Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
elementz
elementz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Lightbulb [Enhancement Request]Calibre Navigation Buttons way too big

Hi all,

first of all I must say I love calibre. It simply make using my ebook reader even more fun.

One thing that I find quite irritating though, is that you chose such big icons for the navigation pane on the top. When using a small screen, many important buttons simply get hidden because not all of them fit on the screen, which decrease usability quite a bit in my humble opinion.

I thin it would be great to have an option to have the icons displayed like at a 4th of the current size. I figured that size would still be decently readable and wouldl not waste too much real estate on the navigation pane.

What do you think?

P.S.: If this is the wrong forum for feature requests, then please move to a more appropriate location. thx.
elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
You can change the size of the icons and remove the text too. Go to preferences -> Look and Feel (under layout) and choose between large/medium/small for icon size.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In Preferences -> Toolbars you can change what items show. Remove any that you don't use to make space. You can also reorder them. Also, you can add items to the menubar and use that instead of the toolbar (this is what I do as I also have a small screen). When There are no items in the toolbar / menubar it is automatically hidden.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
elementz
elementz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for your replies. I've actually set the icon size to small. But I think that is still way too big. Setting icon size to large makes them *huge*. I believe adjusting the relative icon size should still be on the devs list.
Maybe there's a way I can do it myself inside the code? Any devs around who can help with this?
elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe it's in calibre.gui2.layout.py I can't check or give yu the line number to look around because I'm away from my computer.
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz View Post
Thanks for your replies. I've actually set the icon size to small. But I think that is still way too big. Setting icon size to large makes them *huge*. I believe adjusting the relative icon size should still be on the devs list.
Maybe there's a way I can do it myself inside the code? Any devs around who can help with this?
Yes there is and it does not need code

In the <Calibre program folder> there is Resources/Images.
Copy the Images folder to YOUR (usually hidden) 'Calibre Configuration directory' (you can OPEN this by using the button on the Miscellaneous Preference section.

Now use your favorite graphics program to rescale the ones you find 'too big' at a small setting in Calibre.
Note: any Future Icon changes will not be seen until you make updates to this (override) folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Actually, I too wish the "small" icons were smaller; I don't consider the small ones very small either. But I wonder - if I continue to use text under my icons, would reducing the size of the icons actually give me any more real estate? Would it be possible to have an "ultra small" option that both reduced icon size and reduced font size for the icon text (I have to admit to liking the text, even being a long-time calibre user)? Is there any demand for this other than from me?
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
Actually, I too wish the "small" icons were smaller; I don't consider the small ones very small either. But I wonder - if I continue to use text under my icons, would reducing the size of the icons actually give me any more real estate? Would it be possible to have an "ultra small" option that both reduced icon size and reduced font size for the icon text (I have to admit to liking the text, even being a long-time calibre user)? Is there any demand for this other than from me?
I made a set of 75% icons that I placed in the (users) resources folder,
The Icon size scaler appears to still 'scale' those.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I made a set of 75% icons that I placed in the (users) resources folder,
The Icon size scaler appears to still 'scale' those.
This I need to look into. Last I looked I could have sworn the scaling was pixel based. Meaning small icons would always be scaled to 24x24(?) pixels no matter the original size.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
This I need to look into. Last I looked I could have sworn the scaling was pixel based. Meaning small icons would always be scaled to 24x24(?) pixels no matter the original size.
My Imagination might be getting the better of me
Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
user_none

Yep. layout.py is the file you want. Line 363 in function apply_settings. The sizes of 'small', 'medium', and 'large' are specified there.

Also, icons are in fact always set to a specific size and not scaled from the original. 24px in the case of small.

@theducks if the reduced size icon set increases the invisible area around the actual icon image then it would appear that the icon is smaller.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Yep. layout.py is the file you want. Line 363 in function apply_settings. The sizes of 'small', 'medium', and 'large' are specified there.

Also, icons are in fact always set to a specific size and not scaled from the original. 24px in the case of small.

@theducks if the reduced size icon set increases the invisible area around the actual icon image then it would appear that the icon is smaller.
I think what I did was to make them smaller in the Tag Browser (not scaled?), not in the main menu as I originally thought.

Last edited by theducks; 05-12-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
ddexter6
ddexter6 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, samsung tab
My problem is with the text under the icons for several of my plugins is way too long thereby making the icons use a lot of space regardless of how small I make the icons.
Is there a way to edit the text for a plugin icon? I know I can choose to never show text, but this applies to all the icons, which I do not want.

Can't seem to find the image file for the plugins' icon.

The particular plugins I am having an issue with are: Food Network Recipe Reader and all recipes Recipe Reader.

Thanks for any guidance you may be able to give
ddexter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddexter6 View Post
My problem is with the text under the icons for several of my plugins is way too long thereby making the icons use a lot of space regardless of how small I make the icons.
Is there a way to edit the text for a plugin icon? I know I can choose to never show text, but this applies to all the icons, which I do not want.

The particular plugins I am having an issue with are: Food Network Recipe Reader and all recipes Recipe Reader.

All icons have balloon help, just hover . Works even if there is no text under
Old 02-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddexter6 View Post

Try changing preference as per attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	118785  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote