Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Creating E pub in Pages question

Ok I have been experimenting in Pages. I see the trouble I'm having is self explainatory of you look at the screenshot. I need the circled text to start on a new page in epub. I tried the following:

added blank pages
adding sections
adding page breaks
adding layout breaks
( which I do not know if these were done correctly)

The text in the Pages documents were pasted from a word doc and set using the E Pub Best Practices Template.

I did notice that If I copied the template a few times so there were lets say 4 pages and then added blanks in between I still get the next page starting to early, follow?

There hads to be a way to get the correct flow. Started looking at the explainations on all the breaks but what they say the breals do does not come up in e pub.

Anyone?

RD
SEE attached img
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pages_EPubSS.png
Views:	201
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	86936  
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I really like Pages, I use it on my MBP, and on the iPad, but I wouldn't use it to create an ePub.

I don't suppose you are using a Mac, or you might consider iBooks Author which has been designed by Apple specifically for creating iBooks.

There are also a bunch of apps on the appstore for creating books on the iPad, but I don't know how good or bad they might be.

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your particular issue... I'm not sure there is a solution, because most references I get when I use google to search, come up with solutions which involve using an application on your computer and then transferring to iPad.

Of course I may have completely misunderstood. Are you using Pages on your computer, or on your iPad, for this task? For some reason, I thought you were doing it on the iPad. If not... save yourself some grief and download iBooks Author, which is free.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 05-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I've saved documents as epubs in pages but I believe the formatting is limited.

Perhaps look at specific writing apps that have epub output like Scrivener or Ulysses. Scrivener has a 30 day trial period and you can import your pages work, though I think they must be saved as a specific file type first, but it's very easy to do.

I can't comment on Ulysses much, I've read the tutorial but haven't worked with it. The one thing going for it is price, it's cheaper than Scrivener by 75%.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I haven't used pages but A sure fire way to get the text to start at the top of a new page is to ensure that it is a new file. Work out how pages splits content into various XHTML files and make that text the start of the next file.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Ah now I'm getting somewhere, I opened the epub file and see I have pages inside (chapter-1.xhtml - chapter-2.xhtml -etc) in those xhtml pages I can see the text I need to move is part of the chapter before so I need to remove the text and add it to a new chapter and do a bit of renumbering which is easy. So do I just resave the xhtml docs I edit and rename the zip to .epub?

RD

Last edited by ralphiedee; 05-28-2012 at 08:15 AM.
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee View Post
Ah now I'm getting somewhere, I opened the epub file and see I have pages inside (chapter-1.xhtml - chapter-2.xhtml -etc) in those xhtml pages I can see the text I need to move is part of the chapter before so I need to remove the text and add it to a new chapter and do a bit of renumbering which is easy. So do I just resave the xhtml docs I edit and rename the zip to .epub?

RD
There's a little bit more to it. They have to be replaced so the mimetype file is first and uncompressed.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote