Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #7831
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Psssstt! It's NOT named after the island that it lands on when leaving the city of Kobe on the big island of Honshu. That's the name of the expressway that crosses over on it. I guess this doesn't help a lot either, does it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #7832
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Psssstt! It's NOT named after the island that it lands on when leaving the city of Kobe on the big island of Honshu. That's the name of the expressway that crosses over on it. I guess this doesn't help a lot either, does it.

Stitchawl
Well .... NO!
[still refusing to Google!]

As Poohbear [the original one, that is] would say "Think, think, think!"
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #7833
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I know the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge surpassed The Golden Gate bridge and is still the longest in the US.

Factoid: Since the VNB is at the entrance to NY Harbor cruise ships must pass underneath it and also most container ships. So they take the height of the bridge into consideration when building cruise ships. The Queen Mary 2 had to be slightly redesigned to accommodate the bridge's clearance at high tide.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #7834
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I know the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge surpassed The Golden Gate bridge and is still the longest in the US.

Factoid: Since the VNB is at the entrance to NY Harbor cruise ships must pass underneath it and also most container ships. So they take the height of the bridge into consideration when building cruise ships. The Queen Mary 2 had to be slightly redesigned to accommodate the bridge's clearance at high tide.
Yes, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is actually the answer to the first part of my quiz. So what year did it displace the Golden Gate Bridge as the longest single span suspension bridge at its time?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #7835
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Since it appears that Stichawl is the only one likely to be able to come up with the answer to the second part of the quiz, maybe he should do so.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #7836
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles

Yale Law did a study to basically see if people disagreeing with global warming were stupid. It turns out that they are no dumber than most. But what I found more disturbing was how badly my fellow Americans did on this basic quiz. All I can say is that I'm ashamed.

Here are two questions that were asked--

5) Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?

6) How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? (one day, one month, one year)

Only 72% of the 1540 people who took the quiz got question #5 correct. If they got question #5 correct they were asked question #6, and only 45% answered this one correctly. To be honest, I have a hard time believing we are really this dumb. Here is a link on the study.

EDIT: Here are couple other questions from the quiz that are math related.

Only 12% got this one correct.
A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Only 27% got this one correctly.
In a lake, there is a patch of lilypads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

Only 3% got this one correct.
Suppose you have a close friend who has a lump in her breast and must have a mammogram. Of 100 women like her, 10 of them actually have a malignant tumor and 90 of them do not. Of the 10 women who actually have a tumor, the mammogram indicates correctly that 9 of them have a tumor and indicates incorrectly that 1 of them does not have a tumor. Of the 90 women who do not have a tumor, the mammogram indicates correctly that 81 of them do not have a tumor and indicates incorrectly that 9 of them do have a tumor. The table below summarizes all of this information. Imagine that your friend tests positive (as if she had a tumor), what is the likelihood that she actually has a tumor?

Last edited by Daithi; 05-28-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #7837
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
5) Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?

I always thought the Earth revolved around me... Where did I go wrong?

Stitchawl
Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #7838
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yes, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is actually the answer to the first part of my quiz. So what year did it displace the Golden Gate Bridge as the longest single span suspension bridge at its time?
I lost my virginity while parked under the Verrazano bridge as a teenager...
Back seat of a '56 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Since it appears that Stichawl is the only one likely to be able to come up with the answer to the second part of the quiz, maybe he should do so.
Well, OK.... the name is 明石海峡大橋

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 05-29-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #7839
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Well, OK.... the name is 明石海峡大橋

He, das ist nicht fair!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #7840
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post

He, das ist nicht fair!

I never once said I was fair!
But being such a nice guy, I'll tell you using Romaji instead of Kanji.

The bridge is called the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, and it spans the Inland Sea between the city of Kobe, which is on Honshu (Japan's largest island) and leads to the island of Shikoku. It actually doesn't 'touch' Shikoku though... there is another small island that it lands upon, then goes via expressway to Shikoku. Other than if you are born there, there isn't much reason to go to Shikoku... I think Japan could probably sell Shikoku and nobody here would even be aware of it.

Stitchawl
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #7841
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I never once said I was fair!
But being such a nice guy, I'll tell you using Romaji instead of Kanji.

The bridge is called the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, and it spans the Inland Sea between the city of Kobe, which is on Honshu (Japan's largest island) and leads to the island of Shikoku. It actually doesn't 'touch' Shikoku though... there is another small island that it lands upon, then goes via expressway to Shikoku. Other than if you are born there, there isn't much reason to go to Shikoku... I think Japan could probably sell Shikoku and nobody here would even be aware of it.

Stitchawl

Well Shikoku does have its occasional uses. Much of the novel Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami takes place there.

So to provide the complete answers:

The Verrazano Narrows Bridge (tower to tower distance 1298 m) replaced the Golden Gate Bridge as the longest single span suspension bridge when it was completed in 1964.

The Akashi Kaikyō Bridge (1991 m) is the current longest and was completed in 1988.

So the floor is again open to anyone with a good quiz.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #7842
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have one.

What was the most expensive published book sold at auction?

Title
Author
Date sold
Amount

Note it must have been published.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #7843
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

James Audubon’s Birds of America was sold in 2010 or 2011 for I think $10 million.

Edit: I'd still rather have The Gutenberg Bible. I'm pretty sure that if one were to be sold at auction today it would probably go for $25+ million. Individual pages have been known to sell for over $25,000.

Last edited by Daithi; 05-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #7844
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
James Audubon’s Birds of America was sold in 2010 or 2011 for I think $10 million.

Edit: I'd still rather have The Gutenberg Bible. I'm pretty sure that if one were to be sold at auction today it would probably go for $25+ million. Individual pages have been known to sell for over $25,000.
That's correct. Birds of America was sold for £7.3 million ($11.5 million) in Dec 2010.

I mentioned published because other books were sold for higher amounts but they were author's manuscripts. The Gutenberg's Bible was never published.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #7845
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Side Note: What does it mean to be published? I'd always been told that the Gutenberg's Bible was the first book published. I knew this wasn't true because even Gutenberg used his printing press to produce other books before he printed the Bible. However, I have always considered the Gutenberg Bible as published, because he did use a printing press to produce 180 of them. So, what is the actual criteria for "published"?

================================================== ==========

N E W Q U I Z ! ! !

Only 3% of Americans got this question correct on the Yale Law Quiz mentioned above.

Suppose you have a close friend who has a lump in her breast and must have a mammogram. Of 100 women like her, 10 of them actually have a malignant tumor and 90 of them do not. Of the 10 women who actually have a tumor, the mammogram indicates correctly that 9 of them have a tumor and indicates incorrectly that 1 of them does not have a tumor. Of the 90 women who do not have a tumor, the mammogram indicates correctly that 81 of them do not have a tumor and indicates incorrectly that 9 of them do have a tumor. The table below summarizes all of this information. Imagine that your friend tests positive (as if she had a tumor), what is the likelihood that she actually has a tumor?

Bonus Questions

Q) Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?

Q) How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? (one day, one month, one year)

Q) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Q) In a lake, there is a patch of lilypads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?