Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Do all beginners.....

... develop a blister from pressing the page-turn button or am I just reading too much?

Same thing happened when my wife went away for two weeks... I got a blister doing the house work, i.e. turning on the dishwasher. (I never realized how difficult chores could be!?! )

But here's a serious question; every time I plug my Sony 505 into the computer to load books it also charges. As this is a rechargeable battery I think that I should allow the battery to discharge to almost empty before recharging so as not to set its memory at too shallow a level. Is it better to have a whole lot of books loaded, let the battery discharge, then add another load of books, or is it OK to add a new book every other day or so? I keep finding books I want to add!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if you're getting a blister from housework only when your wife goes away, you're not doing enough of it !

but seriously, i could be wrong but i've heard that the type of battery used in these devices actually works better if you don't let it run down completely, and "top it up" regularly.

there have been a few threads around on the topic, you might find them if you do a search for "battery charge" or something. alternately, someone who knows more about the technical side might come along and explain it better than i can...

but, in three words, i wouldn't worry.

as for the reading blister... you know, you have to start off slow and follow a serious training regime when you get a liseuse ! it's like cycling, you can't ride the Tour de France the week after you get a bicycle ! i would say, start off with 15 minute training sessions. then move to 30 minutes. then soon you can read for 1 hour. be sure to drink plenty of water while you're training, eat light and get plenty of rest. and don't forget special gear : besides the obvious good reading light, you might want to invest in a helmet to avoid brain strain from too much reading, and some gloves to protect your thumb...

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Harry T always says that it won't hurt this particular type of battery if you keep it charged up.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

as for the reading blister... you know, you have to start off slow and follow a serious training regime when you get a liseuse ! it's like cycling, you can't ride the Tour de France the week after you get a bicycle ! i would say, start off with 15 minute training sessions. then move to 30 minutes. then soon you can read for 1 hour. be sure to drink plenty of water while you're training, eat light and get plenty of rest. and don't forget special gear : besides the obvious good reading light, you might want to invest in a helmet to avoid brain strain from too much reading, and some gloves to protect your thumb...

That's good advice, but don't forget that stretching before and after strenuous reading is important also.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That's good advice, but don't forget that stretching before and after strenuous reading is important also.
good point !!! very important advice.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Stretching what?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Stretching what?
Stretching whatever body part you turn pages with, of course.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Stretching whatever body part you turn pages with, of course.
hmmm... this thread just turned into tips for a gymnast reader
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hmmm.... Does this mean I get to wear Spandex too?

Wow! I might even pull out my old Speedo swim suit!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Hmmm.... Does this mean I get to wear Spandex too?

Wow! I might even pull out my old Speedo swim suit!

Stitchawl
well, if you do, you'll be able to read faster.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
well, if you do, you'll be able to read faster.
You might want to consider painting go-faster stripes on the cover, too
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
You might want to consider painting go-faster stripes on the cover, too
i favor lightning bolts, myself (or flames. hard to decide), but stripes should work too.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i favor lightning bolts, myself (or flames. hard to decide), but stripes should work too.
They could probably be mixed to stylish effect - with flames at the bottom, lightning bolts at the top, and the stripes running across the middle...
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
They could probably be mixed to stylish effect - with flames at the bottom, lightning bolts at the top, and the stripes running across the middle...
i like it.

i'm going to make a cover like that, and i bet i read ALL of pg within the year !!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
i like it.

i'm going to make a cover like that, and i bet i read ALL of pg within the year !!
I found a prototype - please feel to improve on it (won't be hard...)

And I think you may make good inroads in Google's library as well as reading all of pg within the year