read, I think I'll go for the T2, I don't see any reason to pay more for a light I don't want and higher screen resolution I don't need. I'd rather save some money.

I only use Calibre for converting/formatting ebooks, I *never* let the reader and the program communicate. They shouldn't even know they each exist, lol! I had a problem early on with the Kobo needing to be factory reset after using it once with Calibre, which scared me off, and it seems that a few of the issues Kobo users have with their reader may stem from using it with Calibre. I figure dragging and dropping from computer folder to ereader folder is much less likely to mess up the reader's firmware. Using a microSD card to keep my books secure in case of the need to reformat makes me feel more secure, particularly with Kobo's frequent (stupid) firmware updates that wipe the internal HD of books or when it crashes and needs to be reformatted.

Can you tell I'm not happy with the Kobo?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
The only complaint I have is the fact that the T2 does not update the reading location and highlights on books I don't buy from Sony with the desktop software (via wifi), but my droid program does update page location and highlights with the desktop software on all books I am reading. Since I read library books most of the time, this is annoying.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
The only complaint I have is the fact that the T2 does not update the reading location and highlights on books I don't buy from Sony with the desktop software (via wifi), but my droid program does update page location and highlights with the desktop software on all books I am reading. Since I read library books most of the time, this is annoying.
Do you mean that it doesn't keep track of where you've stopped in the book on the T2, or that it doesn't update it when you've read the same book over 2 devices?

Keeping track of where I am in a book while I'm reading it is really important, but I wouldn't be reading it anywhere other than the reader.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It keeps track of where you are reading on the reader. peitsao is referring to syncing books between multiple devices. There are various combinations of wireless syncing between your computer, mobile device and the T2. Sometimes it matters that the book is purchased from the Sony store (and not elsewhere) in order for syncing to work.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I am hopeful that the T3 will have software that updates your reading location via wifi so that if I want to read the same book on my droid, I won't lose my place. That is really the only complaint I have with their software, but then, most other readers like Kobo and nook won't update my reading location with books I didn't buy from them either. Sony is nice in that I can do directly to my library from my T2 and download a book I want to read on the device. No other ebook reader makes it this easy to do.

Last edited by peitsao; 08-26-2013 at 11:56 AM.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote