Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Carlo Z
Mac dev
Carlo Z began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
New Mac tool for 2-way Instapaper sync

I hope this is the right board… I think it is, but if it isn't: apologies to the mods, feel free to move the thread to whereever.

Hi all,

the name's Carlo Zottmann, I'm a software dev from Munich, Germany, and I've been lurking the MobileRead forums for a few months by now. So far I didn't have anything to say, but now I have, and here I am.

Yesterday, I've released my first Mac tool. It's called Ephemera and allows for two-way syncs between a reader and one of my favourite sites, Instapaper.com.

(Instapaper is brilliant… It lets you mark pages on the net for later reading; when you have time, you catch up with your reading list. But that's just the first half of it; its second half is an iPhone client which lets you read the content-only, stripped-of-fluff versions of those pages on your handheld. Loving it.)

Having used IP for a few months, as soon as I got my Kindle I knew I just had to get my news on it as well. And only a few weeks later, here I am. Since app programming on a Kindle isn't possible (yet), I wrote the next best thing: a Mac app.

Ephemera will synchronize your ebook reader with Instapaper.com via USB. It works with the Amazon Kindle, Sony readers and pretty much any device capable of reading HTML, Mobipocket or EPUB files. Being a lazy person, I've also added some convenience features: Ephemera can automatically start up, sync, and then unmount your reader when it detects the USB connection.

Anyways, what good are tools unused? I'd be delighted if you guys could take a look, give it a spin, and let me know what you think. (Be gentle, please — it's my first Mac app. )

Many thanks,
Carlo

PS: Right now, it requires OSX Snow Leopard running on 64bit. I'm working on the 32bit version, but I'm still wrangling MacRuby there…

Last edited by Carlo Z; 02-17-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Carlo Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Once you have the 32 bit version, I'd be happy to take it for a spin. Yep, I'm stuck in the stone ages.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nice! I love Instapaper.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
Carlo Z
Mac dev

Thanks for the encouragement!

There was some progress in the 32bit department yesterday, the main MacRuby dev acknowledged the problem, so with a bit of luck they'll provide a fix soon which would enable me to build a 32bit version of Ephemera.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Evbart
Evbart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow, that's really cool! I love instapaper and i'm in Europe with a kindle 1 so I can't sync over the air, and I have a mac

would love to try it out when you have the 32 version up
Evbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Carlo Z
Mac dev

I've just released Ephemera v1.1 — it has 32bit support (finally), better auto-sync, support for password-less accounts and a couple of bug fixes.

Let me know what you think!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
randyharris
randyharris began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Ephemera and Instapaper are two deciding factors that have nudged me and I am now going to get an eReader, this combo makes it slick and easy to get reading material from the web onto an eReader - perfect for me.

Thanks!
randyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Just saw this thread again from the post bump. Thanks for the 32 bit version. I can finally try it out and enjoy easily transferred articles.

Thanks!
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote