Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #436
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That looks like something I wrote a few days ago. What more information do you want? The only extra thing I can add is that it isn't fixed in 2.8.1.
On sorry I haven't seen it ! np
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #437
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Well good luck and let us know

regards
Jack
Installed 2.8.1 on an original Touch. Runs perfectly. Maybe they have unified the firmware, makes sense.

V
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #438
indigorayne
indigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipseindigorayne can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-T1, kobo touch, kobo mini
2.8.1 on N905B

Just sideloaded 2.8.1 on old touch n905b with 8gb internal sd card all is good
indigorayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #439
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I used the 2.8.1 firmware link to download and update both my Glo and my 905B model Touch with ads. Seems to work fine on both, with the interesting side effect of removing ads from the Touch model. Not sure if this is permanent or temporary as I've had the Touch display covers instead of the expected ads in past with different firmwares. I note it as it may be of interest to those who've picked up a second hand Touch as I did and might like to see covers instead -someone posted a thread concerning this within the last week or so. Frankly, I've had my doubts concerning the ads as they seem not to have added any new ones in the past year or so I've owned the Touch. Maybe they've given up on the ad program?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #440
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Hi,

I got an old Kobo Touch, and I'm interested in updating to 2.8.1 as well.
Now I'm not sure if I got an N905 or N905b hardware revision. How can I distinguish them? I purchased the unit (in Canada) maybe a couple of months after they Touch got released.

Currently I'm running a 1.19.14 firmware. Do I need to install some interim firmware versions, or should I be fine sideloading 2.8.1 right away?

Thanks in advance for the advise!

Edit: Purchase date was 17/09/2011 at a "Best Buy" in Canada. The product number on the package reads N905-KBO-B

Last edited by Geeky; 07-25-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #441
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
Hi,

I got an old Kobo Touch, and I'm interested in updating to 2.8.1 as well.
Now I'm not sure if I got an N905 or N905b hardware revision. How can I distinguish them? I purchased the unit (in Canada) maybe a couple of months after they Touch got released.

Currently I'm running a 1.19.14 firmware. Do I need to install some interim firmware versions, or should I be fine sideloading 2.8.1 right away?

Thanks in advance for the advise!

Edit: Purchase date was 17/09/2011 at a "Best Buy" in Canada. The product number on the package reads N905-KBO-B
With that purchase date, it is almost definitely the N905. The model number is printed on the end near the USB port.

I would recommend letting the device upgrade itself via WiFi or the desktop app. There were some issues with some of the older devices that meant they had to go to intermediate firmware for upgrades. A batch of these were sold here in Australia. They needed a special 2.0.4 firmware to be installed before any later firmware could be. Once this was done once, it was OK from then on. I don't think yours will be one of them, but it is better to be safe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #442
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Thanks for your reply, davidfor!

I did a factory reset (back to ancient 1.9.5, they came a long way indeed), did the activation trick with MySQL and upgraded wirelessly to 2.5.2 (atm I'm located in Germany). Now any upgrade attempt using wireless sync fails.
Does Kobo block connections from Kobos without "proper" activation? Or is 2.5.2 the latest version rolled out in the area? Keep in mind, I own an old (vintage?) N905. A acquaintance of mine living in Germany got his Glo updated to the last rev. 2.6.x a while ago.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #443
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
Thanks for your reply, davidfor!

I did a factory reset (back to ancient 1.9.5, they came a long way indeed), did the activation trick with MySQL and upgraded wirelessly to 2.5.2 (atm I'm located in Germany). Now any upgrade attempt using wireless sync fails.
Does Kobo block connections from Kobos without "proper" activation? Or is 2.5.2 the latest version rolled out in the area? Keep in mind, I own an old (vintage?) N905. A acquaintance of mine living in Germany got his Glo updated to the last rev. 2.6.x a while ago.
The model number indicates that you have the original Touch model in black. The first part of the number would be N905B for a B model and N905C for the C model.

The older Touches were offered an update to 2.6.1 but when the updated 2.6.1b version came out for the Aura/Glo/Mini/Touch N905C, the 2.6.1 for the older Touches was removed from the automatic update leaving them at 2.5.2. I, along with a few other people, have used the 2.8.1 update to update the N905B Touch and it works. Another suggestion is to copy just the KoboRoot.tgz file from the update package to the .kobo directory which avoids possible issues with the files in the Upgrade directory.

Just in case, I would suggest opening up your Touch and seeing if it has a removeable uSD card. If so, make an image backup of the card before doing the update. You can check the Memory Upgrade Mod thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122) for more information on doing this.

If your Touch doesn't have a uSD card, time to roll the dice.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #444
Geeky
Enthusiast

Thanks DNSB for the detailed explanation! I guess I'll refrain from updating right now (i.e. let someone else do the testing ). Just in case the N905 isn't compatible with the newer firmwares. Anyway, great help from you all, again mobileread did prove to be the best place to go to and ask about your eReader!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #445
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Better safe than sorry, but if you have the internal SDHC card so you can make a backup first as DNSB suggested, you'll be fine if you decide to try. You can even install a larger card for more internal storage space.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #446
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
My Kobo Glo has now the interface of the Kobo Aura. What do I need to download in order to get my old interface back? I'm completely new when it comes to these things and I'm not sure where I need to post this question.

My Kobo currently has the 2.8.1 firmware and I have the 3.2.3 desktop on my computer.
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #447
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
This is neat. I just added several books to my 2.8.1 Glo, and the progress bar is much more intuitive than the older percentage-counter.

I do note, however, that the device does go to sleep fairly quickly after being disconnected from my computer, that the lost-most-recent-read bug is still around (see step 9 below), and that thumbnails aren't properly refreshed until after a full power-cycle.

Process on thumbnail bug:

1. Sideload new ebooks to internal memory via USB.
2. Eject the device and wait for the database to update.
3. Notice blank white covers that indicate a problem with those files. (In this case, a couple of OPF glitches.)
4. Delete the problematic ebooks from the device.
5. Fix the ebooks on the computer.
6. Reconnect the device and re-sideload the books, to the same places they were before.
7. See step 2.
8. Note that although the other metadata on those books has been updated, the covers are still blank except on the first tile, which is a "New" tile for one of the newly-reloaded books.
9. Shut down, noting that the screen now shows a plain black "powered off" screen instead of the cover of the last book I was reading.
10. Power up, note that all the affected covers have refreshed.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #448
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel- View Post
My Kobo Glo has now the interface of the Kobo Aura. What do I need to download in order to get my old interface back?

My Kobo currently has the 2.8.1 firmware and I have the 3.2.3 desktop on my computer.
I can't actually remember but based on post #1 of this thread it looks like downgrading to v2.5.2 may suit you. Post #3 outlines how to do it.

Welcome to MobileRead
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #449
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I can't actually remember but based on post #1 of this thread it looks like downgrading to v2.5.2 may suit you. Post #3 outlines how to do it.
2.5.2 is indeed the last Glo firmware with the "five covers" home screen.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #450
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Welcome to MobileRead
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll take a look
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote