Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Is it possible to run Kindle app on new NC without rooting?

Just saw the new NC at a B&N close to home. I must confess it feels actually better than previous one.

I wonder if someone tested or installed Kindle apk without rooting. Is that possible?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Yes. When you download the .apk a pop up will appear hit package installer. This will take you to another menu, check the box that says allow apps from unknown sources. And then reclick the .apk and run package installer again this time it will install. The app will not appear in your app list you have to search for it. Or you can install launcher pro and button savior.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
Yes. When you download the .apk a pop up will appear hit package installer. This will take you to another menu, check the box that says allow apps from unknown sources. And then reclick the .apk and run package installer again this time it will install. The app will not appear in your app list you have to search for it. Or you can install launcher pro and button savior.
Thanks for reply.

Do you have a link or instructions for the last one, installing launcher pro, etc?

Also, hows your experience with the Nook Tablet so far. Would you mind sharing?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I followed this page:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-without-hack/

In general terms, the steps are:

1. ATTEMPT to install an apk that triggers access to Android's Application Settings menu so that you can enable "Allow installation of non-Market apps". (I write attempt, because the instructions mention installing Go Launcher, which I don't like, and which also broke apk installation for me.)

2. Install the alternate launcher (home screen) of your choice. My personal choice is Launcher Pro.

3. At this point, non-B&N apps are only visible through search.

4. Install Button Savior to gain easy access to the alternate launcher. I grabbed the apk from the attachments here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865525
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I followed this page:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-without-hack/

In general terms, the steps are:

1. ATTEMPT to install an apk that triggers access to Android's Application Settings menu so that you can enable "Allow installation of non-Market apps". (I write attempt, because the instructions mention installing Go Launcher, which I don't like, and which also broke apk installation for me.)

2. Install the alternate launcher (home screen) of your choice. My personal choice is Launcher Pro.

3. At this point, non-B&N apps are only visible through search.

4. Install Button Savior to gain easy access to the alternate launcher. I grabbed the apk from the attachments here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865525
Thank you.

I managed to install the Kindke apk without any extra step or launcher. But how do you gracefully close the Kindle app when you are done with it?
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Thank you.

I managed to install the Kindke apk without any extra step or launcher. But how do you gracefully close the Kindle app when you are done with it?
You shouldn't really need to. You can just go on to another app or back to the home screen and let Android worry about it.

If you really want it shut down, one of the XDA devs wrote AppMenu http://comptonsoft.com/test/ Installing it gives you ready access to Android's advanced application menu (the one where you enabled non-Market apps). In the "Manage applications" section, you can "force stop" it.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Thanks for reply.

Do you have a link or instructions for the last one, installing launcher pro, etc?

Also, hows your experience with the Nook Tablet so far. Would you mind sharing?
No problem, and thanks to jasonkchapman for his help. That is what these forums are for.

I am in love with my Nook Tab. I am typing on it now and while it may seem on paper like a turbo charged Nook Color to me it is more. The added ram and higher CPU make for a better media experience and the ability to install third party apps without rooting makes the device almost the perfect seven inch tablet. I am an amazon prime subscriber so i bought the fire, also I own several hundred kindle books as well as some movies and TV shows.

I was going to return the nook and just keep the fire because of the multimedia options and the nook app for android seems, to me, to be better than the stock nook app running on the tab. Whereas the stock Kindle fire reader is better than the kindle app. But I just finished installing the amazon video apk onto my NTab and the video is much better. So now I have the amazon app store app, music app, and video app. All of which perform better on the Nook. So i will be returning or gifting the Fire.

Now if only BN can add some cut and paste and spell check i would be a very happy camper.

I like BN and am thankful they didn'tlock down the device so that it needed rooting. They have made me an even more loyal customer. My better half and i go on BN dates for coffee and reading and we always leave after purchasing something from the store so as to help the brick and mortar. I would hate for BN to go the way of the Borders.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
I would hate for BN to go the way of the Borders.
100% agree.

The issue that I have is that the B&N prices are too high, and the IT book collection is poor or too old (releases of 2 or more years ago) I also believe that the on-site Nook customer support or technician's skill level is not up to Amazon's level. At least, that has been my impression here in Texas, in a couple of stores close to home.

But I truly enjoy B&N. I visit the store and spend some bucks on paper books and coffee almost every weekend, with my wife.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I personally would have upgraded to either one if they would have had bluetooth that worked on them. That is the only thing I really miss on the nook color.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote