Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
devseev
Edge User

Alternative virtual keyboards (and languages)

According to this very helpful post:
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...full=1#post405

"Smart Keyboard Pro 1.17 - this will completely replace the onscreen keyboard for the better - nice feature and actually works properly."

I ended up finding version 1.20 apk and installing it. It shows up in settings and I can check the box to enable it - but nothing happens.

Has anyone had success with installing other virtual keyboards? Does it actually replace the default keyboard? Is it a better experience? Is this the only way to be able to type in another language (e.g. cyrillic?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
fibrou
Edge User

The android apps discussions are great. The problem I am having, though, is I cannot find the apk's. I am sure it is because I am blind, but I cannot find the apks on either the androlib or slideme sites. If anybody has urls to the apks, that would be great.

Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
devseev
Edge User

Okay, I sort of resolved my own issues, but in case others are wondering: After you install an alternate keyboard apk, you can select to use it instead of the default keyboard by pressing and HOLDING in any input field (basically any field clicking in which brings up the virtual keyboard). Smart Keyboard pro is indeed nicer than the default keyboard, although it suffers from the same random LCD response issue as the regular one. You can select other languages once you have added them via the keyboard settings menus.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
orochi
Edge User

failed to add Japanese AND Chinses input apk...

Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
pirx
Edge User

Keyboard rumblings ...

I got a bit lost with changing the keyboard.

I decided to give Better Keyboard a try which is available as a 7.0 beta2 apk at the moment over here.

It shows up in applications allright after installing it.

When I try to use any keyboard the eDGe now starts showing "com.android.inputmethod.latin" as having "stopped unexpectetly".

Then when I try to change the input method (holding text input field or Enabling Better keyboard / Selecting Input Method) I get not to choose between "Android keyboard and Better Keyboard" but between "Android keyboard and Android Keyboard" ...

Having just written this I realise I have left a single tickbox activated under Android keyboard settings un the Locale & text Submenu.

Unticking this I now get to choose alright.

BUT opening the browser and trying to put some text in the searchfield ... I get no keyboard popping up ...

Instead I'm back with the Message "Edit text / Input Method" and the following opportunity to "Select Input Method" ... Android Keyboard or Better keyboard" ...

So no success.

Any other results?

-----
@orochi
Quote:
failed to add Japanese AND Chinses input apk...
Well I guess that's because that would require a download over the market place again? Or did you try to add the apk from somewhere else?
----

Is there any chance of getting hold of a keyboard with QWERTZ Layout and included german "Umlaute" = ö, ä, ü for the eDGe by the way ? Would improve its usability for me immensly .

Hints would be most welcome.

Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
pirx
Edge User

Well, finally realising or guessing that the Better Keyboard beta will never run because it's not intended to run under Android 1.6 I tried out AnySoftKeyboard instead just to check if any alternative keyboard will run on my device and it does (I am still learning the basics here so please be patient with me), but without solving my Qwertz-issue.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
pirx
Edge User

Thumbs up German keyboard layout

Well, since I have no way to access the android market at the moment I had to look around for an apk with a german keyboard layout (QWERTZ and ä,ö,ü,ß) for some time.

I know that there is BetterKeyboard which I would buy but cannot access and I know there are language packs for the newer versions on AnySoftKeyboard in the android market too.

After some searching I came upon this older version of AnySoftKeyboard on SlideMe (must have come past that a few times without realising ): "AnySoftKeyboard v20100119-imaginary" still has the language packs included. It does work on the eDGe and while it is not as snappy as the built in keyboard of the eDGe it will serve me well while writing in german.