Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
Azumanga
Azumanga began at the beginning.

Device: DR505
Is the 505 still worth getting?

Sorry if this thread should be in "what should I buy", but seeing as it's a sony-only choice, I thought this would be a better place to ask

I'm current choosing between the PRS-300, 505 and 600. The 505 is still for sale in the UK. Even though it is older, I am leaning towards the 505, as I worry 300MB or so might fill up quickly with comics and the like (so no 300), and between the 505 and 600, I don't care about touchscreen and most people seem to think the 505 has a better screen.

Given most recent firmwares and the like, is there any disadvantages to the 505? Is it getting too long in the tooth, or is it still worth getting?
Azumanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
The 505 cannot pan and zoom like the 600 where you can zoom and then drag around the page. So if you magnify comics, the page gets split into a matrix of 3x3. You can jump from one to another lying beside the first, but you cannot "fine tune" where the zoom window is located.
Other than that, I think the 505 is still a good choice. I upgraded to the 600 because of the zoom allthough I like the 505s screen better.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Azumanga. If it's anything to go by, I've been studying impartial device reviews here at MR for eighteen months. About a year ago, I went for the 505 (bought in the UK), and everything I've read before or since suggests I made the right choice. Mind you, I read only straight text novels on my 505. It's all a matter of horses for courses -- choosing what best fits your needs. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
The 505 cannot pan and zoom like the 600 where you can zoom and then drag around the page. So if you magnify comics, the page gets split into a matrix of 3x3. You can jump from one to another lying beside the first, but you cannot "fine tune" where the zoom window is located.
Other than that, I think the 505 is still a good choice. I upgraded to the 600 because of the zoom allthough I like the 505s screen better.
Just to add a little to your nice list,
- 600 is faster.
- 600 can do continuous page turns (swipe-and-hold), not just skip 10 pages like the 505. And when you release your hold, the 600 amazingly stops just at the page you wanted it to stop. I thought it might overrun to the next page, because the pages are turning fast enough that it doesn't seem possible that you can release your hold quickly enough when you see a particular page where you want it to stop. Maybe it's software help, where it backs up a little, like TiVo? You might like this feature if you want to skip over some uninteresting newspaper or magazine article.

Caveat, I've only tried the 600 in stores a couple of times, am not an owner. I didn't buy it because I like the whitest background possible--I even think the 505's background is too dark. Just a personal thing, never heard anyone else complain of this on the 505 or comparable screens.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I was messing with a 600 a bit in a store a couple of days ago. Am I the only one who thinks the page-turning swipe is backwards? Great if you're reading manga, I suppose, but my natural motion for page-turning is right to left, because that's what you do with a physical book; I kept going backwards rather than forwards.

I've had my 505 for almost a year now, and I haven't regretted that choice for a moment. The 300 doesn't have an SD card slot. The 600 ... well, I don't get along with touch screens. Aside from the contrast/clarity issue (and looking at a 300 and 600 side by side, it was very noticeable) there's the problem that I tend to read while doing things that are bad for touch screens, like eating Cheetos.

We're now a two-505 household, since I wasn't about to turn loose of mine. Since the 505 isn't available regular retail in the US, we had to get the second one off eBay (which involved me coaching my better half in the fine art of bid sniping ... via cell phone from a parking lot in another city ... because I couldn't be home when the auction closed, and like an idiot, I'd left my netbook on my desk).

Out of the "big 3" ebook readers on the market (Sony, Kindle, Nook) I think the Sony is the best, and out of the 5"/6" Sony devices, I think the 505 is the best. Why Sony decided to discontinue it when people want it enough to pay, in some cases, more than MSRP on eBay to get one, boggles the imagination. Then again, this is Sony, whose marketing ranges from benignly neglectful to downright strange.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I was messing with a 600 a bit in a store a couple of days ago. Am I the only one who thinks the page-turning swipe is backwards? Great if you're reading manga, I suppose, but my natural motion for page-turning is right to left, because that's what you do with a physical book; I kept going backwards rather than forwards.
This came up in another thread recently and I'm pretty sure, without having any personal experience, that the page turn swipe can be configured to be either direction.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Why Sony decided to discontinue it when people want it enough to pay, in some cases, more than MSRP on eBay to get one...
Well, I probably just keep my 505 for some more time and see if prices are going to soar

No joking, I think the 505s screen is really awesome (despite still a little grayish), but the functions, speed etc. of the 600 fit my needs better.

What I wanted to post initially was about the page swipe.
I thought the same with the left-right swipe and changed it once. But the forward and backward buttons seem then really out of tune as they operate just the other way round and I caught myself flipping back instead of forward in the book when using the buttons
So I changed the swipe back to default and just got used to it....
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
505 is still a good choice, love the screen and the hardware design as well as the UI. It's very easy to navigate through your books and just read.

The only caveat is that it doesn't display ePubs fully justified, so you may find yourself wanting to use LRF format, which isn't currently sold at many e-book retailers. So there could be more maintenance required for book tweaking and conversions in Calibre. Otherwise, it's great.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #9
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
505's screen is rivaled only by 300. 600 has noticeably lower contrast + more glare.
But 300 is smaller, has no expansion slot, less buttons, no music player/picture viewer (ok, nobody cares) and doesn't come with cover.

Teddman
Quote:
The only caveat is that it doesn't display ePubs fully justified, so you may find yourself wanting to use LRF format, which isn't currently sold at many e-book retailers. So there could be more maintenance required for book tweaking and conversions in Calibre. Otherwise, it's great.
Afaik at the moment only 900 supports justified ePubs.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

I love my 505 and can't see myself parting from it, though I imagine that Sony has improved their eReaders.

Still the 505, with PRS+ and that other book application which I can't remember the name of, instead of Sony's software has definitely extended the life of the 505 for quite some time.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Minneman View Post
I love my 505 and can't see myself parting from it, though I imagine that Sony has improved their eReaders.

Still the 505, with PRS+ and that other book application which I can't remember the name of, instead of Sony's software has definitely extended the life of the 505 for quite some time.
calibre?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I read straight text, no comics, and find my 505 excellent for my purposes. I looked that the newer models in Waterstones, and they didn't make me feel "Gotta get it" - nice but not essential. I find the 505 screen is superb, the speed of page turns is fine, and navigation is good for my needs. Plus the ability to stick a 4Gb card in there - I'm never going to run out of room! The only dislikes - the manky software which Sony supply (get Calibre!) and the insistence on sorting collections by load date.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

My only gripe with the 505 is that it can't fully justify ePubs. All the more frustrating because it seems easily fixable with a firmware update... Get on it, Sony!
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #14
Azumanga
Azumanga began at the beginning.

Device: DR505
Thanks all for your replies. I think I've decided I fancy a quality screen, 6" and an expansion port, it is the 505 for me!
Azumanga is offline   Reply With Quote