Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #31
macsolns
macsolns began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Is there any way to get an (epub file) iBook onto the iPad Simulator?

I have an iBook almost complete and would like to see how it looks on the iPad -- without buying the real thing
macsolns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Install iBooks on your iPod Touch and load the ePub there to test it out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #33
macsolns
macsolns began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
ebook on iPad simulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Install iBooks on your iPod Touch and load the ePub there to test it out.
Have been doing that -- testing the ebook on the iPhone. I want to see how it will look with the wider (and taller) format of the iPad.
macsolns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsolns View Post
Have been doing that -- testing the ebook on the iPhone. I want to see how it will look with the wider (and taller) format of the iPad.
If it looks OK on the iPhone/iPod Touch, it should look just fine on the iPad.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #35
jfdeclercq
ePaper Enthousiast
jfdeclercq began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hello

I have created ePub files with Calibre from html (dump of my Google Site).
- in SIGIL, everything looks fine
- in Calibre's eBook viewer everything is fine
- in Adobe Digital Editions, images are ok but I can't scrll down in long pages ?
- in iBooks on the iPad, I don't see the images
- in BlueFire on the ipad, I don't see the images

Any idea on why images don't display on the iPad ?

If you want I can upload a sample and some screenshots somewhere...

J-F
jfdeclercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #36
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdeclercq View Post
Hello

I have created ePub files with Calibre from html (dump of my Google Site).
- in SIGIL, everything looks fine
- in Calibre's eBook viewer everything is fine
- in Adobe Digital Editions, images are ok but I can't scrll down in long pages ?
- in iBooks on the iPad, I don't see the images
- in BlueFire on the ipad, I don't see the images

Any idea on why images don't display on the iPad ?

If you want I can upload a sample and some screenshots somewhere...

J-F
If the images are in a table they wont display in iBooks.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
If the images are in a table they wont display in iBooks.
iBooks is crap. BlueFire is good.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #38
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iBooks is crap. BlueFire is good.
How do you get your own books into Bluefire?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
How do you get your own books into Bluefire?
You can load them into Bluefire via iTunes. Bluefire is based on ADE. iBooks is based on the ego of Steve Jobs. It's there it's in your face but it's got major issues.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #40
wannabee
Media Bloke

Thanks for that JSWolf.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #41
misskennedy
misskennedy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl

Actually, I re-read your question. You can drag-and-drop [b
any non-DRM[/b] epub file into iTunes and sync up your iPad and the book will be in the iBooks application.
What is "non-DRM"?
I just maked a test by editing a book I downloaded at Itunes in Sigil, making a few changes and save it under a different name. Then I draged and dropped this file into the Books folder of the Itune Library, but this file isn't shown in Itunes...The "non-DRM" thing may be the cause?
misskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #42
wannabee
Media Bloke

Most books from itunes have Digital Rights Management which is like a lock wrapped around the file to stop editing and copying. I don't think you can open a DRMed book file in Sygil.
When moving a file to iPad you don't put it into a folder. You open iTunes with the iPad plugged into the USB port. The iPad will show up in the left column under Devices.
Click the iPad. Select Apps in the other panel which shows the apps installed on the ipad and scroll down until you see the app you want to add a book to. With the app selected, drag the file you want to add to it to the list next to the app.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #43
misskennedy

Ah, THAT is "DRM".
Thank you for the Tip Mark. Unfortunately, Ibooks doesn't appear in the list of Apps that can import/export files...

Edit ah, I found a way ! Drag and drop the file from desktop into Itunes books window. Now its on my Ipad and I can finally test what I'm doing :-)

Last edited by misskennedy; 06-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #44
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I use Calibre to convert my ebooks to epub. I keep my Calibre libraries on Dropbox, then use the Dropbox app to download them to iPad and open them with iBooks. Never had a problem & iTunes only knows about the books when/if I sync my iPad with my PC.

Of course none of my ebooks have DRM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #45
misskennedy

Dropbox...god idea, thanks!