Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Start location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 2019.1 of the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines is now available.

Listed changes are:
Updated 5.3, Guide Items, to clarify that the start reading location is defined by Amazon.
Over the years, there have been many threads started by readers, authors, and book makers about the start reading location, and many of these have expressed a strong desire that the location be the cover. It is frequently stated that just can not be done.

I recently bought Guns, Germs, and Steel on sale for $2.99 (, sale price still good), and imagine my surprise when it opened at the cover. (Actually, location 2, but that is the cover image.)

https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-St...dp/B06X1CT33R/

So, is amazon playing some kind of game?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting. The Look Inside sample also opens at the (first) cover. (There are two covers, both apparently full size. Is that true also of the downloaded book?)

I have found that not entering a start / text location in the epub gives me a fair chance of the Look Inside sample's starting at the cover. I don't think it follows that the downloaded book starts there, but I really don't care what happens once the shopper actually buys the book.

I never include a cover in the uploaded epub for Kindle, because that sometimes results in the duplicated cover (though usually the included cover is not full screen). Absent an included cover, I don't see how it's possible to point to a start location at the cover.

Indeed, my experience has been that if I do include a start / text instruction other than at the first page of text, the book will open in the middle of the TOC.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Guys?

Anyone here read the Publishing Guidelines? I'm starting to think that only J. Howell and I ever read this stuff. Check the newest version, 2019.1, which says, in 5.3:

Quote:
The start reading location is defined by Amazon. I
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Guys?

Anyone here read the Publishing Guidelines? I'm starting to think that only J. Howell and I ever read this stuff. Check the newest version, 2019.1, which says, in 5.3:

Quote:
The start reading location is defined by Amazon.
And isn't that exactly what I quoted and bolded in my OP?

My question is if it is not technically possible to have Kindle books open at the cover, how is it happening with this book?

And if it is Amazon policy to not have books open at the cover, why is it happening with this book?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
imagine my surprise when it opened at the cover. (Actually, location 2, but that is the cover image.)
Maybe you can't have it open at location 1, which is typically the cover?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And isn't that exactly what I quoted and bolded in my OP?

My question is if it is not technically possible to have Kindle books open at the cover, how is it happening with this book?

And if it is Amazon policy to not have books open at the cover, why is it happening with this book?
The "it's not possible..." thing is a hangover, from the days when the SRL was set, both initially by bookmakers and by folks that set the "start" location using a bookmark in Word. Then, in...I think it was 2012, Amazon changed it to the "first full page after the TOC" thing, and that's when the "you can't start at the cover" bit commenced.

I know that some people have reported anecdotally that not trying to set an SRL has resulted in books opening at the cover. I haven't invested any time in sorting out the what/why of it. I had a client recently, prior to the new PG I quoted above, having a cow about his SRL and we tried a variety of things, to no avail--the book opened to the first chapter. And we're not pikers at this.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my thoughts are, run the book through MOBI unpack, and let's see what's in it? You could be the discoverer of the answer.

Hitch
Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Interesting. The Look Inside sample also opens at the (first) cover. (There are two covers, both apparently full size. Is that true also of the downloaded book?)
kindleunpack output only has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Indeed, my experience has been that if I do include a start / text instruction other than at the first page of text, the book will open in the middle of the TOC.
That's weird.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
kindleunpack output only has one.

That's weird.
No, the mystery of the Middle-of-the-TOC is a real thing.

Hitch
Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
The key to have the SRL at the cover is very technical; basically consist in... to pray (because Amazon can do anything).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, the mystery of the Middle-of-the-TOC is a real thing.

Hitch
Should I written bizarre instead?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
The key to have the SRL at the cover is very technical; basically consist in... to pray (because Amazon can do anything).
But what about books that are not submitted to amazon?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I assume you're being humorous?

Hitch
Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Sorry but I'm not understanding you very well. You mean ebooks for Kindle not sold by Amazon? If so, that seems even to be a more technical thing that my previous statement (that was "extremedly technical", by the way ).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I assume you're being humorous?

Hitch
No, I am not.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The "it's not possible..." thing is a hangover, from the days when the SRL was set, both initially by bookmakers and by folks that set the "start" location using a bookmark in Word. Then, in...I think it was 2012, Amazon changed it to the "first full page after the TOC" thing, and that's when the "you can't start at the cover" bit commenced.

I know that some people have reported anecdotally that not trying to set an SRL has resulted in books opening at the cover. I haven't invested any time in sorting out the what/why of it. I had a client recently, prior to the new PG I quoted above, having a cow about his SRL and we tried a variety of things, to no avail--the book opened to the first chapter. And we're not pikers at this.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my thoughts are, run the book through MOBI unpack, and let's see what's in it? You could be the discoverer of the answer.

Hitch
For some reason, I had not really processed the above when I first read it.

Thanks for the historical explanation. That clears things up somewhat for me.

I did run it through kindleunpack, but I have no idea what to look for in the rawml.

I had naively assumed that someone would download a free sample and figure it out.